ASUS Maximus VI Extreme Review

Associate
to be fair though - those doing WRs etc would choose the Extreme versions of any of the boards anyway ?

do they pay for them or are they sponsored ?

would the "VI Extreme" - get better results/better overclocks in a CPU and memory (which is what is being talked about) WR event than say a Gene VI - for almost half the price ?

No, not all boards are given free to extreme benchers.

I just wouldnt take the O3D review as a "thats it" approach. If i was interested in this board i would scout forums and get a general opinion from a wider audience.

That said, i appreciate the review. I wish everyone could vouch for their opinions the way the O3D reviewer did, very direct.

Associate
If I get one I won't be delidding, there is nothing in it for me. 4.7ghz is plenty fast enough for a single Titan, delidding would never be fast enough for 3 or more cards unless exotic cooling was used.

In games?? It will be more than fast enough dude.. it's on par with the sbe chips in a lot of tests. Especially games

Permabanned
I would love Gene VI board cause i love my Gene V even tho first one packed up on me ( it was first first revision tho).
But where can i get 4670k that is guaranteed to do 4.8 heh....

Anyhow that review was disappointing and i do like OC3D stuff!!!!

OcUK Staff
The Hero is a decent and solid board!!! In my eyes it does what ASUS asked of it. Its not a full ROG though as its missing some of the ROG features in the bios that other ROG boards possess for memory tweaking and LN2 clocking.

Its great for SI and Gamers though and in Full ATX which makes it attractive.

OcUK Staff
More compromised than the Gene version it would appear - despite costing more than the Gene?????????

I am commenting on the HERO board here. Which does not have all the ROG features but offers a lot at a competative price. The Extreme is a true ROG board for sure.

I read again that terrible effort of a review yesterday and the reviewer has totally missed the point with the Extreme and infact has made some dam totally false statements. I joined there forum under Lurpack!!! and made some suggestions.

When you overclock a Haswel Uncore is nearly as important as Clock Speed and he has made no attempt to overclock uncore at all. So all the benches are incorrect. Once more a board he does mention in the review does not even boot with auto rules with Uncore overclocked.

The reviewer fails to mention RAM compatability and overclockability. A user buying such a board would want the possibility of using high rated DIMMS. The M6E is great with Samsung, Hynix MFR, BFR andall teh high rated dimms. Infact it boots on air with DDR3200 no problem and at AUTO timings is stable.

It also clocks BBSE and PSC at 2600 better than the rest on LN2 and Air. Strange no mention again of one of the fundamental strengths of Haswell.

Haswell uses BLK overclocking too so different speeds and ratios can be attained. It also uses straps. Did the reviewer even try dropping the multi and typing say 134 BLK?? I can tell you for a fact there is only one board that boots immediately at these BLK settings using auto rules and again its not the ten out of ten board.

This reviewer has limited the review and its scope for some reason to cramp the M6E and pit it against what the others can do. I wonder what this reason could be??;)Why not shift the goal posts dont judge it against what you have found the rest can do? Show what the M6E is totally capable of i.e test the fundamental strengths of Haswell. IMC, UNCORE,BLK. Then bench Bang we find 15%+ stronger benches!!! and a board standing on its own for performance.

Caporegime
I read again that terrible effort of a review yesterday and the reviewer has totally missed the point with the Extreme and infact has made some dam totally false statements. I joined there forum under Lurpack!!! and made some suggestions.

You were banned under your usual name I think I remember reading?

If you really wanted to drive the point home you should have just shown them all the records you smashed last week or two.

OcUK Staff
^^ Yes stulid.

But that was unfair as I was only proving a point I made and backed it up with evidence. i.e Screen Shots.

I test all boards these days and users on here will know I am a great fan of all manufacturers boards if they are good boards. Z87 for example Giga are onto the winner in mid price with OC no doubt best board in the area and D3HP in the lower price range. Z77 Giga UP7 I was benching with for multo card always and the UP4TH offered amazing memory clocking. I used M Power by MSI too to great effect. I test all boards by all manufacturers to the limits.

My problem with this review is simple. The reviewer does not understand Haswell. No uncore, no RAM and no blk!!! ie most overclocking removed!!!

Some stuff he states is quite simply wrong.

Soldato

That's the problem with some of those reviewers these days. They review one board with a few settings changed for their overclocking tests and expect the same settings to be optimal for all their boards. Because of that, they don't delve further which is completely stupid, especially when you're dealing with an ROG Extreme board because there's so much you can play around with to get an even better OC. But reviewers being reviewers, they'll spend around 30 minutes on their sample and give up if they're not happy.

Caporegime
^^ Yes stulid.

But that was unfair as I was only proving a point I made and backed it up with evidence. i.e Screen Shots.

I test all boards these days and users on here will know I am a great fan of all manufacturers boards if they are good boards. Z87 for example Giga are onto the winner in mid price with OC no doubt best board in the area and D3HP in the lower price range. Z77 Giga UP7 I was benching with for multo card always and the UP4TH offered amazing memory clocking. I used M Power by MSI too to great effect. I test all boards by all manufacturers to the limits.

My problem with this review is simple. The reviewer does not understand Haswell. No uncore, no RAM and no blk!!! ie most overclocking removed!!!

Some stuff he states is quite simply wrong.

True, thats why I tried to add some BCLK results to the D3HP review as the previous X79-UP4 I never bothered with and one or two people moaned that I hadn't done so.

My main issue with this board is it is OTT for like 99% of the users on this forum (apart from you I don;t recall seeing anyone else so heavily into sub zero temps) and a cheaper board such as the OC board which is £180 will crush a Haswell CPU long before the board fails to deliver any more performance.

The price difference can then be spent on say a GFX upgrade or something else that will benefit users more.

Soldato
I am commenting on the HERO board here. Which does not have all the ROG features but offers a lot at a competative price. The Extreme is a true ROG board for sure.

"snip"

I realise you were talking about the hero - so was I. I was just pointing out that it seems strange that Asus decided to leave some of the important memory tweaking options out of the Hero bios, whereas the Gene board has them - yet the Gene is cheaper. To me this does not make sense as I thought the range went from Gene, Hero and M6E at the top of the pile - so would have expected the options to be available on the Hero. Hope I have made sense? Either way all three boards are good, but better value is available via the gigabyte boards it seems. I can understand the points made by Stulid too - agree with his points.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom