Finding a decent IFA

Associate
Hey,

I'm just about to change jobs, which is going to have a significant salary increase and push my income tax to a point I think I should be making sure I'm making sure I'm doing everything I can to protect my earnings. Where do people find decent IFA's - the last one I had issued some very poor advice, and I actually reported him to the FSA at the time.

Thanks

Ross

Permabanned
Would you like a few recommendations? I work intimately with a lot of IFA businesses in the South East, is there any specific areas of advice you're looking for? Tax planning, investments, protection, etc?

Associate
OP
Theophany, that'd be great. Tax Planning would be good - I want to minimise my burden within the limits of the law and make sure I'm utilising salary sacrifice where appropriate etc.

Permabanned
True, but what's a fair and moral amount of tax to pay ;).

Fair and moral are subjective. What you can do within the letter of the law is a different matter entirely. Is it fair and moral I pay 40% before I've even spent a penny despite the fact I take three fifths of **** all from the state? Depends on which forum member you speak to. ;)

Just as a heads up Ross, most of the guys I deal with will be looking to charge circa 1% per annum for work done. I'll compile a list of people I think are worth speaking with and trust you it, if you're ok with that.

Soldato
It would surprise you the number of 'independent financial advisor's' facing eviction whom I deal with. They have a tendency to bury their head in the sand when things go wrong. I'm sure there are decent ones out there mind.. just be careful.

Soldato
Fair and moral are subjective. What you can do within the letter of the law is a different matter entirely. Is it fair and moral I pay 40% before I've even spent a penny despite the fact I take three fifths of **** all from the state? Depends on which forum member you speak to. ;)

Just as a heads up Ross, most of the guys I deal with will be looking to charge circa 1% per annum for work done. I'll compile a list of people I think are worth speaking with and trust you it, if you're ok with that.

I'd be very surprised to see an IFA take 1% for income tax planning or income protection work. More likely to be a fixed amount / charge per hour.

Permabanned
I'd be very surprised to see an IFA take 1% for income tax planning or income protection work. More likely to be a fixed amount / charge per hour.

Any kind of holistic tax planning will likely involve an investment element, which is where the 1% comes into play. It's all about providing an ongoing, chargeable service. Transactional IFA businesses are dead, they just don't know it yet. :p

Back
Top Bottom