Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I know carbon is strong and it won't randomly break but if I crash which does happen on wet roads etc I don't want to mess my frame up which would be big bucks and quite a bit of time to replace.
I have had carbon bikes for the last...8ish years.

For commuting, riding, racing, sportives etc. I've also crashed a few times. No issues with Carbon at all.

Heck I suppose I shouldn't, my company is one of the biggest manufacturers of composite materials in the world :p.

Soldato
As i said, i'm not going to bother arguing the benefits of carbon over aluminium when there's been so much discussion a few pages back.

As i also said, you should buy something that you are happy with - whether that is alu or carbon.

Caporegime
:eek: didn't realise the PX Carbon Pro was increased in price. Glad I impulse bought it when I did then :p

I can't understand why they've hiked it £200. Surely at the price point it was at they were taking in an awful lot of custom. Cycle to work, that magical £1,000 mark...

Man of Honour
Aren't the build delays getting excessive at PX ATM? I'd guess that the price hike is to slow down demand for a product that can't be that profitable to make in the first place. Perhaps they will have a "sale" in a couple of months...

Soldato
Probably due to the introduction of the Rival version. most people would choose shimano over sram so if they price the sram bike at 1000 they can still get the cycle to work crowd but also make a bit more money from the people who are willing to pay more to get shimano over sram.

Associate
Wait wait wait wait. Are you suggesting I put mountain/xc bike pedals on a road bike? What's wrong with you?!

I use Shimano M540's on all my bikes. It means I can use any of my shoes with any bike. Carbon soled mtb shoes are plenty stiff enough to be comfortable for long road rides and mtb winter boots actual keep my feet warm and dry. Being able to walk comfortably in them is a big bonus too. I tried some of the spd touring pedals but they seemed like a waste of time. They looked slightly better but were no more comfortable and only single sided.

Associate
now the ribble with ultegra 6800 is nice.. but is ultegra worth it over nicer IMO rose with 105?

Imo yes, I'd completely discounted Shimano equipped bikes after trying 105 but Ultegra is utterly lovely. This looks like a bit of a bargain though and the frames comfy though not overly stiff and current Tiagra is basically rebranded 105 anyway. It'd also leave enough in the budget for some nice wheels/tyres to use at the weekend.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/r...dition?part=SE14RIBEVOPROSUMMER&sub=conf_SERW

Caporegime
Just did my first proper ride on my new bike 36miles :D
I don't really ache at all like I feared I would and the only thing I've adjusted is the saddle height, I suspect I need the saddle slightly forwards though.

my average speed was slow as ever thanks to dog walkers and other cyclists etc taking advantage of the sunshine but I did get 16 personal best times on segments without really trying to.

slightly faster up the steep hills towards the end of my ride but I'm not sure if that's because the bike is about 6kg lighter or because I run out of gears quicker and get forced to ride harder up them unless I want to start walking lol

carbon fork seems to absorb most the rough stuff superbly as well much better than my crappy heavy suspension fork did :eek:

Still feels really weird trying to ride out of the saddle, most my upper body ends up over the bars unless I hang my ass back a bit.
is this normal?

Can't say the bike really feels too small though apart from when I stand up on it.

Caporegime
Imo yes, I'd completely discounted Shimano equipped bikes after trying 105 but Ultegra is utterly lovely. This looks like a bit of a bargain though and the frames comfy though not overly stiff and current Tiagra is basically rebranded 105 anyway. It'd also leave enough in the budget for some nice wheels/tyres to use at the weekend.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/r...dition?part=SE14RIBEVOPROSUMMER&sub=conf_SERW

The only thing current Tiagra doesn't have that 105 does is under tape gear cable routing.

In related news, the paint is rubbing off my headtube where the gear cables run :mad:

Associate
Just did my first proper ride on my new bike 36miles :D
I don't really ache at all like I feared I would and the only thing I've adjusted is the saddle height, I suspect I need the saddle slightly forwards though.

my average speed was slow as ever thanks to dog walkers and other cyclists etc taking advantage of the sunshine but I did get 16 personal best times on segments without really trying to.

slightly faster up the steep hills towards the end of my ride but I'm not sure if that's because the bike is about 6kg lighter or because I run out of gears quicker and get forced to ride harder up them unless I want to start walking lol

carbon fork seems to absorb most the rough stuff superbly as well much better than my crappy heavy suspension fork did :eek:

Still feels really weird trying to ride out of the saddle, most my upper body ends up over the bars unless I hang my ass back a bit.
is this normal?

Can't say the bike really feels too small though apart from when I stand up on it.

First thing I notice is the KOM, then I realise you're the only one on the leaderboard :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom