Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
First thing I notice is the KOM, then I realise you're the only one on the leaderboard :p

lol yea not my fault no one else rides up through that park though :D
Gained almost a minute over my best time on that kom so :D
1 6 Jun 2014 2:43 6.6mi/h
2 27 May 2014 3:39 4.9mi/h
my legs are already dead from the climb up to that park and then that park isn't flat either or the road I have to go up after it :mad:

That park is directly after that road you tried to climb one time and gave up on half way up it btw ;)

Associate
That park is directly after that road you tried to climb one time and gave up on half way up it btw ;)

Thought it might be. Reckon I might be able to get up it now, I've been up some horrifically steep bits of road. Then again it might be steeper than I remember it lol

Think my average went up by at least 2mph switching from the cycle paths to the road, shows just how much dog walkers etc slow you down.

Caporegime
Thought it might be. Reckon I might be able to get up it now, I've been up some horrifically steep bits of road. Then again it might be steeper than I remember it lol

Think my average went up by at least 2mph switching from the cycle paths to the road, shows just how much dog walkers etc slow you down.

I take a side road to avoid the majority of it but it's still not exactly flat
http://www.strava.com/segments/7317888
You should do it and then go up through elswick park you can probably get 2 easy KOM's maybe 3 because someone else has a shorter version of the segment I created

Soldato
Ideally both. Leg warmers are great for cool days or those days when the weather might change because it's easy to stop and put them on or take them off. Proper winter tights for really cold days though.

Thanks, will get leg warmers for now and then when the cold sets in I will get some proper winter tights.

Soldato
Ridiculous. The seller is at best an idiot and at worst a thief. The buyer is also a berk for buying a TT bike to commute on.

That's a bit harsh?
It was well underpriced but the seller has the receipt so obviously knows the value of it. Maybe just wanted a quick sale? Maybe the second-hand market in Switzerland is just like that?

The buyer openly admits to not knowing much about bikes, but he's hardly an idiot. Would you have passed up on a bike like that just because you had no real use for it? I would certainly have bought it.

Caporegime
That's a bit harsh?
It was well underpriced but the seller has the receipt so obviously knows the value of it. Maybe just wanted a quick sale? Maybe the second-hand market in Switzerland is just like that?

The buyer openly admits to not knowing much about bikes, but he's hardly an idiot. Would you have passed up on a bike like that just because you had no real use for it? I would certainly have bought it.

I'd buy it and TT on it. Or flip it and buy a bike to commute on. It doesn't strike me as eminently suitable for commuting on...

Soldato
It doesn't strike me as eminently suitable for commuting on...

I agree, it's not the best bike for commuting on. I still cant work out why you think he's a 'berk' though. Being a non-cyclist, he's probably having great fun on a bike like that. It'll be hugely faster than anything he's ridden before. He can ride it for a couple of weeks until he gets bored of commuting on it, then sell it on and buy a proper bike to commute on and still make his money back 10-fold.
He was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, but he was still smart enough to not let the opportunity pass him by.

Associate
He said the guy he bought it from got the bike from wiggle. A printed invoice like that would be even easier to fake than an invoice from a shop as everyone has A4 paper sitting around.

It may well be an amazing bargain, if the guy has more money than sense he isn't going to miss a few k to get rid of the bike. But equally, I won't be surprised if the police eventually catch up to him.

Associate
Decided to do a steady 'recovery' ride this evening while the weather was looking good and my legs were still feeling the effects of my last run.

Too nice an evening to miss especially as tomorrow's forecast isn't so good and would give me a rest day before either our Sunday long club ride or taking the plunge (and climbs) with the Evans Wales Sportive....

http://www.strava.com/activities/150206745

Felt quite windy but the average didn't seem to suffer for it :)

Associate
That's a bit harsh?

I wouldn't have bought it because the only logical reason for it being so cheap is it's hot. It's hardly difficult to knock up an invoice either. The very fact that so many people won't even question a deal is why so many bikes are stolen, they're very easy to move on. I was offered a brand new Meta AM at a quarter of rrp through a friend of a friend and turned it down. I later found out it'd been bought with a stolen credit card and passed on to him to pay off a debt.

Caporegime
Ah, hadn't paid attention to the time involved, fair enough. The thread just said he couldn't return it as he'd bought it from wiggle, which in isolation makes no sense, unless he's had it so long that no one would take it back anyway.

Associate
So anyone here doing the dragon ride on Sunday? Just prepped my bike for it tonight before I head to Wales tomorrow. Can't say I'm not nervous about it - not entirely sure how I will take the climbs what with there not being anything similar around London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom