Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Soldato
Ended up buying and installing.

Was seamless up until a lot of things just stopped working once it had finished installing. Had to faff around with trackpad, Bluetooth keyboard, laptops keyboard, changing the UI to how I like it through regedit once again. Got it to work now and getting my head round some of the decisions, which at this moment in time, I think are stupid. I can't see myself spending much time in metro other than typing to start applications much like I did before in 7. Also, why would they not allow you to change the Metro background? Decor8 changed this...

The charms bar is utterly stupid and the hot corners are terribly finicky. It doesn't feel cohesive at this point in time.

Now I shall stay in the desktop and feel smug at my under the hood improvements.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Just a quick question before I do a roll back or a new install.

Upgraded to win 8 no problems with install, activated ok , received my media player key installed no problem ,key activated ok. Plugged in my usb tv stick . Installed working no problems and then window 8 flags me to activate again, try to activate but all it keeps saying is, can’t activate at this time.
Had this problem since last weekend everything still works ok , nothing blocked. Screen keeps popping up telling me to activate which I do but same message which is driving me mad. Any help would be appreciated.

Soldato
Well after trying It on my spare SSD and checking my programs work ive blitzed my Win 7 install and put Win 8 on my M4.

Steam works ok as do my games ( well apart from bioshock 2 ) but everytime it boots it complains about steam needing to install something or other running in admin mode. But if I press cancel it runs perfectly fine :confused:

When I restart ill write the message down :p

But yeah, so far the best £25 ive spent this year :)

Soldato
Just a quick question before I do a roll back or a new install.

Upgraded to win 8 no problems with install, activated ok , received my media player key installed no problem ,key activated ok. Plugged in my usb tv stick . Installed working no problems and then window 8 flags me to activate again, try to activate but all it keeps saying is, can’t activate at this time.
Had this problem since last weekend everything still works ok , nothing blocked. Screen keeps popping up telling me to activate which I do but same message which is driving me mad. Any help would be appreciated.
u may need to phone activate has your usb tv stick may have triggered windows thinking you've changed some hardware.

Associate
Just a quick question. Wanting to upgrade my 7 Pro x64 installation but it's complaining that I don't have enough free space to do the download and doesn't seem to offer an option to change the download location to a drive with space. If I download on my 7 Home x32 machine will I still be able to get the x64 version?

Caporegime
If I download Win 8, will it install straight over Win 7 and allow me to keep everything as it is? Or will it wipe everything, meaning I'll have to back up to another HDD first? I'm a bit of a noob, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom