Washington and Colorado just legalised cannabis

Soldato
It really hasn't...

Figures provided by the WHO for example contradict that statement.

It really has. 6 years ago when she started in the job she would get the odd one or two a week referred with cannabis induced psychosis. Now, it's the most common case she deals with. And most of the cases are under 18s.

The strength of cannabis has gone through the roof and habitual users are paying the price mentally.

Soldato
most weed smokers vaporise these days to cut out the nicotine or use a bong/pipe

I always wondered why the vape thread was so popular ;)

I think there is a fair amount of uninformed histrionics in this thread. Unless one has had direct experience of using this (or works primarily in a health role solely focused on this drug) then dont really think their opinion is relevant.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

Look at how addictive and damaging tobacco and alcohol are and the crazy thing is they are both completely legal in the Uk and yet weed is nowhere near as damaging it should be the other way around because this makes no logical sense.

Soldato
Cannabis definitely affected me mentally when I smoked for a few months just twice a week. Can't say what I was smoking was to the same standard as what can be purchased legally though so in theory it could have been anything.

A great move IMO to legalize it. Let people do what they want to do and make their own mistakes. Hell, there are plently of people that drink and smoke a fair amount but there are also those who abuse one, the other or both and are either alcoholics or have terrible lung cancer. A friend of my aunt and uncle has just died of lung cancer at 65. He smoked all the time (cigs & cigars) and drank a bottle of whisky pretty much every night.

Personally I think MDMA should be regulated and legalized eventually. However it would have to be very well controlled as is powerful drug if not treated with respect - The same goes for Cannabis. If you bong €20 worth in Amsterdam when you are 18, you are going to have a bad time!

Soldato
It really has. 6 years ago when she started in the job she would get the odd one or two a week referred with cannabis induced psychosis. Now, it's the most common case she deals with. And most of the cases are under 18s.

The strength of cannabis has gone through the roof and habitual users are paying the price mentally.

Source? The internet will not accept your wife as a source, sorry.

Soldato
My wife works closely with agencies that support mental health. The rise of people with mental health issues, young men in particular, in the last few years has been meteoric. They can accurately pinpoint it to one thing: the introduction of readily available strong cannabis to the UK.

The psychosis that the new stuff can induce if you are susceptible to it can be very damaging to people. Some of the stories she has told me are really sad; young lads who have basically become recluses through paranoia or anxiety or even attempting to take their lives.

Criminals have been making ever stronger strains of skunk that have less of the chemicals that seem to help prevent psychological issues. By putting cannabis use into a legal framework, authorities could ensure safe limits, much as they do with alcohol and tobacco.

I'll say it again, current methods don't work. You say it yourself, strong cannabis is readily available in the UK and is used in high numbers, even though it's already illegal. While drug control and distribution is in criminal hands, there is no control over the safety of what people use.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife works closely with agencies that support mental health. The rise of people with mental health issues, young men in particular, in the last few years has been meteoric. They can accurately pinpoint it to one thing: the introduction of readily available strong cannabis to the UK.

The psychosis that the new stuff can induce if you are susceptible to it can be very damaging to people. Some of the stories she has told me are really sad; young lads who have basically become recluses through paranoia or anxiety or even attempting to take their lives.

Many other things can trigger mental health issues such as work related stress or life events. But making cannabis legal and for sale is giving people a loaded gun I feel. And for that reason, I am out.

You've basically just made an argument for pro legalisation. You've admitted that having it illegal has given rise to large scale issues. The problem with buying it off the street is you have no idea what it has been sprayed or mixed with or what strength it is.

If it were legal people could use plain old marijuana that is known to not be super strength or sprayed with another sort of drug to boos the effects.

Soldato
Just a wait a while for all the drug lovers to appear and tell us how marvellous it is and streets of stoned people will be good for everybody.

As opposed to alcohol, or caffeine, or prescription drugs, or tobacco - because they're all wonderful, harmless things that cause no problems in society.

It is a horrible thought, having all these people stoned, hungry, maybe a little sleepy walking around - as opposed to the delightful drunks, for example, lovingly beating their families, raping and causing destruction in the streets.

Associate
You've basically just made an argument for pro legalisation. You've admitted that having it illegal has given rise to large scale issues. The problem with buying it off the street is you have no idea what it has been sprayed or mixed with or what strength it is.

If it were legal people could use plain old marijuana that is known to not be super strength or sprayed with another sort of drug to boos the effects.

Not to mention the fact that were it legal and regulated in the same way as alcohol, under 18s would likely find it much more difficult to get hold of as criminals don't really care who they're selling it to.

Permabanned
The Dutch have no problems with explosions in physchosis so why would his wife be dealing with a huge increase? And you know what is more retarded is that this introduction of Super Skunk happened a long time ago. Skunk is from the 1980's as as most of the genetics of cannabis. The only real changes are lower CBD for more THC. This is why a lot of Medicinal strains used for mental issues like stress use high CBD to THC ratio strains.

Not to mention the fact that were it legal and regulated in the same way as alcohol, under 18s would likely find it much more difficult to get hold of as criminals don't really care who they're selling it to.

It is the opposite everyone would have access to it sadly so it would be more available and better quality. Colorado schools are having a big increase in kids caught with weed at school now. But then again this is probably due to the allure of it being illegal for so long. The Dutch have no such problems and actually have some of the lowest cannabis figures for kids i think. TLDR prohibition is to blame.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, I don't really care either way what happens regarding legalisation in the uk. People will get hold of whatever they want somehow. But I know what my other half has been saying about more and more people getting cannabis psychosis. So, it didn't take me long to find this study:

http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2013/research/cannabis-psychosis/

There has been an increase in cannabis psychosis hospital admissions since 1999 which confirms what my wife has been saying. Granted, there was a dip when it was downgraded to class c but my point is still valid. More people have been getting cannabis psychosis since 1999 which pretty much coincides with increased availability of skunk in the uk.

Making it even more freely available would surely increase the amount of people as it widens the chances. I still think legalisation is a bad idea for that reason.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
Criminals have been making ever stronger strains of skunk that have less of the chemicals that seem to help prevent psychological issues. By putting cannabis use into a legal framework, authorities could ensure safe limits, much as they do with alcohol and tobacco.

I'll say it again, current methods don't work. You say it yourself, strong cannabis is readily available in the UK and is used in high numbers, even though it's already illegal. While drug control and distribution is in criminal hands, there is no control over the safety of what people use.

WTF are you talking about? it's not the criminals who breed them....

companies around the world breed strains legally and sell the seeds which are legal to buy even in the UK.
Most of the strongest strains are the ones from the medical marijuana companies in America that breed medical strains.

The stuff you generally get on the street in the UK is crap and not that strong compared to the strains sold legally in america

The criminal gangs growing in the UK won't be growing the good stuff they will be growing the commercial strains with high yield and that is mostly what you will find on the streets.

all this super high THC cannabis skunk crap is rubbish made up by the media, back in the 60's and 70's a lot of hash and weed like thai weed was dipped in an opium wash

Last edited:
Soldato
Where did I imply that?

Did you read any of the research I linked to?

No of course you didn't.

You linked to a report on suicides :confused: Mental health issues, as I am sure you are aware, go far broader than that.

I looked at the graph which showed young males are significantly more likely to kill themselves than young females, which confirms everything I have been saying regarding young males and increased referrals for mental health issues though.

Soldato
I am told that the main reason that people roll spliffs (with tobacco) rather than joints (just weed) is that the price and availability compared to places like the us and neatherlands. Roll a couple of joints for 20 bag or 8 spliffs.

Back
Top Bottom