Legality of scanning then 3d printing.

Permabanned
After reading a comment on an article about the new SDK for the kinect, I've been thinking about this. What would the legality be of scanning an item into a cad program, and then replicating it using a 3d printer? With the copyright industry being as it is today, surely there will be lawsuits against people infringing patents etc, and how would this be enforced?

It also may have completely gone over my head, but that would be nothing new :D

Soldato
This is actually the big issue regarding 3D printing.

Whilst many are heralding 3D printing, as a reverse industrial revolution, what it's going to do to copyright law is unbelievable.

Want a new part for your car? Buy the blue print. But then, what's stopping you giving the blue-print to a friend or such like.

It's all very unknown at the moment, but is one of the massive issues.

As a side point, I'm not sure the Kinect is accurate enough to do this kind of thing. But 3D laser scanners can I believe.

kd

Soldato
if I can scan it and print it myself then tough luck. There is no way that will ever be policed.

It's the same if I hand craft a spare part myself, technology is just making it easier and more accessible.

Permabanned
OP
This is actually the big issue regarding 3D printing.

Whilst many are heralding 3D printing, as a reverse industrial revolution, what it's going to do to copyright law is unbelievable.

Want a new part for your car? Buy the blue print. But then, what's stopping you giving the blue-print to a friend or such like.

It's all very unknown at the moment, but is one of the massive issues.

As a side point, I'm not sure the Kinect is accurate enough to do this kind of thing. But 3D laser scanners can I believe.

kd

Exactly, not to mention the blueprints for many items will be up on torrent websites et al... Will be scary to think that even guns can be replicated with ease.

Soldato
I would imagine (and hope) that (at least the majority of) copyright holders would see sense and realise there's not much they can do about it. I can't see them being particularly fussed about Bob down the road making spare wing for his Focus either - it would be the people distributing the blueprints, or manufacturing parts on the cheap and selling them on they would crack down on.

Permabanned
OP
Yes it can be policed. If you try and scan a banknote most major imaging software (read photoshop) will not allow you to open it.

You would just need a reasonably fast way of comparing a new scan to a library of forbidden objects.

Wow, I didn't know that! I'm guessing there would be ways to circumvent this though.

I found a cool use of a 3d printer the other day, you can create 7 or 12" dubplates with them, but it again would be a legal grey area - I suppose if you own the track it would come under the same heading as ripping from CDs, but I don't know much about this area of Law.

Soldato
Yes it can be policed. If you try and scan a banknote most major imaging software (read photoshop) will not allow you to open it.

You would just need a reasonably fast way of comparing a new scan to a library of forbidden objects.

Do you realise what you just said?

It's like saying it's impossible to rip Blu-Rays because of the protection.

It's not possible to police and I could go scan a £50 note right now if I wanted to.

It should not be policed or regulated either, it's the sort of thing greedy corporations want to control in order to protect their bottom lines; It stifles innovation and technological advancements.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was wondering this as well.

A lot may change to selling "blueprints" as opposed to physical items as people can get round it. Perhaps instead of even blueprints selling "use amount blueprints" as in it goes direction to your machine, you cannot see it but you can print from it, of that makes sense :p

It's strange as we are building toward an inherent conflict in technological and societal progress. Technological is working toward (if not meaningfully) creating environments in which everything is either free or easily shared (the net, torrent sites, 3d printing) Whereas society is getting more capitalist and money based by the day with everything getting charged for at extortionate rates despite bring easier to produce, ship and sell then ever before.

Technology is trying to sensibly guide us in the correct and best direction (again purposefully, probably not) whereas society is intent on the older model of mine, mine, mine and keeping the majority tramped down.

Will be interesting too see how things continue to develop but short term expect high control measures to restrict access to something which should make life immeasurably better and easier for all.

Soldato
It should not be policed or regulated either, it's the sort of thing greedy corporations want to control in order to protect their bottom lines; It stifles innovation and technological advancements.

I disagree - what's the point in spending potentially millions on R&D if you're not going to get a return on it?

Caporegime
It's strange as we are building toward an inherent conflict in technological and societal progress. Technological is working toward (if not meaningfully) creating environments in which everything is either free or easily shared (the net, torrent sites, 3d printing) Whereas society is getting more capitalist and money based by the day with everything getting charged for at extortionate rates despite bring easier to produce, ship and sell then ever before.

Technology is trying to sensibly guide us in the correct and best direction (again purposefully, probably not) whereas society is intent on the older model of mine, mine, mine and keeping the majority tramped down.

Will be interesting too see how things continue to develop but short term expect high control measures to restrict access to something which should make life immeasurably better and easier for all.
Well put, just a shame most of us wont see technology changing society as a whole in our lifetimes...

Surely the biggest issue to copyright holders will be chinese companies that will just make copies to sell cheaply, but in reality thats what already happens now, just that 3D printing just makes it a fair bit easier...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
I saw an item regarding this sort of thing on the BBC News tech section. It was only a small segment though. They have an article here 'Pirate Bay' for 3D printing launched, but it doesn't say much.

It's going to be interesting times when we see something like "NHS pays X amount for item that can be printed out at home". Of course most things will require additional parts, perhaps by mail order, but I wonder what the first usable thing once 3D printing becomes a little more mainstream that comes in to conflict with its supposed production cost will be. As Haggisman says, one major bone of contention when this happens, as has been shown around here before, is that people do not understand the idea of recouping R&D costs, covering a profit to make a venture worthwhile and gaining enough to invest in future projects.

Soldato
For the greater good?

:D

In an ideal world - sure. In reality - not a chance :p

In all honesty, I don't think it's going to be a huge issue. It's not like media, where it's easy and practically free to make your own copy. With physical objects there's cost, effort and other factors involved. Take for example a car part:

*Cost of materials
*Cost of printer
*Space for printer
*Time and effort to set up printer, feed in materials, etc.
*Guarantee provided by manufacturer.

While yes - even following all that you might save money, I don't see more than a handful of people finding it worth the effort, and given the cost of the printer, you'd likely have to produce quite a few parts before actually breaking even. For most people the possibly 10-20% saving (would it really be more than that?) just wouldn't be worth the time and effort.

After all, anyone with a garden could grow their own veg at a much lower cost than supermarket, and yet the majority of people don't bother.

3D printing should not go into homes, it could and will be a risk to the public if people starting building their own fire arms. People will. Nothing will stop them.

This is already a possibility. Length of pipe of the right diameter, a couple of springs in the right places and a nail and you have a rudimentary shotgun (thanks mispent childhood!). Getting the ammo is the difficult part in this country, so this won't really have much of an effect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom