Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Can't spread bet it as don't have enough to cover the margin, probably just as well :p. Still, tried to place a trade @ 4849 and it's at 4991 with a 9.0 spread :eek:.

Edit: And down to 4668. It's like RMG on crack, as expected I guess.

Is there any reason why US shares seem to have a much higher price than UK shares? For example RMG floating at 330p vs Twitter at 4500c?

Last edited:
Soldato
US shares are in dollars and its viewed badly if your price is low. Yes it sounds stupid and it is :D

Hence - a penny stock is a very iffy company. DOW index is actually ordered by price not size of the company apparently but in theory they could be similar I guess

Uk shares trade in pennies and we are not as silly, price doesnt mean anything but still a lot of companies prefer to be pounds ala RBS 30p to 300p and it did rise strongly after that!
and CNR of course

Twitter at that price is stupid, ipo funds just doubled their money.

Stuff on lloyds value - http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investin...lling-me-to-buy-lloyds-banking-group-plc.aspx

I'd rather stick to unpopular any day. I should not have sold SEA so soon, up again today - in theory 30 was a ceiling but its high vol. A lesson for next time

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
What? That's a ridiculous comparison and nothing to do with being US/UK. Completely different sectors/fundamentals.

Well it's not, as silversurfer has pointed out. Most US shares I've seen are way into the $10+, whereas there's very few UK shares at that price range and it's not related to sector or market value at all.

Granted RMG and TWTR are completely different companies but just the two most recent IPOs. Lloyds are 77p, RBS 320p, Barclays 250p etc and Bank of America are 1390c, Amex 8170c, Bank United 3070c etc.

Just wondered, don't get angry!

Caporegime
Would it be something like because a dollar is valued less than pound as well as a different division of worth? Ie each share is worth more of the company in USA?

Soldato
Well it's not, as silversurfer has pointed out. Most US shares I've seen are way into the $10+, whereas there's very few UK shares at that price range and it's not related to sector or market value at all.

Granted RMG and TWTR are completely different companies but just the two most recent IPOs. Lloyds are 77p, RBS 320p, Barclays 250p etc and Bank of America are 1390c, Amex 8170c, Bank United 3070c etc.

Just wondered, don't get angry!

Not angry but I certainly face palmed. You can't compare two different sectors and infer the price difference is something to do with US/UK.

You need to be looking at more than the share price, market cap, P/E, shares in circulation.

You missed HSBC: £6.93/$11.11 and have almost twice as many shares in circulation to Bank of America.

And there are plenty of US Penny stocks: OCZ

Soldato
If I make a mistake it will cost me. OCZ is considered risky I guess. Im interested why they could see growth - whoever knows why.
Its not my label, Im saying they judge by price far more stateside.

Would it be something like because a dollar is valued less than pound as well as a different division of worth? Ie each share is worth more of the company in USA?

Dollars are 1.6x sterling so it would vary with that floating exchange rate, I agree. So it will be naturally higher and every time our currency gets weaker the price of BP in London goes higher and the value stays the same. Focus on this and I think it'll totally improve accuracy of trading.

UK is 60m in a world of 7000m so our prices come from outside UK really. Like it or not, buying shares is related to currency trading
4 November 2013

Conversion Rate for Extraordinary Dividend

Further to the announcement about the extraordinary dividend which was released on 24 October 2013, the directors of Fresnillo plc ("the Company") have determined that the exchange rate to be applied to the extraordinary dividend is 1.5922 US$/GB£. The sterling equivalent of the extraordinary dividend of 22.39 US cents per share will be 14.0623 pence per share.

The interim dividend will be paid on 11 November 2013 to shareholders on the register on 1 November 2013.

- End-
Theres a law of arbitrage that the value of both must be the same , they'll let you buy BP at 9pm in New York and sell it at 8am in London (in theory & its not 1:1) so its two prices for the same stock.

The rest of it is appearances imo, we might argue pennies are less accurate then dollars but we also trade in fractions of penny so its aesthetics
They constantly ramp lloyds and tesco and other shares they clearly have vested interests in.
I think they are biased to very safe shares and also brand names (which can be unsafe, hmv) It sells their articles to talk what people think they know already.

The guessometer obv for TWTR says its bullish over 46 . damned if I will buy with no unique growth but shares dont have to make sense :o

Completely different sectors/fundamentals.
Both communications. People used to write letters, now they can send a link via twitter to hundreds of people. They do kind of mass mailing advertising over twitter. That might even be there main claim to profit, to nick business from RMG junk mail.
I will compare them, I prefer RMG as its cheaper relative to its earnings and ability to pay a dividend. People who like Twitter might be focusing on efficiency of low costs to operate and especially to expand without great infrastructure required unlike RMG.
Separately, as a share I dont like the hype and customers of TWTR shares -I prefer those who buy RMG I think they are long term holders like Kuwaiti wealth fund

Last edited:
Caporegime
this thread is really useful, learning a lot

im personally holding onto my RMG shares at least for a while,

my usual broker isnt doing anything with infinis, i would have to sign up with HL i think to get in, it may be too late, is, there any issue with having lots of broker accounts?

Associate
As soon as the lockout expires for current holders from the IPO (Twitter) hoping for a large dip like the FB dip, not sure how long the lockout is though at the moment, heard 180 days.

Soldato
Hey @****,

Want to find out the best ways to use Twitter for your business? Good news - the Twitter for business handle @TwitterUKI_SME is now live. Just follow us! You'll get great tips on the best ways to grow your presence online, tweeting best practices and exclusive Twitter news delivered straight to your timeline.

Interesting that that's emailed out the day after floating.

Associate
keep an eye on ASOS. (LON:ASC). xmas should be decent this year. make sure you sell just before the quarterly results come out in the new year. [typical sell on rumors, buy on news] :)

i bought 400 quid worth when they announced results for last quarter (just over 5,000). i will be aiming to hit 6,000 (was rather close few days ago).

Back
Top Bottom