Royal Mail to be floated on stock exchange

Soldato
because the lesser well paid folk aren't hard working? and pay no taxes? (waits for but they take more than they give)

I don't think that's the point he's making, I can see his point it's a limit that was pulled out of the air, why £10K and not 5 ?

They could have distributed more of the shares away from the hedge/pension groups and kept them with private investors instead.

Soldato
I think the funny thing about all of this, it will drag people into shares and investment and enticing amateurs into investing in other shares and in the long run, probably lose more money overall.

Associate
£250 profit in a day!! Gutted I missed out on this.

I need to get more knowledgeable on shares...

Nothing compared to what I could have made it I got my full worths. :mad:

I don't think that's the point he's making, I can see his point it's a limit that was pulled out of the air, why £10K and not 5 ?

They could have distributed more of the shares away from the hedge/pension groups and kept them with private investors instead.

No 10K what you could apply through the official website, any more need a broker. So cutting out the serious traders that would have used a broker to invest more.

Soldato
To be honest i have a feeling they'll crash come Tuesday when everyone is trying to cash out for a quick buck!
It's common knowledge that most amateur dabblers in the stock market lose money. I watched a very interesting CNBC interview with one of the big online retail providers a while back. Watching him wriggle out of questioning on the profitability of the average trader was a thing of beauty! :)

Of course investors are like drivers... we're all better than everyone else on the road! But the real numbers don't lie, so yes, despite the favourable premium so far, it wouldn't surprise me if the public get milked over the first few days of full trading. But fortunately there's a decent enough buffer, so far, that most people will be happy with their small windfall.

Those of us searching for long term yield and potential retirement will have to decide whether we top up on any dips.

Then again, institutional demand was extremely high for these shares -- hence this rise in prices so far -- and most of them didn't get an allocation, leading to a lot of muttering behind the scenes. So it's possible there may be a period or irrational demand if the little folk hang on to their shares.

It's interesting to watch though.

Edit: Oh, and none of us little folk have made any money whatsoever so far. Profit is only profit when you've banked it, and nobody outside the big institutions can bank anything yet.

Soldato
If only investors knew RM profits were so high because of posties starting early for free (upto 90mins is commonplace apparently to avoid agro from managers on what are often rounds that are way too big for modern internet shopping habits); not taking their paid breaks; not using modern trolley equipment properly in accordance with security and H&S protocols to deliver mail/parcels; leaving parcels insecure in the likes of recipient porches/bins etc...

Soldato
If only investors knew RM profits were so high because of posties starting early for free (upto 90mins is commonplace apparently to avoid agro from managers on what are often rounds that are way too big for modern internet shopping habits); not taking their paid breaks; not using modern trolley equipment properly in accordance with security and H&S protocols to deliver mail/parcels; leaving parcels insecure in the likes of recipient porches/bins etc...

But thats true of most firms. I'll happily get in early/leave late/work through lunch, but it doesnt mean i get paid any extra for it.

Caporegime
In UAE they have bikes that delivery KFC and mcdonalds and subway to your house because you can fill a tank for £12.

In the UAE, being gay is punishable by death and slave labor is regularly used, so it's perhaps not a surprise that things are cheap in a country where people are treated as subhuman.

I think the funny thing about all of this, it will drag people into shares and investment and enticing amateurs into investing in other shares and in the long run, probably lose more money overall.

Certainly, it's shocking the amount of casual people who know nothing about shares buying £1k's worth of very high risk share holdings!

Last edited:
Associate

That's total ******** m8, I don't know a single postie that would start 15 minutes early without pay nevermind 90, why would they? Not using trolleys properly and leaving parcels would be more commonplace though.

Caporegime

I always find it odd when my postman comes with a package that would never fit through my letterbox ..

one time he came with a shoebox sized 2kg parcel ffs he doesn't have a van or a bike either and does it totally on foot

actually 2kg is probably an understatement as it was a huge RC heli transmitter and receiver I ordered from taiwan shipped via airmail from singapore

Associate
Gives us a chance to buy more then :D

haha, exactly. I reckon all those posties who made a few quid will be looking to cash in.

Btw, only 30% of the shares were earmarked for institutional investors and all those had to bid at the full price of 3.30.

The Gov has been seriously short changed with RM. I just dont understand how a company with 150,000 employees, acres of real estate including Mount Pleasant in the City (which alone could be worth £1bn) can be valued at £3.3bn?! The state even kept hold of the pension liabilities so it was only selling the money making bit. No wonder they were over subscribed.

Last edited:
Soldato
But thats true of most firms.
Sad, but true. Rule books provide a framework, but I think all companies rely on a relatively small proportion of their workforce going above and beyond the call of duty in order to get the job done. That's certainly been my experience (as one of those mugs!) over 20+ years. The owners and managers change, but the hard work still relies on the same old faces.

I wasn't in favour of this privatisation, and I worry that more eggs than necessary will get broken in the making of this omelette, but harsh reality has taught me -- rather late in life -- not to look a gift horse in the mouth, and institutional demand was so high it made no sense to sit back on my ideological high horse.

Of course if all the small investors kept their shares and formed a lobbying group, they might be able to influence the way the RM develops. But that's not going to happen. And even if it did, nobody would ever agree and the big institutions would get their way anyway.

Back
Top Bottom