At what age am I allowed my own space?

Associate
This is a rant however I like to think it has a little more to it than the usual. Basically I lived in my house for 12 years growing up then took a gap year in London, my Mum then moved out my sister moved in. The gap year was great for learning however I was unhappy everywhere else, the house share I lived in had an awful landlord who lived in and I never felt at home there. After the gap year I started uni and lived in halls, which generally ****ed me off, disgusting kitchen, bathroom etc. Over these couple of years I suffered from depression and sought help through uni and I'm generally okay now. This year I'm going to have to live in another flat share which I'm hugely dreading so I tell people this who are interested in how my uni is going. I don't expect anything from them however their only consolation is that I'm young and I'm meant to live in **** for a while. SO I ask thee, what is the right time in life to be happy?

Please just ignore if you think the above is ridiculous.

Soldato
oku3r4.jpg

Caporegime
Never. You live in the UK, you have to get used to being lived under and over by everyone and their mother. Want your own space? Move to another country with a much lower population density.

If you want your own space then get a job and your own house.

You have had a gap year and are currently at uni. I know many who would have loved such an opportunity.

No reason why a uni house should be disgusting.

Unfortunately that is the nature of rental housing stock in the UK (and especially most housing people can rent as students)... The GF mentioned to me recently that she was shocked by the standard of rental property in the UK compared to Europe and North America, having lived in both most of her life. It's a common complaint I hear from international friends that have live/lived in the UK.

Soldato
I'm in my early 30's and have had 'my own space' for few years now. I can tell you now when you can afford your own space there will other things in your life that will drag you down. Having space isn't the rpute to happiness I'm afriad.

I watched Office Space last night the character of Peter is one I most definitely relate to.

Last edited:
Caporegime
but he is of the newer generations with a sense of entitlement that must have it now all of it.
god forbid he should have to work hard in life and earn the trappings of success

While that is true in many situations it doesn't take into account the huge increase in house price to income ratio over even the last 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom