Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Does anyone here run any form of TV/PVR function off their microserver?

Looks like mediabrowser 3 (which I run off mine) is about to offer live TV functionality and I wondered if these little boxes were up to the job?

I use XBMC with Next PVR coupled with a DVB-T2/DVB-S2 card,im just using it for freeview HD and it works well. I then have various Raspberry pis around the house running Rasbmc that can also pickup the channels from the server.

Associate
quick question

can you run 4 drives, 1 SSD and optical drive at once or is it just 4 drives and either SSD or optical?

You can. There are many posts of people with this and more. Space wise you can put the SSD in the ODD space with a slim line ODD, or you can use a full size ODD and put the SSD under it, behind the HP light.

As long as you see a hacked BIOS, you can connect the SSD to the Esata and the ODD to the supplied ODD connection.

I havent done this. I prefer to just use an external ODD when I need it, which isnt often.

Caporegime
What memory have people been buying for it...I want to upgrade to 4GB ram for both my servers? I'm going to migrate one 2GB stick to one making dual channel 4gb and the other I want one bank of 4GB to maybe upgrade to 8gb in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can. There are many posts of people with this and more. Space wise you can put the SSD in the ODD space with a slim line ODD, or you can use a full size ODD and put the SSD under it, behind the HP light.

As long as you see a hacked BIOS, you can connect the SSD to the Esata and the ODD to the supplied ODD connection.

I havent done this. I prefer to just use an external ODD when I need it, which isnt often.

exactly the way i wanted to do things, due to my dvd seemingly refusing to play ball, but finding slim dvd converters are hard to find out here... opted for a usb dvd instead only to find out that i threw away the dvd blanking cover, so had to leave the dvd in not to have a huge hole....

Anyone willing to send me their dvd balnking cover (n40l)?

Caporegime
exactly the way i wanted to do things, due to my dvd seemingly refusing to play ball, but finding slim dvd converters are hard to find out here... opted for a usb dvd instead only to find out that i threw away the dvd blanking cover, so had to leave the dvd in not to have a huge hole....

Anyone willing to send me their dvd balnking cover (n40l)?

Get a single hard drive hot swap caddy and whack another drive in there.

Thats what I did.

Soldato
how did you lot got over 160gb limit on whs2011?

i currently have it installed on 500gb hdd to try but have 128gb ssd to do proper install in few days.

found this guide

http://www.connecteddigitalworld.co...n-ssd-or-sata-hard-drives-smaller-than-160gb/

is there any newer/ better guide?

what would happen if i clone the install from 500gb to 128gb?

is the min size check present only at initial installation or at every boot?

Associate
I installed whs2011 onto the HDD it came with (edit - with the microserver, not with whs2011 :D), had a good year out of that and then cloned it to a 64GB M4 SSD, never had any issues with it. So it'll be a pre-install check. Not really sure why it needs to be an issue, anyone using it for doing backups should surely use multiple HDDs anyway, so ive no idea what the reasoning behind a 160gb limit would have been.

Back
Top Bottom