Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Soldato
Hmm,

Im about to build a new PC, and currently have a Windows XP Home CD...would i need to install XP onto my new build PC and then run the assistant thing to then get Windows 8?

Cheers :)

Associate
Hmm,

Im about to build a new PC, and currently have a Windows XP Home CD...would i need to install XP onto my new build PC and then run the assistant thing to then get Windows 8?

Cheers :)

Yeah that is what i did to use my old xp home license to upgrade from.

When you have upgraded you will get an email confirming your upgrade along with a link to download windows 8. If you access this email on a machine running a 64bit version of windows vista or 7 then you can download and create a 64 bit installation version of windows 8 which will then allow you to do a fresh install.

Associate
I used Windows 7 from RC on my main rig.
I used Windows 8 from RC on my main rig.

The Windows 7 Aero interface is so much sexier even on old desktop and not as good monitor. I'm considering going back.

Caporegime
You can create an image it refreshes to, so you can keep program's etc at time of image creation
It made an 8gb file for me, but this is well worth doing once you have your computer all set up.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matt-harrin...-windows-8-refresh-image-with-recimg-exe.aspx

Sorry, I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows 7 as I have a £15 upgrade voucher.

Howver I'm confused about this post.

If I upgrade what does this mean to me? I don't have much in the way of apps installed, only the usual Winamp/CS5.5 and a few Steam games and video codecs, will all that need re-installing?

will I also lose all of my films/MP3's office documents?

Caporegime
You can create an image it refreshes to, so you can keep program's etc at time of image creation
It made an 8gb file for me, but this is well worth doing once you have your computer all set up.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matt-harrin...-windows-8-refresh-image-with-recimg-exe.aspx

Sorted, thanks!

Sorry, I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows 7 as I have a £15 upgrade voucher.

Howver I'm confused about this post.

If I upgrade what does this mean to me? I don't have much in the way of apps installed, only the usual Winamp/CS5.5 and a few Steam games and video codecs, will all that need re-installing?

will I also lose all of my films/MP3's office documents?

No. You have a choice of either a complete clean install, or keep all of your programs, files, settings, etc.

When you download and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, it will show you a list of all the programs you have that are compatible with 8, as well as the ones that are not.

The 'refresh' option Glaucus is referring to becomes relevant once you already have Windows 8 and need to go back to a fresh version (whilst keeping your files) due to an error, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used Windows 7 from RC on my main rig.
I used Windows 8 from RC on my main rig.

The Windows 7 Aero interface is so much sexier even on old desktop and not as good monitor. I'm considering going back.

Seriously Aero glass isn't THAT good even taking subjective opinion into account, or do you mean the interface as a whole?

Associate
Have upgraded my ancient Dell Latitude D620 laptop (previously using Win 7) with a nice new Kingston V300 SSD and Windows 8, and it feels so much nicer and quicker to use.

I'm reasonably familiar with 8 now, but after using this laptop on this setup since around Christmas I'm definitely pondering deploying 8 across the rest of my home network (HTPC, gaming desktop, missus' laptop, print/storage/web-serving ancient laptop).

Associate
I finally completed the upgrade of my father's computer to windows 8 (just for those who haven't yet, you can use the install windows icon left on the desktop to do the upgrade without having to input the key) with only a few blips with one being a few updates that supposedly failed (I say supposedly failed because all the failed updates were device drivers (GPU, sound and one other) and after I looked through the device manager I was told that there had been some device changes (I can't be sure of the actual message) and that I had to re-start the computer, and after a few seconds the Nvidia settings icon appeared in the system tray) with the other being that all the files that were salvaged from the previous OS being kept in the documents folder meaning that I'd have to move all the necessary files over to the music folder so that iTunes can find them once I've gotten that installed (along with all the other software that I need to install).

Another little problem I've come across is actually down to my older sister, since when she installed that dodgy copy of windows XP pro, she split the hard drive in two with one partition holding the operating system and files and the second being completely blank and unformatted which I want to eradicate by expanding the first partition into that space (I know there should be a way to do this in windows 8, but I don't know where to go to get the job done).

Soldato
Another little problem I've come across is actually down to my older sister, since when she installed that dodgy copy of windows XP pro, she split the hard drive in two with one partition holding the operating system and files and the second being completely blank and unformatted which I want to eradicate by expanding the first partition into that space (I know there should be a way to do this in windows 8, but I don't know where to go to get the job done).
right click on computer > manage > Disk Management

or

click the bottom left to bring the start screen up then type Disk Management then click settings on the right then u should see create and format hard disk partitions...

Soldato
Made the upgrade to Windows 8 as I was running a youknowwhatversion of XP because my laptop came with Vista which seemed to crash anytime a video thumbnail appeared (not good when I was using it to edit video).

I moved over from a blank set up so have no comments on the document and settings transfer.
However, as for the OS I really like it. It is strange not using the old style 'start menu', but I do really that you can switch between a desktop and tile menu. I only use a handful of things and I think the tile menu is actually a better desktop for quick daily browsing, and then easily switch with a key press if you need use the regular desktop to open up lots of windows.

Soldato
Thought id ask this here, as i don't want to make a new thread.

Is it ok to use Windows key + p to disable my second screen for a few hours when im not using it? Or should i just switch the monitor off by its power button?

The second screen is using my i5 igpu, and i don't really like the idea of turning it off and on again with Windows + p, but i guess the option is there for a reason, so it should be ok?

Associate
I'm thinking at £25 is an absolute bargain, one question though, anyone know if the d/l only will allow you to make a bootable disc. I occasionally like to wipe/start afresh with a clean install. Don't want to have to rely on a d/l everytime I want a clear out.

Associate
I'm thinking at £25 is an absolute bargain, one question though, anyone know if the d/l only will allow you to make a bootable disc. I occasionally like to wipe/start afresh with a clean install. Don't want to have to rely on a d/l everytime I want a clear out.

Yes, you can choose to make a bootable disk or a USB stick when it is downloaded. The whole of the files needed are also in a folder in the Windows folder on your boot drive once it is installed so creating another boot disk would be quite easy.

You have the function to re-install Windows from within Windows in Windows 8. It can either do a clean install or re-install and keep the application and data - your choice. Saves a whole re-format and reinstall I think.

Associate
right click on computer > manage > Disk Management

or

click the bottom left to bring the start screen up then type Disk Management then click settings on the right then u should see create and format hard disk partitions...

It's actually an option when you right-click on a partition, but I can't do anything until I delete the unformatted F: partition since the option to expand the C: partition is greyed out.

Another thing I'll probably have to do is to set up a shut down tile on the start screen since my father didn't know how to shut it down (but that was because I hadn't told him how to shut it down).

And another thing that is annoying me is that after all the driver update install failures through windows update I decided to manually install the drivers I had that didn't see to have installed, but windows update (and the action centre) is telling me that the sound card driver hasn't been installed.

Soldato
Yes, you can choose to make a bootable disk or a USB stick when it is downloaded. The whole of the files needed are also in a folder in the Windows folder on your boot drive once it is installed so creating another boot disk would be quite easy.

You have the function to re-install Windows from within Windows in Windows 8. It can either do a clean install or re-install and keep the application and data - your choice. Saves a whole re-format and reinstall I think.

Could you tell me what this folder would be called? I'm not on my laptop at the moment so cannot view the Windows 8 folder.

Back
Top Bottom