CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
OP
Only just, in a few cases.

Most are a bit over 18K.

Yep most are holding onto their value quite well.

And for me 18K gets me the only other car I could justify on the age and running cost front, a 370Z.

Nath, there are a couple of kit car suppliers that custom build brackets and pipework (for various cars) using secondhand Mini superchargers. I did look at a 2l BMW conversion that looked really good, and the price was around £2K, but they have done a few which brings the price down.

yeah the point of this kit is that it is a genuine mugen kit, so designed with Honda to work seemlessly with the car. Which is fitting as the car has a Mugen kit on it.

Caporegime
I was going to suggest the 370Z but I didn't because of the price. :p

No idea how they compare. I suspect it would be the better drive. As well as being a hell of a load faster. And having the V6.

Yeah what about one of those? :D

Soldato
OP
Nath, there are a couple of kit car suppliers that custom build brackets and pipework (for various cars) using secondhand Mini superchargers. I did look at a 2l BMW conversion that looked really good, and the price was around £2K, but they have done a few which brings the price down.

I was going to suggest the 370Z but I didn't because of the price. :p

No idea how they compare. I suspect it would be the better drive. As well as being a hell of a load faster. And having the V6.

Yeah what about one of those? :D

Well I've drove both the 370Z and GT86 so I know how they compare.

The GT86 is nimbler and less exciting/fast/agressive power wise.

The 370Z is a brute but heavier feeling.

The 370Z is a lot of money to both buy and then to run, it's a pretty brave pill to swallow to run one of those doing 18K a year.

Someone fancy doing the maths for me?

Soldato
My running costs for GT86:

Tax: £225
Tyres: £400
Insurance: £320
Servicing: £169 / £299 every 10k
MPG: 31 when having fun, 36 on commute, 39 on a run

With a dealer like RRG on your doorstep you should be well looked after if owning a GT86, but mine has had a replacement satnav, replacement gearbox, new door seals all within 6 months which took about 10 trips to my dealer who kept denying there were any faults. If you get bored/want power in the future there are turbos/superchargers available and Cosworth is launching a range of options soon too.

Soldato
OP
My running costs for GT86:

Tax: £225
Tyres: £400
Insurance: £320
Servicing: £169 / £299 every 10k
MPG: 31 when having fun, 36 on commute, 39 on a run

With a dealer like RRG on your doorstep you should be well looked after if owning a GT86, but mine has had a replacement satnav, replacement gearbox, new door seals all within 6 months which took about 10 trips to my dealer who kept denying there were any faults.

Running costs seems reasonable as it's only tax and MPG that suffer a little.

Although a replacement gearbox doesn't sound great!

Thug
Soldato
Your car value + SC money = something nicer maybe? If you're getting 9k trade and 6k SC money you're already at 15k. Must be something 200bhp and new for that surely?

Seems like a load of money for very little, except a bit more horsepower and more stressed stuff.

But hey.

Soldato
OP
Your car value + SC money = something nicer maybe? If you're getting 9k trade and 6k SC money you're already at 15k. Must be something 200bhp and new for that surely?

Seems like a load of money for very little, except a bit more horsepower and more stressed stuff.

But hey.

Man that is the point, did you read the OP? The question is what would you suggest that would fit the bill for the equivilant money.

Soldato
Running costs seems reasonable as it's only tax and MPG that suffer a little.

Although a replacement gearbox doesn't sound great!

I had a very notchy gearbox, especially when cold. Took it to the dealer to investigate who changed the oil. When I got the car back I could no longer change down to 2nd within the first 5 miles of driving until the gearbox warmed up. Toyota denied this was a fault, called it a "characteristic" and that all cars suffered with it.

While mine was in for further tests I had a loan GT86 for the weekend which was completely different, no issues at all. As Toyota refused to repair my car (no fault, as diagnosed by Toyota GB and not just the dealer) the dealer offered to swap the gearboxes over with the loan car. Not had the issue since.

Soldato
I couldn't bring myself to spend that money, sorry.

However, knowing what you like I do struggle a bit. The GT86 sounds a good idea if you can stretch to it.

Soldato
A lot for so little. It would be epic fun no doubt but you're unlikely to ever see a return on that when you sell. If you plan to keep for a long time then maybe.

Soldato
get the crz charged,

you'll only go and buy something that loads of other people have otherwise

wheres the fun in that?

the crz will be unique fun, a car you know already.

economy wont suffer greatly unless you want it too, and your always going to recoup at least some of the cost back either selling the kit on or car complete with kit down the line.

Soldato
OP
Whats the expected value of the car+mod?

Car is worth around 8.5 - 9K at a guess. CRZ 2011 plate 38K miles sport spec. And the mod is 5.7k

However, knowing what you like I do struggle a bit. The GT86 sounds a good idea if you can stretch to it.

Indeed, I almost feel like I am goingto be consigned to a german diesel saloon.

Back
Top Bottom