CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
Hi guys,

Towards the end of the year I plan to supercharge my CRZ.

The Mugen Katana S/C kit will take the car up to 200BHP, which would be epic fun.

1150KG, 200BHP SC Hybrid which can do over 50MPG and handles immensly, sounds like the Type R they should have made instead of the FN2 ;)

I'm really keen on this idea. However to get this done it will cost £5700 inc VAT for the kit and installation & mapping etc.

Now it would be blindsighted of me not to consider the price of my car + the cost of SC to see what I could buy instead.

FYI my CRZ is 2011 Sport spec with FHSH 38K miles. Estimated to be 8.5K - 9K trade in.

So what would you do? S/C the CRZ and have a truly unique affordable hot hatch or buy something else completely?

EDIT: a different car would have to be no older/higher mileage. My annual mileage is 18K now.

Running costs of the CRZ:
- Tax £20
- Insurance £500
- MPG average 46
- Tyres are £400 per year
- Most consumables are reasonable (brakes etc)
- Servicing is £125/£250 alternating years/12K

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That seems an awful lot of money to spend to just get a car up to 200bhp, which isn't really much now? I would change car.

Well by most standard no it isn't. But for the size/weight of the car and economy that comes with it (without being diesel) it is very unique.

Seeing as you said change car, the next question is, to what?

Soldato
OP
If you sell your CRZ and keep the ridiculous £5700 sum it would cost to supercharge it, you could get something a-lot more fun. Possibly even with similar economy. :p

But its your money, your car, you who needs to smile when you see it. Do what makes you happy. :)

Well yeah thats the other option I mentioned in the OP, the question is what though?

Soldato
OP
Wow thats almost the same money as Honda themselves were talking about for the iCF stuff?

Maybe drop a K20 in instead or get a DC5? Id stuggle with that especially as Honda have stopped selling in the UK.

It's the same kit as the iCF mate.

regarding K20 swap, I don't think you guys have looked in to the pricing of that but it is more epxensive. As you need, engine, gearbox, wiring loom + the install. And the end result is an engine from a car I could just go and buy outright (type R).

RE; the E46 M3 idea - Maintenance, fuel cost, tyres, potential repairs, tax and so on would all be through the roof in comparison to Nath's CRZ though.

Exactly, the e46 does nothing for me either.

Most of you will know this but fyi my car history is as follows:

- MKIV Supra non turbo
- MKIV Supra TT UK Spec
- Nissan 350Z GT (VQ35DE)
- Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4TSI

I dont think people are understanding that I dont want a car older than 2011.

The SC isnt about simply getting 200BHP, it's the package that the 200BHP is in.

Soldato
OP
I think you've already made you're mind up and looking for other people to confirm your purchase.

Not at all, I'm just struggling to find something that will cost me as little to run which will deliver the same performance and be just as unique as to me I can't seem to think of anything.

The BRZ/GT86 suggestion is good although how would driving one 18K a year up and down the M6 be?

Soldato
OP
Why the 2011 cutoff?
Sell the CRZ add the money you'd be spending on the mod and buy summit newer?

My car is 2011 so I wouldnt want to go older ideally. And lol that is the point, either CRZ + SC or CRZ trade in + SC funds.

Personally I would save a bit longer, buy an S2000 as a second car and have the best of both...I know you said you don't want an older car but reliability shouldn't be an issue because theyre pretty solid and you've always got the other car.

Hawker

nein, Don't want to juggle two cars as I've doen that before and is costly/hassle. Plus I would have something more insane than an S2K if I was to go the 2nd car route, but any I digress.

The GT86/BRZ idea I do like the sound of, however one of those is going to set me back more than the cost of my Car plus the £5700 I would spend on a SC kit install.

Soldato
OP
Only just, in a few cases.

Most are a bit over 18K.

Yep most are holding onto their value quite well.

And for me 18K gets me the only other car I could justify on the age and running cost front, a 370Z.

