Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Soldato
Works fine on Windows 7.

Once any software hits 8 years old there's a good chance that new OS's may start to leave them behind, it all depends how dependant the original Developers made the software on a particular OS.

Software designed with XP in mind has I higher chance of not running on newer OS's as everyone basically had access to everything when it came to programming, whereas MS has ring-fenced the newer OS's kernal so nobody has access to it for security. As MS push on and make this more and more out reaching, more and more titles may get caught in the compatibility trap.

The title probably needs a patch to remove some earlier OS dependencies that can no longer be accessed..

Last edited:
Soldato
Kitch if you're replying to me I got bored of you and bunged you on my ignore list - You didn't seem to like any negative criticism or whining as you call it about a bit of software in a discussion thread about said bit of software - it was tiresome. Save yourself the effort.

Unfortunately, you're continued line of comments do come across as 'whiney'.

For some reason, you seem to have more issues than the average person on here that's actually used Windows 8.

You've said you're sticking to Windows 7. Good for you. There are also numerous Linux distro's you're welcome to try, most of which do actually have a start button.

Caporegime
Unfortunately, you're continued line of comments do come across as 'whiney'.

For some reason, you seem to have more issues than the average person on here that's actually used Windows 8.

Is this not the place to discuss Windows 8?

Is it wrong that I can discuss it's pros and cons based on my usage? To discuss frustrating aspects of it? There are hundreds of reviews and articles of people with similar frustrations and yet in here it's all rosey, it's all good chaps, lets all get our crayons out.

If people want to get defensive over my dislike of a bit of software that they think is the second coming then I think the problem may not lie with me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this not the place to discuss Windows 8?

Is it wrong that I can discuss it's pros and cons based on my usage? To discuss frustrating aspects of it?

If people want to get very defensive that I don't like a bit of software then I think the problem may not lie with me.

Nothing wrong at all with discussing pros and cons, and when you start discussing the pros, we'll all be watching intently.

Caporegime
I did, if you'd read my posts instead of just inanely posting:

It boots faster than windows 7.

That is all. The only thing that I have noticed over 7 that is positive in a week or so.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did, if you'd read my posts instead of just inanely posting:

It boots faster than windows 7.

That is all. The only thing that I have noticed over 7 that is positive in a week or so.
there's more than that. ssd optimize tool, better task manager, built in iso mount, built in VM (Hyper-V), Native USB 3.0 Support, ect

Last edited:
Soldato
its a fresh install. So far its been Bioshock (booted up before but no sound now wont boot) and Saints Row the Third (lets me play for 2-10 minutes then quits to desktop). Ive read bioshock is a pain anyway so im not super bothered about that. Its more Saints Row thats annoying me.

I know this doesn't really help but I completed bioshock 1 on Windows 8 about 2 weeks ago. It worked flawlessly. This was a stand alone client from gamefly however and was not installed through steam.

Associate
I have gaming problems - La Noire, GTA IV and Flatout, all based on games for Windows live , all fail to load or crash. I haven't been playing much lately so it isn't a big issue for me but it seems that there ought to be a fix by now and just switching back to Windows 7 isn't going to get Steam and the developers to fix the issues.

Associate
Yep, I think that's right. Some people have installed the latest version of GFWL and had the games working but I have, so far, failed on this. Frankly I am not so much interested in what's wrong as I am in when it will be fixed. Certainly it appears to be GFWL as games not using it work fine.

Soldato
Yep, I think that's right. Some people have installed the latest version of GFWL and had the games working but I have, so far, failed on this. Frankly I am not so much interested in what's wrong as I am in when it will be fixed. Certainly it appears to be GFWL as games not using it work fine.

Over at Steam forums they recommend uninstalling GFWL and getting latest version from Microsoft,thread here on the subject http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2985637

Last edited:
Soldato
its a fresh install. So far its been Bioshock (booted up before but no sound now wont boot) and Saints Row the Third (lets me play for 2-10 minutes then quits to desktop). Ive read bioshock is a pain anyway so im not super bothered about that. Its more Saints Row thats annoying me.

Saints Row the Third works perfectly fine on Windows 8 for me :confused: On both my Laptop & Desktop.

Try updating your drivers or if you have it on steam verify the files.

For GFWL http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient download that run it & then try running your games. GTA4 uses this & I had to do this before it would work.

Should have added this yesterday but make sure you log in to the program too ^^

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom