Windows 9 set for release next year

Soldato
Hate to say it but I'm pretty damn happy with Windows 8.1 these days, it'd have to be one damn fine upgrade to tempt me now especially if there's more than £30 required.

Associate
I'm the same as Halfmad, I'm very happy with win 8.1 performance and have even got over the quirks of the home page thing. It would need to be a substantial re work for me to consider it.

Caporegime
It will be interesting to see how they handle pricing the upgrade, or whether they charge for it at all (a la Apple).

Either way the adoption will be pretty slow since consumers don't generally upgrade their OS, they replace the PC, and PC sales are declining.

Soldato
Not surprised. MS have been wanting to go to a faster upgrade cycle, and Win 8 has been pretty poorly received compared to Win 7. If nothing else, they will want a break from Win 8 so they can market a new OS.

Hopefully they will make it a bit more friendly for those of us that don't want/need a touchscreen UI.

Soldato
I was in Lenovo showroom yesterday as I'm planning on getting non-touch T440s and 8/8.1 is such a pain to use. Luckily they do free downgrade (or should I say upgrade) to W7.

I don't care if it's 2 seconds slower on boot up, I'll be on SSD anyway.

I shall see how 9 turns out, but if it's just a polished version of 8.1 I'll be holding on to W7 like some hold on to XP now.

Man of Honour
I read somewhere that windows 8.2 will be released later this year.

MS need to start offering home editions free is they have any hope of making this a success and making people jump from windows 7 or indeed 8.x.

Associate
Interesting, I'm currently kicking myself for not going the cheap upgrade route and trying to justify the price of a new 8.1 licence. Now I think I'll just wait for Win 9 and hopefully get a cheap upgrade from 7 then.

Caporegime
How desperately are you scrambling around trying to find contractors who can name their price to migrate you to Windows 7?

We're a bank still running on windows XP :(

Any plans to migrate to 7 (or higher) before April?

Interesting that MS want to leave 8 behind in 2015, I guess they need to do something though due to the commercial failure of Windows 8. However, this is the first source I've seen referring to "Theshold" as Windows 9 (others calling it 8.2) and although I've heard that Threshold does bring back a traditional Start Menu, I'll wait until this is confirmed by more sources, before I take that as a truth.

Caporegime
Any plans to migrate to 7 (or higher) before April?

Interesting that MS want to leave 8 behind in 2015, I guess they need to do something though due to the commercial failure of Windows 8. However, this is the first source I've seen referring to "Theshold" as Windows 9 (others calling it 8.2) and although I've heard that Threshold does bring back a traditional Start Menu, I'll wait until this is confirmed by more sources, before I take that as a truth.

Leave behind as in release a new version, but it's supported until 2018:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=windows+8&Filter=FilterNO

Back
Top Bottom