• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 290X Kuhler mod: Taming Hawaii 'Pic heavy'.

Associate
You can use gpu-z on the tab that shows the gpu temp just scroll down to the bottom they are the last few items I think called vrm1 and vrm2 or something like that cheers my good man :)

Soldato
OP
When I scroll down this is what I get?

drq.png

Associate
I was under the impression that the latest version could read vrm temps on 290/x cards.

Yeah it can I can see them on mind but I don think it's on by default. Enable htm bad boys :)

Nice gpu score on 3d mark 11 dude I can't seem to get to > 1170 core sad times what settings you using and thanks again for the info what a legend :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah it can I can see them on mind but I don think it's on by default. Enable htm bad boys :)

Nice gpu score on 3d mark 11 dude I can't seem to get to > 1170 core sad times what settings you using and thanks again for the info what a legend :)

Yeah I can't see how to enable vrm temp on GPUZ?

Ty, that 3DMark11 run was at 1200mhz core and something ridiculous on the memory + 4770K @ 4.6Ghz :p

Soldato
GPU-Z is supposed to show 290X VRMs, maybe wipe any reg entries etc and reinstall (or delete exe and download again)?

How come there's no scrollbar on your screenshot? Do you see one?

Soldato
OP
GPU-Z is supposed to show 290X VRMs, maybe wipe any reg entries etc and reinstall (or delete exe and download again)?

How come there's no scrollbar on your screenshot? Do you see one?

Yeah there is a scrollbar, it doesn't show when you take the screenshot.

I've settled on the Powercolor OC bios for now. At stock settings this thing is a monster !

m2.png

53c in Furmark test. Very happy with this card, it seems to love water.

9bjwRqG.png

Soldato
Anyone know the dimensions of an R9? :) theres a place near where i work that sells aluminium in blocks, and a guy i know has a factory that manufactures Pulleys, and his son makes custom Subaru parts. Between them im betting i can get them to mill me a finned aluminium heatsink to custom fit a 290 with space in the middle to mount my Kuhler 920 Pump, screw points to mount 2 120mm fans to the heatsink. With enough thermal paste i reckon that would do a decent job of keeping the VRM temps down and the gpu cool

Soldato
OP
^^ Lol.

The only game I've played so far is BF4, have to say it feels way more fluid and fps are a fair bit higher than GTX 780. I guess Mantle will be lost on this GPU, if already at 60fps?

It's not all good news however as about after 10mins of play I was treated to a nice black screen of death :p. Not uncommon on 290's from what I've read. Hopefully AMD fix that issue soon.

Gonna have to try a bit of 1440P Crysis, and Far Cry 3 when I get a chance..

Back
Top Bottom