• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Frame Rating: AMD Improves CrossFire with Prototype Driver

Associate
This is excellent news for all PC gamers. I can see myself selling the Titan and going red again if they nail this by the summer.

Soldato
Associate
It is good for us consumers because it will mean more competition, and lower prices! If AMD can get as solid as SLI (neither without their little niggles mind) then that is yet another thing to compete with. I for one am glad that companies are competing in the graphics space.

Just need the same for processors now.

Associate
That's a crazy improvement right there, but then again, it is Crysis 3 and it'll never win an award for being a well optimised or indeed well made game.

What are your experiences with Crossfire in general vs SLI?

Man of Honour
Wow the difference in the video is massive, thread title is a bit misplaced tho :p looks like crossfire (7990) will still be (very) slightly behind SLI (GTX690) for overall results when all else is more or less the same and not a patch on Titan (or other ultra high end single GPUs) for raw number quantified "smoothness" (tho at a level where it would be mostly academic as its reduced to a level below the ability for 99% of the population to notice).

EDIT: I have to say well done AMD if this comes to consumers within a reasonable timeframe its unusual times when they put that much effort into something like this.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I just glanced at that and for one brief, awesome moment i thought it was signed RadeonOwners.

Now i look at the bigger picture i see years of masturbation have clearly affected my eye sight.

Soldato
That's a crazy improvement right there, but then again, it is Crysis 3 and it'll never win an award for being a well optimised or indeed well made game.

What are your experiences with Crossfire in general vs SLI?

SLI is leaps beyond Crossfire. It truly is.

Not just for the fact it's smoother, the customization within the driver and options, far better support in games.

It's just so much nicer to use all around.

That's why I find this new info fascinating, I think the tide is going to turn very soon.

Soldato
I don't think the tide will turn Arthur, but I do think things will get better for AMD in terms of crossfire performance, scaling and microstutter issues. I want them to do well as the next cards I get may end up being AMD in a few years, so it makes sense wanting both companies to have fully functioning multi gpu setups.

Soldato
SLI is leaps beyond Crossfire. It truly is.

Not just for the fact it's smoother, the customization within the driver and options, far better support in games.

It's just so much nicer to use all around.

That's why I find this new info fascinating, I think the tide is going to turn very soon.

Nvidias solution also add inputlag.
so while its smooth, you will have a drawback.
its due to again technical issues to multi gpu set ups.

Caporegime
OP
Nvidias solution also add inputlag.
so while its smooth, you will have a drawback.
its due to again technical issues to multi gpu set ups.

Very true pcper have said they're looking into ways to measure the added latency. What i will say is in twitch shooters input lag is a bad thing.

Caporegime
Very true pcper have said they're looking into ways to measure the added latency. What i will say is in twitch shooters input lag is a bad thing.

Agreed. For Nvidia to get gaming smooth, they add input lag into the frame metering technology they use. Not sure to what extent this is noticeable but for fast action shooters, it isn't ideal.

Soldato
Agreed. For Nvidia to get gaming smooth, they add input lag into the frame metering technology they use. Not sure to what extent this is noticeable but for fast action shooters, it isn't ideal.

Depends on the shooter and the player.
I play with 3 screens and that level of added inputlag with 2 screens more in eyefunity is highly noticeable for me even though I just play Bc2 mainly as Bf3 kinda is epic fail. so what happens on the screen for me isnt what actually happens in the game, I compensate for that to some extent but its how it is and my option is to use one screen but then gaming feels like a box.

Multi gpu set up and fixing the stuttering and hick ups has drawback no matter what Nvidia or amd does it still isnt optimal.
Without trying the solution with sli/one card, one screen with competitive gaming its though to say how much the nvidia solution adds to competitive gaming lag.

any serious gamer would use one card, max the fps, eliminate the fps drops, inputlag etc...as much they can. so for any serious gamer, multi gpu isnt the way to go. Then it wont matter to them ;)

Back
Top Bottom