Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Soldato
They may not for their mainstream OS, I don't mind moving to a server type OS if the functionality is there without the kiddie skin.

Only time will tell where they'll go. If they have any sense they'll notice that people have different likes and allow more customisation, like the classic/advanced start menu options in previous releases.

Microsoft can't help but see people paying money on 3rd party software to fix there OS.

I'm happy with old desktop part of Win8,Win+X is fine for my needs and easy to customize so don't miss the old Win7 style Start at all,I just like to see more improvements in Metro part and gives us more customization options for tiles/columns etc ,hopefully Win9 will see some of these improvements.

It reminds me of Win95 Ui ie new and rough around the edges but over time with each new OS ie XP,Vista etc improved,Win8 is like that so I expect Metro to be improved in Win9,10 etc...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm happy with old desktop part of Win8,Win+X is fine for my needs and easy to customize so don't miss the old Win7 style Start at all,I just like to see more improvements in Metro part and gives us more customization options for tiles/columns etc ,hopefully Win9 will see some of these improvements.

You keep hoping for Win 9 and its metro improvements, do we both not find it flawed in that case?

I'm all for new technology and have no problem with a new UI provided its logical, intuitive and consistent. Win 8 tries to mash a tablet OS and a desktop OS together and I find it illogical, frustrating and inconsistent. It lacks fluidity. That is my main bug bear. Maybe we will all be happy with time.

Last edited:
Soldato
You keep hoping for Win 9 and its metro improvements, do we both not find it flawed in that case?

It's not perfect and I can see room for improvement,has been stated Win9(Windows Blue) will see improvements so I look forward to that,as always I will jump on the next OS like I always do :) .

However I still like Win8 just like Win7,Vista etc... and glad they decided to try something different,as always Microsoft will fine tune improved changes over time with their next generation of operating systems with regards to Metro.

Last edited:
Associate
True. I think also that early adopters of Metro, who go for 8 now rather than wait and wait will benefit. As Metro is likely to stay and the quicker we learn to adapt to it's intricacies the better.

Soldato
Be interesting to see if big business buys into it. I can't see it fitting in very well into an office setting.

Just rolled it out over 30 or so PC's as the office was running a mix of Vista and 7.

Its fine. More than fine actually some of the new built in remote desktop, desktop sync, file history and desktop notifications is pretty damn useful.

The OS suits those who aren't very PC savvy I'm finding.

Oh, and:

http://www.neowin.net/news/more-info-on-windows-8-use-in-the-army-and-air-force-revealed

That should have you squirming.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Only time will tell where they'll go. If they have any sense they'll notice that people have different likes and allow more customisation, like the classic/advanced start menu options in previous releases.

Microsoft can't help but see people paying money on 3rd party software to fix their OS. Maybe they'll bring out their own paid for version, that would rile everyone :D
the start screen/metro offer the same features/options as the classic start menu.

also there's nothing to be fixed. if u need to use 3rd party software it's to customize to your liking. that's the whole point of 3rd party software.

Caporegime
There are plenty of things that are poorly implemented. Trying hitting windows and searching for add/remove programs, because it separates apps, settings, files you have to jump back to the mouse, select settings and choose what your looking for. Previously you just typed add and hit enter.

Throwing tiles all over the metro screen is totally backwards, no way to sort them apart from doing it one tile at a time. No tier system, just clusters of icons without folders, even my iPhone can do this better.

The mess that is switching between metro apps and desktop apps is just frustrating.

Soldato
@Minstadave, I really suggest just sticking with win7 then and forget about upgrading to future os's.

simple has that really, mate.

oh for add/remove programs just right click the bottom left corner

personally win8 is the best os so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are plenty of things that are poorly implemented. Trying hitting windows and searching for add/remove programs, because it separates apps, settings, files you have to jump back to the mouse, select settings and choose what your looking for. Previously you just typed add and hit enter.

Throwing tiles all over the metro screen is totally backwards, no way to sort them apart from doing it one tile at a time. No tier system, just clusters of icons without folders, even my iPhone can do this better.

The mess that is switching between metro apps and desktop apps is just frustrating.

The quickest way of doing that is right clicking the bottom left corner and selecting programs and features. Do I get a twinkie?

You appear to have a weird OCD thing going off where you feel the need to cry constantly about something you don't like for days? Why don't you just not talk about it, and let the rest of us actually want to talk about it, you know, talk about it.

Caporegime
Kitch if you're replying to me I got bored of you and bunged you on my ignore list - You didn't seem to like any negative criticism or whining as you call it about a bit of software in a discussion thread about said bit of software - it was tiresome. Save yourself the effort.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right now im in a love/hate relationship with Windows 8. Had it about a week and to be fair I'm loving everything except the fact that I seem to have lots of problems running games in it. This being a gaming PC its kind of a big deal.

Name the games I may be able to help,got a huge list of games installed myself on Win8.

One tip if you got Steam games installed and you did the upgrade method ,run "verify game cache" in Steam of the game in question.

Soldato
Right now im in a love/hate relationship with Windows 8. Had it about a week and to be fair I'm loving everything except the fact that I seem to have lots of problems running games in it. This being a gaming PC its kind of a big deal.
as above. what problems u having?

i'm a gamer and having no issues running all my games on win8

Last edited:
Associate
its a fresh install. So far its been Bioshock (booted up before but no sound now wont boot) and Saints Row the Third (lets me play for 2-10 minutes then quits to desktop). Ive read bioshock is a pain anyway so im not super bothered about that. Its more Saints Row thats annoying me.

Back
Top Bottom