** 6 Nations 2014**

Associate
Really good game by england, shame that they had to give away so many penalties though.

Having said that, nothing compared to Scotland yesterday. It was all going so well, then they let it go again in the last 20 minutes. Classic..

Soldato
If not for the penalty count and some of the tactical kicking (and I say some - because occasionally the kicking from hand was pretty good), that was an excellent England performance. The second and back rows were immense. So many times the basics were right - and from that the little extras start falling into place, like the offloads and the grubber kicks. Keep it simple until it's time to try something. Having a back three that actually makes me think might manage to break the line, or go past someone makes it so much easier to watch England play (and as for Mike Brown, well, I think it's all been said already - a lot!).

Wales have have definitely lost their mojo for the moment. I'm sure it will be back, but while their pack is still competing, the back line is coming across uninspired.

This championship will come down to whether or not Ireland can win in France - not historically their favourite place, but they're a solid team and if they play sensibly (i.e. don't give up a massive lead in the first half :D) then I think they'll win. France will have a bit of a spring in their step after underservedly winning on Saturday - if Scotland had a goalkicker like Farrell or Halfpenny, that result would not have passed them by. They've had issues on that front since Paterson retired. I hope they sort it out, for the sake of my ears (the other half is Scottish :D).

Soldato
Really impressive again from England. Wilson (only just back from injury remember) played out of his skin. Lawes and Launchbury still setting the bar high. Good energy in the backrow. Good decisions from the half backs. Ambition aplenty from the outside backs. :)
And then there's the list of players to return: Corbisiero, Cole, Parling, B Vunipola, Croft, Tuilagi, Yarde, Wade, Foden

Soldato
Definitely, England have an abundance of riches at the moment. The development program of the last 10 years is now finally bearing real fruit (Interestingly most created by Lancaster himself with his years as youth coach ;))

Associate
I'm mildly disappointed that Scotland didn't quite manage to hold on but fairly happy that I can say Scotland at least matched, if not bettered, France for the vast majority of the match and the performance was encouraging. If you'd offered me that result before the match then I think I'd have taken it happily.

I'm not convinced that there was downward pressure from a French hand (or finger) but if there's another replay I'd be interested to see it in case I missed something at the time, the decision looked pretty tricky to me and it was certainly a bit fortuitous for Hogg to steal in.

It was a depressing match. It should have been our first win over the French for eight years.A French team that were utter rank, missing their best player in Picamoles and other players.

If we had guile, we would have thumped them.

Soldato
Why am I not surprised that Gatland and co are being bad losers yet again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26510039

The arrogance that comes from the Welsh coaching set-up smacks far to much of the England Woodward era and does Wales and the players a complete and utter disservice.

Jenkins spent all game boring inwards, I saw it, Brian Moore and Eddie Butler picked it up from the first scrum, Poite saw it a gave the appropriate sanction. Stop whinging and take it on the chin.

Gatland has denuded all creativity from a great set of backs, removed the option of alternative plans and more often than not sticks his foot squarely in his mouth before every game. Sorry Wales he's now a liability for you, regardless of what he's achieved he's now apparently fresh out of ideas and you only have 18 months to an almost home World Cup.

**Edit
To put it in context, when Rowntree had a whinge after last years game, Lancaster and Farrell told him to shut-up and deal with it. What goes around comes around, at the top level of sport it's small margins.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It was a depressing match. It should have been our first win over the French for eight years.A French team that were utter rank, missing their best player in Picamoles and other players.

True, Scotland should have won but I'm trying to take positives from this and while it was a poor French team Scotland looked like they had a bit more direction than in previous matches this tournament so again if you'd offered me that before the game I'd have taken it.

Associate
True, Scotland should have won but I'm trying to take positives from this and while it was a poor French team Scotland looked like they had a bit more direction than in previous matches this tournament so again if you'd offered me that before the game I'd have taken it.

Definitely shows scotland is going in the right direction. Glad they've got Richie Gray and Dave Denton back in the team now as well.

Soldato
I think with Scotland, there may not be an abundance of riches but there are some very good quality players in key positions but the whole thing is being mismanaged by Johnson and the sooner Vern Cotter takes over the better.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Why am I not surprised that Gatland and co are being bad losers yet again:

The arrogance that comes from the Welsh coaching set-up smacks far to much of the England Woodward era and does Wales and the players a complete and utter disservice.

Jenkins spent all game boring inwards, I saw it, Brian Moore and Eddie Butler picked it up from the first scrum, Poite saw it a gave the appropriate sanction. Stop whinging and take it on the chin.

Strangely enough I was thinking this too. England suffered from it as you say and it seems to effect the favourites whoever may be the flavour of the year team.

Without sounding too harsh Wales have definitely plateaud and if not careful are on a downward trend. So near to a world cup too it's not a good sign.

Caporegime
^^I'm not surprised that the Welsh are being sore losers. As someone said though, it was glaringly obvious that Jenkins was boring in, they were warned twice, what more do they want?

Scotland were mugged, a great shame.

Soldato
The only problem I had all game was the first try... taken 3-4 meters from where the original infringement happened AND the ref blocked the view of 2-4 welsh players... Ref should have brought him back and told to go again (although it most likely wouldn't have changed the outcome of a **** poor welsh performance).

Warrenball has been found out and it no longer works... Biggar will fall cropper of this against Scotland as he'll be told what priest land was told, kick down the middle. I think Warren might be the problem. I know he is a good coach, but when found out you have to change your play style and stop being so predictable!

Glad we found out today (vs. England) rather that in a year and halfs time... Still time to rectify this slow moving car crash before it goes completely off the rails!

p.s. Still won against england on aggregate :p

Last edited:
Soldato
SUPER SOFA SATURDAY is here.

I think England will pile on enough points against Italy to make today interesting.
Although Ireland will know exactly what result they need due to the late kick off I think they might try and force things a bit if they they need a 15 point margin or more, and that's a tricky mental state for any team.

Can't see France pinching it. They'll be lucky to get through the match without the home crowd booing them.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Anyone watch Stephen Ferris' comeback for Ulster last night?

This was the first play immediately after he came on -

Now that was a 15 month run-up :D!!!

Back
Top Bottom