Nath, there are a couple of kit car suppliers that custom build brackets and pipework (for various cars) using secondhand Mini superchargers. I did look at a 2l BMW conversion that looked really good, and the price was around £2K, but they have done a few which brings the price down.

yeah the point of this kit is that it is a genuine mugen kit, so designed with Honda to work seemlessly with the car. Which is fitting as the car has a Mugen kit on it.

Soldato
OP
Nath, there are a couple of kit car suppliers that custom build brackets and pipework (for various cars) using secondhand Mini superchargers. I did look at a 2l BMW conversion that looked really good, and the price was around £2K, but they have done a few which brings the price down.

I was going to suggest the 370Z but I didn't because of the price. :p

No idea how they compare. I suspect it would be the better drive. As well as being a hell of a load faster. And having the V6.

Yeah what about one of those? :D

Well I've drove both the 370Z and GT86 so I know how they compare.

The GT86 is nimbler and less exciting/fast/agressive power wise.

The 370Z is a brute but heavier feeling.

The 370Z is a lot of money to both buy and then to run, it's a pretty brave pill to swallow to run one of those doing 18K a year.

Someone fancy doing the maths for me?

Soldato
OP
My running costs for GT86:

Tax: £225
Tyres: £400
Insurance: £320
Servicing: £169 / £299 every 10k
MPG: 31 when having fun, 36 on commute, 39 on a run

With a dealer like RRG on your doorstep you should be well looked after if owning a GT86, but mine has had a replacement satnav, replacement gearbox, new door seals all within 6 months which took about 10 trips to my dealer who kept denying there were any faults.

Running costs seems reasonable as it's only tax and MPG that suffer a little.

Although a replacement gearbox doesn't sound great!

Soldato
OP
Your car value + SC money = something nicer maybe? If you're getting 9k trade and 6k SC money you're already at 15k. Must be something 200bhp and new for that surely?

Seems like a load of money for very little, except a bit more horsepower and more stressed stuff.

But hey.

Man that is the point, did you read the OP? The question is what would you suggest that would fit the bill for the equivilant money.

Soldato
OP
Whats the expected value of the car+mod?

Car is worth around 8.5 - 9K at a guess. CRZ 2011 plate 38K miles sport spec. And the mod is 5.7k

However, knowing what you like I do struggle a bit. The GT86 sounds a good idea if you can stretch to it.

Indeed, I almost feel like I am goingto be consigned to a german diesel saloon.

Soldato
OP
Seems like silly money for not a great gain.

Plus could you keep it on standard brakes? You won't get the same MPG figure you are claiming now either. Does tax stay the same? How does it affect insurance?

GT86 would be better in all aspects IMHO

Brakes, yes as they are the same as S2000 brakes bar the smaller disc. I have been looking into bigger options anyway.

Tax will remain the same. I don't think tax ever changes on a individual basis.

Insurance will increase but only marginally.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mazda 3 MPS? Would get you a Mk2.

I have always liked these.

A quick look on auto trader could get me a 2011 one with around 30-40K for £11-12K.

Are they ruinous on fuel? I know they can be tuned well and have a good spec.

Well I know you are quite adamant that you don't want an older car, so is something like an '09 S2000 off the cards entirely?

Most likely as I find the S2000 quite small and claustrophobic inside and I dont think it is the best suited to motorway driving.

Soldato
OP
How much has the CRZ already 'cost' you in terms of depreciation?

I bought in Dec 2012 for £12,800 with 16,000 on the clock.

Now sits at 38,000 and estimated worth of £8.5-9K.

Reason I want to change in Dec is that I would have owned it for 2 years and I can't see it depreciating more now that it has past the "out of warranty/MOT" threshold.

Soldato
OP
Depends how heavy your foot is. I test drove one and it was quite nice - all Mk.2 MPSes come with everything included in the spec afaik so there's no "hunting for the right one".

I don't expect it'll be anywhere near your CRZ in fuel economy but compared to it's rivals (Focus ST, Golf R32, GTI Ed.30, Megane RS etc.) it's going to be somewhere in the middle.

Anywhere nearby you could take one for a test drive?

I may go and test drive one this weekend. Just looking at insurance now.

Back
Top Bottom