Sold my car to a guy in Malta, is it safe?

Soldato
Hi

I put my 911 up for sale yesterday and struck a deal with a guy from Malta. He is going to give me a £5k deposit now and fly over to collect it in 3 weeks.

Assuming he pays by bank transfer is this 110% safe, is there no way it can be retracted?

Do I need to do any money laundering checks?

Soldato
I *think* chaps is irreversible? Its not that uncommon for UK cars to be exported now so if the guy seems legit that's not necessarily a worry

Soldato
OP
Sounds dodgy. I got loads of emails offering me a deal like this when I put mine on autotrader. ..beware..

I would normally think so but he has not asked for anything unusual. He will send a deposit first, fly down and pick up the car. I also googled him and he seems to be a honest professional but you never really know.

Last edited:
Associate
No. They all drive like **** morons and it will get crashed.

My brother and i met with a couple of maltesers who wanted to buy my dads 68 dodge charter 6 weeks ago. On the test drive i thought they were going to wreck the thing, they were doing doughnuts and hooning it about no end.

We actually agreed to sell it to them and we are still waiting on the return of the v5 from the DVLA as the vin was mistyped. Once the document has been corrected we will be dropping it off at an exporters in Birmingham where the money will be transferred and documents signed.

They looked like a couple of Sopanos too...
malteasrs.jpg

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I don't think it's an issue.
It doesn't scream scam to me at all. If you've Googled him and found him then I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Soldato
A quick google turns up loads of threads about people buying cars from Malta. It's a scam 100%.

Steer well clear. The cash sale will never materialise. Once they have established a raport with you they will then try and change things and roll out the con. Many permiatations to the scam such as a cash deposit then turining up for collection with a draft or offer of transfer.

Just think about it - why would someone pay £5k deposit for a car they have never seen or driven, then wait 3 weeks to pick it up.

Back
Top Bottom