my NEW LG 3D tv / monitor (pics included )

Associate
I can only confirm that the Freeview Tuner is HD.
I dont wish to unscrew the my satalite cable from the SkyHD box
because i'll end up breaking it or something lol.
alls i can tell you is that there is a satalite input, i can only assume it would
be HD.
the bbci player "currently" doesnt work but hopefully an update will fix this.
BUT the tv comes with a full web browser thats rather good
and i have successfully watched content from the bbci player website.
netflix is in the listings along with a host of 3D content etc.
It's a lovely tv mate treat yourself :)

Thanks for the reply :cool:

I am 99% certain I will be going for it.

It will be used in our caravan, where we have internet access so all the web side will be useful, or a novelty at least.

Covering so many bases in this environment will be perfect, indeed even the 3D looked acceptable for the size screen, I did not think it would.

I guess even if the satellite tuner isn't HD (it probably is as it has been in use longer), its no huge thing but whether the tuner is active or not would be useful to know.

Freeview via aerial can be temperamental in the location and as I have a dish up it is obviously the reliable source.

I find LG's own site does them no favours whatsoever as already mentioned no mention of HD for freeview. As the info is poor it has left me wondering even if the "sat" tuner is active? I know seeing the port would make you think so, but in a local C*rry's (another place short on knowledge) they told me the tuner is in there, but deactivated for the UK!!

I have been hoping to see it for sale elsewhere like J*hn Le*is for the five year warranty, but so far only the mentioned outlet and a few websites (£40 ish cheaper) mentioning special order only.

Thanks ;)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply :cool:

I am 99% certain I will be going for it.

It will be used in our caravan, where we have internet access so all the web side will be useful, or a novelty at least.

Covering so many bases in this environment will be perfect, indeed even the 3D looked acceptable for the size screen, I did not think it would.

I guess even if the satellite tuner isn't HD (it probably is as it has been in use longer), its no huge thing but whether the tuner is active or not would be useful to know.

Freeview via aerial can be temperamental in the location and as I have a dish up it is obviously the reliable source.

I find LG's own site does them no favours whatsoever as already mentioned no mention of HD for freeview. As the info is poor it has left me wondering even if the "sat" tuner is active? I know seeing the port would make you think so, but in a local C*rry's (another place short on knowledge) they told me the tuner is in there, but deactivated for the UK!!

I have been hoping to see it for sale elsewhere like J*hn Le*is for the five year warranty, but so far only the mentioned outlet and a few websites (£40 ish cheaper) mentioning special order only.

Thanks ;)

No problem i understand your pain it took me 2 years to find this tv ha.
the included "magic" remote is great for surfing the net but you can add a wireless mouse and keyboard if you wish, it recognised my logitech setup first time.
also if you have any films you can pop them on a usb key / hard drive as the tv natively plays everything and i mean every thing :)
You can activate you warrenty online via the LG website and it covers you for parts an labour for 2 years ( onsite swap / repair cover ).
I think the HD channels via freeview come through stronger so you may be ok unless you struggled with HD freeview last time or was it standard freeview?
If your tv aerial is brown it may be the old type that wasnt double screened. i know my new tv aerial cable is quad shielded (black) so no interference.
you can get netflix via the smart section so there should be "something" for you to watch if you are just away for the week / weekend.
you can record the TV onto a hard drive/ usb key but it has to be 40gig in size or more. the hard drive / usb key can only be used as a recorder for the tv and will not function for normal storage on the pc. i think its to stop people recording tv and watching it elsewhere lol.
good luck let me know if you buy it :)

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Love a glossy panel. I have the Acer S275HLbmii, brilliant display.

o nice, I like them too
I do like glossy more and more

to op, looks great to me thx for the pics
I was thinking of getting a Panasonic but I think smallest they come in is 32, that LG looks better size maybe

Associate
No problem i understand your pain it took me 2 years to find this tv ha.
the included "magic" remote is great for surfing the net but you can add a wireless mouse and keyboard if you wish, it recognised my logitech setup first time.
also if you have any films you can pop them on a usb key / hard drive as the tv natively plays everything and i mean every thing :)
You can activate you warrenty online via the LG website and it covers you for parts an labour for 2 years ( onsite swap / repair cover ).
I think the HD channels via freeview come through stronger so you may be ok unless you struggled with HD freeview last time or was it standard freeview?
If your tv aerial is brown it may be the old type that wasnt double screened. i know my new tv aerial cable is quad shielded (black) so no interference.
you can get netflix via the smart section so there should be "something" for you to watch if you are just away for the week / weekend.
you can record the TV onto a hard drive/ usb key but it has to be 40gig in size or more. the hard drive / usb key can only be used as a recorder for the tv and will not function for normal storage on the pc. i think its to stop people recording tv and watching it elsewhere lol.
good luck let me know if you buy it :)

I certainly will let you know ;)

The issue for me ref: Freeview is sadly down to poor reception in the area our caravan is sited, it seems to be variable with atmospheric conditions to :(
Caravan roof aerials have improved a lot but not up to home roof aerials and the coax they would have used? well that won't be the best either!

This is why I am so keen to find out "IF" the satellite tuner works! but sadly i think you are the only person in the country that has one of these so far :eek: :D

Still cannot even find it in stock any where other than Cu*rys, and I am beginning to think that not many of these will make it into the UK :(

Thanks for your response :cool:

Associate
I've had my eyes on this since it was announced in March. Just bought one from Currys.
It's a lovely thing to behold and perfect as a bedroom TV.

sprouts: I can answer your question regarding the satellite input. As a test, I hooked up the satellite connection (shared dish of an apartment complex), and scanned for channels. It picked up 350+ (many duplicates), but the all-important HD channels of BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and C4 were there - albeit in some crazy channel ordering (fixable but time-consuming).

Soldato
You will probably find that the duplicates are the red button streams. Sometimes they are the same name, sometimes totally obscure names.

Soldato
OP
I've had my eyes on this since it was announced in March. Just bought one from Currys.

sprouts: I can answer your question regarding the satellite input. As a test, I hooked up the satellite connection (shared dish of an apartment complex), and scanned for channels. It picked up 350+ (many duplicates), but the all-important HD channels of BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and C4 were there - albeit in some crazy channel ordering (fixable but time-consuming).

thanks for checking the satalite nice to know for future reference.
It's hard to explain to people how nice this small tv is but it's simply stunning
as both a tv and computer monitor.
there has been a couple of updates for me over my network just incase you didnt know :)
my bbci app doesnt work but i can access bbci content via the built in browser, does it work for you ?

PS: badass you should get overclockers to get a few of these in they would sell ;)

Associate

thanks for checking the satalite nice to know for future reference.
It's hard to explain to people how nice this small tv is but it's simply stunning
as both a tv and computer monitor.
there has been a couple of updates for me over my network just incase you didnt know :)
my bbci app doesnt work but i can access bbci content via the built in browser, does it work for you ?

PS: badass you should get overclockers to get a few of these in they would sell ;)

Well the info on the sat tuner was great to hear, thanks for that :cool:

Also interested to know if the iPlayer is working yet for either of you?

Mind you, I might know myself tomorrow as I have one on its way :D

Will update.......

Thanks again

Associate
iPlayer app still not working. I guess we'll just have to wait for LG to update.
iPlayer via the web browser works though (if a little clunkier)

Associate
Hi Sprouts :)
how did you get on, what are your first impressions ?

Early days as I had little time last evening.

So far:

Tuned in Sat channels and very happy with the overall picture quality.

Sound, it is very acceptable when you consider there has to be a pay off when the whole housing is so slim and sleek.

No iPlayer as already mentioned, unforgivable of LG in these times to release a product that they did not have that functional on! but it is not an issue for me ;)

Also as far as other apps go it is never clear what will and what won't work.

My only issue thus far is in a darker room when the screen goes grey/balck when changing menus/functions I have a lot of light bleed, mainly on the left of the screen :( have you looked for this? if so how is yours?

Will be using over the weekend and will comment further later.

Everyone in the house thinks the picture is great which is a bonus :)

Soldato
OP
Early days as I had little time last evening.

So far:

Tuned in Sat channels and very happy with the overall picture quality.

Sound, it is very acceptable when you consider there has to be a pay off when the whole housing is so slim and sleek.

No iPlayer as already mentioned, unforgivable of LG in these times to release a product that they did not have that functional on! but it is not an issue for me ;)

Also as far as other apps go it is never clear what will and what won't work.

My only issue thus far is in a darker room when the screen goes grey/balck when changing menus/functions I have a lot of light bleed, mainly on the left of the screen :( have you looked for this? if so how is yours?

Will be using over the weekend and will comment further later.

Everyone in the house thinks the picture is great which is a bonus :)

Hi sprouts sorry to hear about the light bleed.
makes sure in the picture settings " motion eye care " is off as this can alter
certain parts of the screen to go bright and dark, god knows why they do this.
after hours and hours of testing i went for the " vibrant " picture setting but turned the colour down to 65 and popped brightness to 45 and sharpness to 30.
hopefuly its the " motion eye care " thats made the left hand side bleed.
if not i spose you could complain to curry's and tell them you seen a friends set and it doesnt have this issue.

Associate
OK...

Energy saving: Medium

PICTURE MODE:
Backlight: 72
Contrast: 72
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 20
Colour: 55
Tint: 0
Colour Temp: 0

ADVANCED CONTROL:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Colour: Off
Super Resolution: Low
Gamma: Low

PICTURE OPTION:
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG Noise Reduction: Low
Real Cinema: Off
Motion Eye Care: Off

I find, for me, these settings work best. As they're input specific you have to set them for each input you use.
Hope that's of some use... your mileage may vary :D

Soldato
OP
OK...

Energy saving: Medium

PICTURE MODE:
Backlight: 72
Contrast: 72
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 20
Colour: 55
Tint: 0
Colour Temp: 0

ADVANCED CONTROL:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Colour: Off
Super Resolution: Low
Gamma: Low

PICTURE OPTION:
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG Noise Reduction: Low
Real Cinema: Off
Motion Eye Care: Off

I find, for me, these settings work best. As they're input specific you have to set them for each input you use.
Hope that's of some use... your mileage may vary :D

cheers for the reply lol ;)

Associate
Looks brilliant, so sharp and clear!

Can't you run iPlayer through the Xbox? That's what i do on my "conventional" flatscreen...

Back
Top Bottom