** 6 Nations 2014**

Soldato
Its that time of year again...6 nations....youll need a pint of bitter and some mates to come over and cheer your team along!

Game dates and times all playing on the bbc.
Saturday 1 February
Wales v Italy 14:00-16:30
France v England 16:30-19:00

Sunday 2 February
Ireland v Scotland 14:30-17:00

Saturday 8 February
Ireland v Wales 14:00-16:30
Scotland v England 19:00-19:30

Sunday 9 February
France v Italy 14:30-17:00

Friday 21 February
Wales v France 19:55

Saturday 22 February
Italy v Scotland 13:00-15:30
England v Ireland 15:30-18:00
England v Ireland (Women's Match) 18:00-20:00

Saturday 8 March
Ireland v Italy 14:00-16:30
Scotland v France 16:30-19:00

Sunday 9 March
England v Wales 14:30-17:00

Saturday 15 March
Italy v England 12:10-14:30
Wales v Scotland 14:30-16:45
France v Ireland 16:45-19:00

England's 26 man squad to face France on sunday David Attwood (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (London Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby), Matt Mullan (London Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers) Brad Barritt (Saracens), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), Danny Care (Harlequins), Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Alex Goode (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby).

I for one am really pleased that ashton is not playing on sunday, he hasnt played well for England for a long time.

so guys any predictions??

rotters

Man of Honour
I for one am really pleased that ashton is not playing on sunday, he hasnt played well for England for a long time.

I'm delighted we're not going to have to see that arrogant swan dive either.

I'm quite looking forward to the Tournament this year, not that I expect anything huge from Scotland but I think we've been making a bit of progress recently so I hope that continues.

Soldato
Whilst Ashton has been dissapointing England under Lancaster have been utterly unwilling to play a game that suits his strengths. No offloads, no inside runners, no cut backs from the centres, no guile. The backs responsibility is limited to not losing the match whilst the forwards win it. Lancasters misues of Flood is a case in point he may as well have gone and bought him a ticket to France himself.

Wales have to start as favourites but it's really marginal this year, Ireland and England are only a fraction behind with Ireland having the better balance. France are an unknown but if Saint Andre has a stroke and overcomes his mad policy regarding fly halves and picks Trinh Duc it could be game on. So I expect to see Louis Picamoles lining up at 10. Scotland and Italy may shake up the "natural order" but thats the best we can hope for not enough class outside the forwards who are competitive but not dominant.

I'll stick my neck out and go for an Ireland Championship, England second.

Edit: France have picked 2 fly halves I've barely heard of and never seen play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst Ashton has been dissapointing England under Lancaster have been utterly unwilling to play a game that suits his strengths. No offloads, no inside runners, no cut backs from the centres, no guile. The backs responsibility is limited to not losing the match whilst the forwards win it. Lancasters misues of Flood is a case in point he may as well have gone and bought him a ticket to France himself.

Ashton is a one trick pony and most international defensive coaches had him sussed by his second season. He can't win one on ones, he can't tackle, doesn't know how to place himself on a turned defence and is lazy in his cover, nothing to do with Lancaster, Farrell & Catt. Just look at the butchering of the profuse chances he had in the AIs. Good riddance to him.

Great looking team for Saturday

England: Mike Brown; Jack Nowell, Luther Burrell, Billy Twelvetrees, Jonny May; Owen Farrell, Danny Care; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley, Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Tom Wood, Chris Robshaw, Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Tom Youngs, Mako Vunipola, Henry Thomas, Dave Attwood, Ben Morgan, Lee Dickson, Brad Barritt, Alex Goode.

Looking forward to seeing Burrell and 36 work together in the centres and in May and Nowell there are two real Wingers who will panic defences and playing outside a centre partnership that will be able to get the ball to them. Glad Care starts and the Tight five for all it being so young is really starting to look settled and Gnarly in the model of great England fives of the past. I also like the balance that finally has come to the back row.

Saturday 17:00hrs bring it on :D

Soldato
Priestland again???? FFS, I'm not sure how he is still in this team. I would have picked Hook and then have Biggar on the bench, I'm happy with the rest of the team though. Wales should have a comfortable victory but you never know with the ever improving Italian team. After the brilliant performance against the All Blacks, I fear for Scotland, I think that they could be getting a bit of a hiding. As for the England - France game, I have no idea. They have a very young 9-10 combo which could be a stroke of genius or a complete disaster.

Soldato
TMT I agree with most of your critique of Ashton I wouldn't have picked him these last 18 months. But it doesn't help to pick a player with a very specific style and then play a game plan that provides no opportunity for that style to flourish. As back myself I have had little to be impressed or excited with under this current coaching structure.

Soldato
Italy played well today, their second half performance particularly. Parisse is just so good, he would be on my shortlist for World player most years.
The Italian scrum was dominant but didn't get much benefit of the doubt, somehting to work on I think.

Hibbard had a good game but I'm amazed none of his lineouts were called not straight because Ididn't see one that would be allowed at low levels of the amateur game.
Falatou did very well at the breakdown and sailed so close to the wind when it came to release and compete I think his early work bought him the benefit of the doubt a least once which is exactly what you want from a back rower.
Amazingly Rhys Preistland may have been the best Welsh back today because there wasn't any competition from anyone else.

Soldato
Couple of cracking comments so far in the England game.

Nigel Owens to Billy Twelvetrees: "You didn't know that? How long have you been playing this game?!"

Brian Moore: "Dylan Hartley with the Barnes Wallace pass to Billy Vunipola".

Eddie Butler: "Bernard La Roux the South African.... now Frenchman"

If England start dealing with France's excellent couter rucking I think they can get back into this. Although France are leading they don't seem to be creating much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom