Windows 9 set for release next year

Soldato
Does not matter what they do with Win9,10,11,you'll still getting some people saying I was forced to use Win9,10,11 or don't like this or that etc...

Somethings never change with some people,all I know is I'll be happy using Win9,10 regardless since I only have one important expectation with any OS and that is stability,I don't give a damn about UI or start button changes etc,unimportant things like that since I can still use any OS quickly and efficiently.

Anyway book your front seat now for the anti-Win9 thread lol since should be interesting what they will moan about next :) ,at least they can't blame Win8 next time around :) .

Side note: I do hope Microsoft continue cheap offers like they did for Win8 when it was released for Win9,I'll be at the front of the queue for a 25 quid offer .

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows releases are actually getting back to their more regular release schedule. The gap between XP and Vista is the unusual one...

1993 - Windows 3.11
1995 - Windows 95 (2 year gap)
1996 - Windows NT 4.0 (1 year gap)
1998 - Windows 98 (2 year gap)
2000 - Windows 2000 and ME (2 year gap)
2001 - Windows XP (1 year gap)
2007 - Windows Vista (6 year gap!)
2009 - Windows 7 (2 year gap)
2012 - Windows 8 (3 year gap)
2015? - Windows 9 (3 year gap)

Good point... *but* - you're forgetting that these were 2 separate product lines.

95, 98 and ME were "consumer" OS's with a totally different infrastructure under the hood to NT/2000.

XP was where the 2 lines finally merged, and it did take a couple of service packs before the thing was actually at a working, stable level.

I honestly think that MS have shot themselves in the foot badly with 8 and 8.1. Their biggest customer base is the business community, many of whom are still on XP. A large number of IT people would have liked to skip the already ageing Win7 (in support lifecycle terms) and upgrade straight to 8 or 8.1, were it not for the ugly, misguided mess they've made of basic aspects of the OS.

If Microsoft can ever, EVER explain to me why they made the conscious decision to *REMOVE* the wireless network manager ability from the GUI in Win8, then maybe, just maybe, I'd consider it one day.

Until then, it's just "Win 8? LOL" from me.

This is the crux of a lot of the problem; there was very, very little wrong with vista. It had driver problems at the start and the file copy bug, but virtually none of the issues were with the operating system itself. Blame terrible driver support and badly coded applications (for the mass of UAC prompts), not Vista.

Actually although you are mostly right, Vista was horribly slow on slower hardware, this gave it a bad name, but Windows 7 is much quicker on the same hardware (not far off XP on that hardware in speed) meaning that it had improved optimization under the hood.

The UAC prompts were also Vista's fault. Don't try blaming applications. Just trying to change a setting or two in Vista with UAC on just gives you 2 or 3 prompts asking if you are sure you want to alter a system setting, 7 (and 8 for that matter) asks you once...

Soldato
7 (and 8 for that matter) asks you once...

I just downloaded and ran an exe [reputable source etc] got prompted in order:
internet explorer download bar: said run
'windows has stopped this program from running to keep you safe': after hitting 'more info' got the option to run anyway
antivirus message: let it run
uac: do you want this program to make changes to your computer?: yes
antivirus again

then finally after all that the thing actually ran, this is with 8.1 and obviously the antivirus had nothing to do with windows, but it was still 3 separate cases of me having to tell it to run for one application

edit: by no means attempting to be confrontational, and you're right in that 7 has only ever asked once for any given application, can't say I've messed about with 8/8.1 much but I thought i'd put it out there anyway

Last edited:
I just downloaded and ran an exe [reputable source etc] got prompted in order:
internet explorer download bar: said run
'windows has stopped this program from running to keep you safe': after hitting 'more info' got the option to run anyway
antivirus message: let it run
uac: do you want this program to make changes to your computer?: yes
antivirus again

Yes, but UAC is still only asking you once. If it had been Vista UAC would have asked you another 2 times as well... ;)

Associate
Not really any reason to upgrade. There are small tweaks (and you can always get the Start Menu back with 3rd party tools), but not worth the £90 or so license cost.

Yeah I have W8 on my laptop which I like strictly only use at night-time when I'm in bed and have installed a 3rd party app to get the start button back, but I always find myself sliding onto the Windows 'hub' thingy without even knowing what I'm pressing.

Soldato
Very happy with W7 (best windows OS ever). I didn't fall into the W8 trap to begin with and i'm not falling into now or next year either.

Over the years I went from 7 to W8, thought it was a bit weird and pants but ok ish, then got 8,1 and Classic Start and thought it was better, quicker boot, secure etc. Annoying that Metro has to be their at all.. Finally tried SteamOS / Linux (Ok for web browsing, crap for everything else), quickly realized I had it best to start with W7 lol.

Now back on Windows 7 X64 Enterprise. Best OS ever imho.

Hopefully Windows 9 will be a worthy upgrade, DirectX 12 could be a game changer if it's a low level API to take on Mantle. If they tie that in with W9, and just get rid of Metro for desktop users I could see a lot of people moving to it..

Soldato
MS have talked about going to a faster update cycle for the last few years, so updating Windows every couple of years seems like something they would like to do.

Associate
Sounds good to me. More regular but cheaper updates.
I went from xp to w7 and loved it. Then to w8 and I really don't like it.
its the first windows I've seriouslly considered downgrading.
my pc is predominantly for gaming and surfing the net and as such w8 does make it harder for me to do these things.

Soldato
I am still on windows 7 that i installed when it came out!

I got a win8 licence for cheap ( £25 ) and put it on a spare drive and had a play. Once you get rid of metro and stick a start button back on its usuable.

Metro really is marmite... love it hate it! i personally hate it.

The main reason i have held off migrating to the windows 8 is that some of my programmes such as power dvd apparently wont work.

The only real benefit i can see is the fact it will be a newer OS and a few extra functions and dx11.2 etc.. not enough to convince me to bother.

Soldato
The problem with a fast release schedule for major versions of something like Windows is it won't give big companies time to deploy a version. That'll then be followed by dire moaning on the internet that "No one wants windows 9 (and then 10 etc)" because of it's "low" usage and uptake.

It takes big companies along time to wrap their brains around a new release of anything, a big chunk of corporate IT folks and amongst the most change resistant when it comes to IT.

It's tough to judge, consumers might prefer a more regular release schedule (although outside of gamers and PC "hobbyists" I'm not even sure of that), but large scale enterprises (which make up a huge part of sales) general dislike change.

Having said that the world is changing as we move to subscription type services like Office 365 which is evergreen (i.e. constantly updated, always the latest version), Google Docs, Salesforce etc so perhaps perception in corporate IT will have to change and the dinosaurs in the IT dept whose answer to everything is "no" will be moved out and replaced by IT professionals that embrace change for the good of the business rather than "IT".

For me it's great, for the first time in years things are starting to get the feel of the 80s and early 90s in technology back again where lot's of things are happening quickly with a bunch of options rather than the not wanting to change anything for 5 years tedium we've had for a long time now. I miss the "old days" of a new computer with a new OS and programs/games coming out almost every year :)

Associate
About that rumoured october update, this link shows the actual tweet he made

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/35017...wsletter&utm_medium=ttemail&utm_campaign=ttcs

WZor has been accurate in the past, and many industry insiders believe him to have insiders deep within Microsoft, if not an actual Microsoft employee himself.

To be honest it would not surprise in the slightest if it is due this year, most people hate Windows 8 with a passion so they need to lick their wounds pronto and if they do a decent job with W9 then it might work.

Time will tell.

Stoner81.

Back
Top Bottom