EE - Ran out of data allowance.

Soldato
Got an iPhone 5 with EE, it's on a 4G contract with unlimited minutes/texts and 3GB data (£46/mo). I've had it for around 18 months now and this is the first time I've hit my allowance and it doesn't refresh until the 26th. I'm usually quite conservative with my data due to it being such a low allowance.

Called them up today to be told that I can add 100mb for £1.99 or increase my tariff to £50 and I will get 5GB of data allowance. I'm a little disgruntled as now you can get 4G plans with a lot more data for the same price as I am paying.

Any ideas on what I can do or am I stuck with this until my renewal in December?

Man of Honour
Suck it up and pay for the extra. I bet you the new tariff would tie you in again, so be careful.
I'm surprised there aren't more of these threads as it is a stupidly low limit with an insane price tag.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something better always comes along when these things have been about for a while but unfortunately you're in contract so either suck it up or pay the extra and be tied into a another contract with a pitifully low allowance and a lol price tag.

Soldato
OP
I personally use wifi where I can to avoid using all my allowance. Do you have many background apps which consume your mobile data?
I do too, I don't know what's happened this month! I'll have to check for background apps.

Suck it up and pay for the extra. I bet you the new Tardif would tie you in again, sombre careful.
I'm surprised there aren't more of these threads as it is a stupidly low limit with an insane price tag.
The woman on the phone said it wouldn't tie me in again and I'd be free to upgrade at the same time.

Man of Honour
At least that's something. It's only 6 days. Would 100mb do you, turn a lot of your notifications/syncing off and stay away from music/video streaming

Man of Honour
Yeah, I know. But I was thinking I may as well bump it up to 5GB for the extra £4/mo for the rest of my contract term, as I've said, I've been conservative.

Oh yeah for some reason I thought you said 36. Lol £46. Yeah you might as well, just double check you can still leave them in December.

Man of Honour
Dont know if you use facebook a lot but since it automatically plays videos know when scrolling down it uses more data then it used too

That really annoyed me there is an option to switch it off on the web version of the site (I don't use the app) but its really buried away in the options :S

Soldato
OP
Turned the FB auto play off all together after you mentioned it.

Just spoke to them again, got through to a helpful guy, he put me on one of their new tariffs for £47.99 with unlimited text/mins and 10GB data (switches over next week) which the woman I spoke to said I couldn't. He also reset my allowance because I mentioned to him that I didn't get my 80% allowance message (I mentioned this to the woman also but got nowhere).

Glad I didn't go for it on the first call.

Soldato
Suck it up and pay for the extra. I bet you the new tariff would tie you in again, so be careful.

I think the point is £47 contracts now are either 10gb or 20gb on EE so paying £50 for 5GB is just criminal.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/iphone-5s-16gb-gold/details

iPhone 5s is 20gb/unlimited text/ unlimited minutes for £47 and just £9.99 for the phone so I can see OP points. This is also with double EE so not sure if OP is on that either.

I would personally call them back and quote the new data packages and see what they say, and also make sure they don't start a new contract, there sneaky like that.

Back
Top Bottom