• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Haswell Refresh Processors Codenamed Devil’s Canyon – Launching in Mid 2014 With Unlocked Desi

Soldato
OP
[Death];26386639 said:
still on i920 here, not sure if to go for DC or haswell-E for a bigger jump. any timeframes on haswell E ?

Rumor is September for X99. That would be a worthy upgrade from i920. 6-8 cores, DDR4, support for future 14nm chips...

I'm throwing my router away in September, must not read reviews.. Must stop buying PC stuff... :p

My GF might actually kill me... :eek:

Caporegime
Ive owned several Bloomfield setups, still have a 930 based setup. Tbh, if i took the 780 from my rig in sig and put it into the older system. Id find it very hard to notice any difference in games. Other tasks in not sure on now as gaming is my main use. Ive also owned both ivybrige chips, (i5 and i7), the performance gains with each generation aren't very significant.

Caporegime
True i suppose bru, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste when you already own a high end board that you've owned for a very short time. Only to realise there is no upgrade path on it, and the chips it does support are gimped directly from the factory. Of course you can delid but its bye bye warranty, its a poor show when the customer has to finish the job on a product. Like buying a 200mph sports car, only to find that it has no brakes fitted.:D

Soldato
True i suppose bru, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste when you already own a high end board that you've owned for a very short time. Only to realise there is no upgrade path on it, and the chips it does support are gimped directly from the factory. Of course you can delid but its bye bye warranty, its a poor show when the customer has to finish the job on a product. Like buying a 200mph sports car, only to find that it has no brakes fitted.:D

More like finding it over heats at 190mph :p

Permabanned
Well can't say I'm surprised at the latest turn of events. Just let down. :rolleyes:
Was looking to at least upgrade my mobo to z97 and keep the 4670k and clock it up high as poss. But now I'm doubting the whole plan personally. It seems you may as we'll just buy into a platform use it till it begins to become dated, then just by a whole new setup with new releases. It seems better value for money that way. :(

My thinking behind z97 was with broadwell in mind. But now I am sure new chipsets will be released with the broadwell release making current z97 redundant as well.

Guess with no competition intel can do what they want, which is no good to us consumers.

Soldato
My thinking behind z97 was with broadwell in mind. But now I am sure new chipsets will be released with the broadwell release making current z97 redundant as well.

This is the reason why there is no point buying a z97 now thinking about broadwell upgrade later because Intel will release gimped versions of broadwell on z97 platform and the mainstream CPU's on z whatever platform will be new.

Intel have done it before and they will do it again.....actually they still are doing it now!

Soldato
OP
This is the reason why there is no point buying a z97 now thinking about broadwell upgrade later because Intel will release gimped versions of broadwell on z97 platform and the mainstream CPU's on z whatever platform will be new.

Intel have done it before and they will do it again.....actually they still are doing it now!

Yeah I mean the 4770K was only the fastest CPU for gaming and beat the 3960X (£800) in a lot of tasks. While consuming much much less power.. How dare they ! So 'Gimped'..

The audacity of Intel to release such products and price them for the mainstream.. Especially when rival AMD are putting out top quality products like the FX 9590..

Also curse those Intel motherboards that are great and affordable as well..

AMD are still rocking that awesome AM3+ chipset I mean still AM3+ after all these years..

Stupid Intel have to go and update their stuff with newer features and future CPU support. How very dare thee... Same price points as well.. What muppets..

Truly evil to go and update their CPU and mobo line which is already miles ahead of the competition and bring the new stuff in at the same price points.. What an evil bunch of crap..

:p

Seriously some of you just have to be hatin on someone.. No reason to be hatin on Intel atm. They did good by bringing a refresh, especially at the same price points..

Haters gotta hate though..

Soldato
No z87 support is utterly disgusting from Intel and is treating the customers who only just recently splashed out on a new motherboard appalingly!

This won't affect 99% of Intel's Customers, though. Most of those who bought a Z87 motherboard in the last month or two, will have no idea DC is coming very soon.

The customers who however do read forums such as this one, would have known DC was coming in may/june for many months, and have no-one to blame but themselves, for buying into Z87 when it's a year old already. That was a decision they made for themselves, since it's been rumoured for many months that DC will only function on z97.

Soldato
This won't affect 99% of Intel's Customers, though. Most of those who bought a Z87 motherboard in the last month or two, will have no idea DC is coming very soon.

The customers who however do read forums such as this one, would have known DC was coming in may/june for many months, and have no-one to blame but themselves, for buying into Z87 when it's a year old already. That was a decision they made for themselves, since it's been rumoured for many months that DC will only function on z97.

What about those who bought in to z87 prior to any Devils Canyon announcement, such as myself.

Anyway, according to Asus the DC chips will be z87 compatible so it is moot.

Back
Top Bottom