Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Caporegime
Thinking of buying another one of these and dismantling my main server...So having one as Main media server and the other as a backup server....How many drives have people got into these?

I take it I unplug the system drive and use that for storage? So that's possibly 4 x 4 TB 16Tb pure storage

What do I connect the system drive to?

Can I install windows on a USB stick that's connected to the mobo USB header?

Cheers

Associate
Erm, mine boots Windows 2008 R2 off a USB all the time....

Formatting USB sticks for Windows boot can sometimes be an issue - it took me a long time to find a reliable USB drive formatting tool that worked - it's at home so I'll post a link later

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fixed... I've booted several proper OS off of the internal USB stick, so it seems to only be Windows that has a problem (for a change ;))

Erm, mine boots Windows 2008 R2 off a USB all the time....

Formatting USB sticks for Windows boot can sometimes be an issue - it took me a long time to find a reliable USB formatting tool that worked - it's at home so I'll post a link later

fair do's...I went old school and booted from a USB dvd rom:p

Associate
I have just done a install of Windows server 2012 R2 without issues

I first updated the bios using the modified version from the German site, then did a clean install from a DVD

The server has just finished the install and has run through through first config of the server it is currently installing updates

Will attempt to integrate it into my home network tomorrow

PG

Caporegime
I just moved the 250gb system drive to the dvd drive bay. It had windows installed from non hot plug one in AHCI mode

I guess its now running in IDE mode?

I presumed it wouldn't boot....?

Associate
Is it worth taking the 3 Year next day support out on this? Works out to be £50 after the cashback

Edit: Well I bought it today as I got a nice little bonus. For those who have ordered it from a retailer whos name starts with e, what invoice did you supply for the cashback?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is it worth taking the 3 Year next day support out on this? Works out to be £50 after the cashback

Edit: Well I bought it today as I got a nice little bonus. For those who have ordered it from a retailer whos name starts with e, what invoice did you supply for the cashback?

Not really.

You will be falshing the bios to unlock features so not worth it IMO.

Associate
Hi guys,

I've got a 4 in 1 5.25 drive caddy in the optical drive bay, can anyone recommend a cheap 4 port sata card that I can plug them in to. Doesn't necessarily have to be able to do raid?

Thanks
B

Soldato
Don't most have their pc running a lot of the time anyway? Unless you have a itx pc, i'd wager that a microserver AND a tower take up more room! Surely most here have large cases?

Cheap? Buying an EXTRA device surely can't bring a benefit of "cheap".

Back
Top Bottom