CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
Spending £5700 to get a car like that to 200bhp is as stupid as the guy buying the Corsa from car craft on finance.

Enjoy your car for what it is, put the money to one side and wait until you are bored of the CRZ and buy something else altogether. You'll loose so much money on that £5700 and suddenly your car only appears to niche buyers making it hard to sell.

Caporegime
I would personally change it as Mitsubishi FTO's are 2.0 litre V6 engined pushing 190bhp as standard and you can pick one up for under £1500 and you can either single, twin or supercharge it aswell.

But Nath said he wouldn't want it to be older/higher mileage than his CRZ.

Even if that were not in his list of criteria I think it would be pretty naff going from a 2011 CRZ to an old FTO.

Caporegime
It's the same kit as the iCF mate.

regarding K20 swap, I don't think you guys have looked in to the pricing of that but it is more epxensive. As you need, engine, gearbox, wiring loom + the install. And the end result is an engine from a car I could just go and buy outright (type R).

Exactly, the e46 does nothing for me either.

Most of you will know this but fyi my car history is as follows:

- MKIV Supra non turbo
- MKIV Supra TT UK Spec
- Nissan 350Z GT (VQ35DE)
- Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4TSI

I dont think people are understanding that I dont want a car older than 2011.

The SC isnt about simply getting 200BHP, it's the package that the 200BHP is in.

I think you've already made you're mind up and looking for other people to confirm your purchase.

Personally I think it's a daft idea, mostly because I don't like the car in it's current state and spending close to £6k to get 200bhp in my mind is just daft.

Especially when you can pick an older car up for £3k which would be just as much fun. But then it's not my money, and nor do I have a love for the car.

Do you have any links for the system? The only thing I can find is this, which states 175bhp.

http://www.tdi-plc.com/katana-supercharger-system-for-honda-cr-z/

Last edited:
Caporegime
How about a 2013 Toyota BRZ 2.0 litre 200 bhp standard?

I assume you mean Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, but I like this suggestion.

A friend of mine has a beautiful one, white and lowered slightly onto black BBS CH-R's.

It sounded great and felt very quick (possibly partially because it is so close to the road). The interior was just fantastic as well, an incredibly nice place to be. He has a turbo kit on it now. Haven't been in it since but I'd love to. :D

Unsure as to what the expenses would be though. If you get one new enough it would be under warranty I suppose, but I'm unsure on the fuel economy.

Last edited:
Associate
Propulsion
Fuel Type: Gas
Engine Type: 2.0L I4
Power: 200 hp @ 7000 rpm
Torque: 151 lb-ft @ 6400 rpm
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Highway Fuel Economy: 30 mpg
City Fuel Economy: 22 mpg
Forced Induction: None
Direct Injection: Yes

pretty bad fuel economy though

Soldato
OP
I think you've already made you're mind up and looking for other people to confirm your purchase.

Not at all, I'm just struggling to find something that will cost me as little to run which will deliver the same performance and be just as unique as to me I can't seem to think of anything.

The BRZ/GT86 suggestion is good although how would driving one 18K a year up and down the M6 be?

Soldato
Can't you just put the Civic type R engine in it? That's 200BHP. I doubt you would get 50MPG out of a supercharged car, and you've no guarantee it wont go bang or destroy something else like the gearbox....

Caporegime
I cant comment on how it would be driving up and down the M6 year on year, but I have been on a long motorway haul in the '86 and it wasn't unpleasant. It has a 6 speed box so the revs didn't sit too high at 70 and it was very peaceful, the ride wasn't unagreeable but it was firm as you can imagine. And with the air-con and the radio on it was a very comfortable trip, chatting away. Plenty of power to play with as well. It was perfectly happy and still amazingly quiet sitting behind Mr. BMW in the outside lane at 100 as well.

Did the same trip again after he had a full exhaust, new wheels and coilovers fitted and that was far less pleasant I must say. The sound was great on the B roads, but it soon grew wearing on the motorway. And by the end of the trip it felt like my spine had been pulled out and smacked against a brick wall. :p

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Most of you will know this but fyi my car history is as follows:

- MKIV Supra non turbo
- MKIV Supra TT UK Spec
- Nissan 350Z GT (VQ35DE)
- Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4TSI

I dont think people are understanding that I dont want a car older than 2011.

Why the 2011 cutoff?
The only possible thing I can think that this may give over any other hot hatch at around £5-6 would be economy? But then again looking at your past cars you aint bothered about economy :p

Sell the CRZ add the money you'd be spending on the mod and buy summit newer?

Associate
Personally I would save a bit longer, buy an S2000 as a second car and have the best of both...I know you said you don't want an older car but reliability shouldn't be an issue because theyre pretty solid and you've always got the other car.

Hawker

Caporegime
Personally I would save a bit longer, buy an S2000 as a second car and have the best of both...I know you said you don't want an older car but reliability shouldn't be an issue because theyre pretty solid and you've always got the other car.

Hawker

Yeah and then you can get all competitive with your modding and have some B road fun with Mr RJK ;)

Soldato
Fuel economy wise, some of the newer ~1.6 turbo hatches should get 40+. I used to average about 38-39 in my 172.

I like your CRZ, but 6 grand is silly money to throw at it and won't be any more fun than most hatches with similar power and decent suspension.

Save the 6 grand and chop yours in for something else IMO

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
CRZ - keep as it is.
buy an 350z, S2000, RX8 [:p] with the £5700

or spend the money. I know you love the car. it would be truly unique etc etc.

I have spent far too many hours discussing this matter with you for you to not be fully aware of my opinion already.

Soldato
OP
Why the 2011 cutoff?
Sell the CRZ add the money you'd be spending on the mod and buy summit newer?

My car is 2011 so I wouldnt want to go older ideally. And lol that is the point, either CRZ + SC or CRZ trade in + SC funds.

Hawker

nein, Don't want to juggle two cars as I've doen that before and is costly/hassle. Plus I would have something more insane than an S2K if I was to go the 2nd car route, but any I digress.

The GT86/BRZ idea I do like the sound of, however one of those is going to set me back more than the cost of my Car plus the £5700 I would spend on a SC kit install.

Associate
Nath, there are a couple of kit car suppliers that custom build brackets and pipework (for various cars) using secondhand Mini superchargers. I did look at a 2l BMW conversion that looked really good, and the price was around £2K, but they have done a few which brings the price down.

Back
Top Bottom