Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 12th February 2014]

Soldato
Nice result for Norwich. City still having issues on the road. Chelski step up as favourites, if only it wasn't for the fact it's not one of their objectives this season lol

Caporegime
Remind me on how many goals the both of them have in the EPL?

Don't just hate for the sake of hating.

goal threat, we played a ball to him, he ran at goal with it and won a penalty. I don't think I've seen Giroud do this yet. He is incapable of being a goal threat except inside the 6 yard box, where just about anyone capable of standing up is classed as a goal threat.

Give the ball to Suarez outside the box today, there was a chance he could score or set up a goal for someone else. Knock the ball up to Giroud basically anywhere on the pitch...... nothing at all, for 2 years, he has zero ability to run on the ball, he has zero ability to beat a man, he is quite honestly a terrible terrible striker. His interplay(primarily when stood still) isn't bad, that is simply not enough for a player.

Chamakh I class as a significantly higher goal threat, he does SO much more for the team. Against Arsenal Chamakh was really good, he held the ball up, passed well enough and defended excellently on all but one occasion, and it's not surprising to see a striker not defend brilliantly for 90 mins, particularly against a midget who is much faster than him.

Where was Giroud's fight, defensive work rate, marking of players, physicality, ability to hold the ball up to bring others into a game, control the ball to prevent Liverpool attacking.

Giroud was the epitome of **** today and I found it ironic that Chamakh, deemed as not good enough has done a hell of a lot more for his team this year than Giroud for us. the majority of the goals Giroud has gotten can be scored by just about any striker, he's had a handful of good games and none of them involved excellent "strikers" play.

I can't really remember, outside Ameobi, the last striker so incapable of running at defenders.

Giroud "ran" at the defence once all game, he pretty much lost control and ran into a defender. None of them panicked, they didn't rush out and foul him, they didn't need to risk a foul, he just handed the ball back. Chamakh had a good chance to run at the defence, won a penalty, scored the goal. Liverpool at no stage throughout the whole game ever found Giroud difficult to cope with, unpredictable, he did nothing at all for the team today, if he's outside the 6 yard box you can basically forget he's on the pitch, that is embarrassing.

Caporegime
Beat? Win? Come on pal, let us not be subtle about this, you were thrashed :p Gunners flunk their season yet again.

The season aint over pal:p...sure ok if it makes you feel any better, we were thrashed but then the way we played today, i think any other team would have beaten us today :(.

We are still in second so not such a bad loss imho, luckily City drew at Norwich...was hoping that Newcastle would have given Chelsea a run for their money.

Don
Incredible performance from Liverpool earlier today. The first 20 minutes were as good as I can remember us playing in a very long time - we looked like scoring every time we attacked and it's not often you're 4-0 up after 20 and it's flattered the opposition.

3 months ago I was really starting to worry about Sterling. He looked to have not only stalled in his progression but also looked weighed down by his new contract. Ever since the defeat to Hull, where he was terrible, he's been a revelation though. He's not just lightening quick but he's incredible strong for somebody his size and his use of the ball and his runs are so clever for a player of his age. He was fantastic today and if he improves his finishing he really could become a world class winger.

As well as Sterling, I thought Coutinho was excellent today too. When Pigeon mentioned the possibility of playing him as one of the midfield 3 in a 4-3-3, I have to say I was far from confident that it'd work but against Everton and again today, he was near faultless. He gets on the ball so much from a deeper role and he really makes us tick but what's really impressed me has been his work rate and defensive work. He was all over the likes of Wilshere today, not allowing them a second to breath, winning the ball back quickly or giving away a foul when needed too.

After what we done to Everton and again today against Arsenal, any side that comes to Anfield and looks to push up the pitch needs their heads testing.

Soldato
What a nice result to wake up from night shift too. Sounds like we didn't turn up at all today (Arseblog's player ratings had nobody above a 3 lol) and Liverpool exploited that completely - away fans sounded like they were good as usual.

Oh well, when we got creamed by City we then went on to take 20 out of 24 points, let's hope they bounce back as quick as that... saying that we have an inferiorioty complex when it comes to playing United even if they are dog**** at the moment so it wouldn't surprise me if we **** that up too.

Man of Honour
Hazard is unbelievable, I haven't seen a player like him when he's on his game.
I think we've broken Man.C. too
icon14.gif

Caporegime
Something else I've noticed in the last few games is Gerrard, and Henderson when Gerrard came off today, dropping in between the defenders when we have possession. It allows the defenders to split and almost becomes a three at the back. Gives the fullbacks even more license to bombs forward and stops the opposition breaking in to space. Think Rodgers has learnt from the Villa performance and changed things to accommodate Gerrard and we look better for it imo.

Don
Torres is injured, isn't he?
Something else I've noticed in the last few games is Gerrard, and Henderson when Gerrard came off today, dropping in between the defenders when we have possession. It allows the defenders to split and almost becomes a three at the back. Gives the fullbacks even more license to bombs forward and stops the opposition breaking in to space. Think Rodgers has learnt from the Villa performance and changed things to accommodate Gerrard and we look better for it imo.

The real test will come when we come up against sides that aren't managed by the likes of Wenger or Martinez. Neither of those 2 were going to change their approach to counter us but you can be sure that when we play Chelsea, if we set-up like that they'll have Oscar sitting on him and look to swarm him every time he gets the ball.

Back
Top Bottom