Aggressive small dogs

Soldato
Yes I can.
Whether they thought they had cause for concern by merely being in the vicinity of a dog is down to them.

ED:
Hang on...

Xordium said:
Because I don't know your dog as well as you do how do you expect me to trust it around eg young children or people who are rightly scared of dogs. Likewise I don't know you either so why should I trust your judgement?
Xordium said:
On the contrary, I love dogs. I love most animals in fact. I just don't agree with a lot of the what dog owners do.

So which is it? You love dogs, yet you believe people should be rightly scared of them and I assume that also means you are scared of them?
If that's the case, you're having a laugh if you think you're presenting a balanced argument here.

To answer your question, I don't expect anything from you as I don't force my dog upon other people or their kids, nor does she just run up to them at random.
If somebody wants to let their child play with my dog (as they often do), then it isn't a problem and she'll happily drop her ball for whoever wants to throw it for her.

Last edited:
Soldato
Top tip: you see that second quote of mine there - I never said that was BuffetSlayer.

And we are supposed to trust your judgement. Case closed your judgement sucks. So I am having a laugh ... at you ... because you just made yourself look really stupid.

Soldato
Ah, it's the small victories eh.

Well done on being petty and up your own arse :)

Are you small like a snappy small dog? You seem quite passive aggressive. You could have just said oops yes but you didn't and we have to trust your judgement? Your judgement seems very poor to me.

Soldato
Oh dear, you really think that mistaking a couple of posts from two people who are saying much the same thing really means that your argument is won and somehow reflects on my ability to use good judgement with my own dog? Really?

You really would have to be petty and up your own arse if you think that's gonna fly.

How are you enjoying that passive aggressive thing btw?
Oh, and again, are you scared of dogs?

Last edited:
Soldato
And we are supposed to trust your judgement. Case closed your judgement sucks.
we have to trust your judgement? Your judgement seems very poor to me.

Do you drive?
Or are you also too afraid/concerned to trust the potentially poor judgement of each and every driver out there?

This is a nation of dog-owners and that's not changing any time soon. So while the public highways and certain public places do often (but not always) require dogs to be on leads, 25% of UK households will have to be trusted to behave responsibly and keep both their dogs and other people playing nicely.

For those that don't, there is the full weight of the law, but it's no different than trusting Beemer Boy to stay in his lane, or indicate a few seconds before he changes.
As the fact that I still breathe testifies - Most people are responsible.

Soldato
Do you drive?
Or are you also too afraid/concerned to trust the potentially poor judgement of each and every driver out there?

This is a nation of dog-owners and that's not changing any time soon. So while the public highways and certain public places do often (but not always) require dogs to be on leads, 25% of UK households will have to be trusted to behave responsibly and keep both their dogs and other people playing nicely.

For those that don't, there is the full weight of the law, but it's no different than trusting Beemer Boy to stay in his lane, or indicate a few seconds before he changes.
As the fact that I still breathe testifies - Most people are responsible.

The difference is car drivers have to pass a test. They have to hold a license and they have to be insured in order to compensate any 3rd parties they may crash into causing vehicle damage, injury or death. Similarly as a driver you are just as protected as the majority of other car drivers by car safety systems, crumple zones, air bags and suchlike.

A more realistic comparison is car drivers vs pedestrians. Pedestrians take priority because the car driver presents the highest risk. The same is true of dog owners vs general public in public places. The onus is on dog owners to take responsibility for the risk they present to a situation. They are duty bound in the same way a car driver is in relation to pedestrians.

A car has brakes, ABS and lights. But a driver isn't going to go speeding through a 30 zone. Why? Risk management. Whilst it may be a quiet road 99% of the time there may be a person or animal that could run out and the driver has to mitigate that risk because they are introducing a dangerous element into the environment. Same goes for a person with a dog in the park or street.

Soldato

If you mean do I look when I cross at a pedestrian crossing knowing that in my lifetime I have seen quite a few drivers ignore my right of way then yes I always think it makes sense to look both ways even when the green man is flashing. I teach my children to do this too.

How you are equating that with dogs being off a lead is puzzling but I see BuffetSlayer has already pointed that out and save me the time.

This is a nation of dog-owners

No it's not. There are more non-dog owners than dog-owners so that is wrong.

Soldato
Oh dear, you really think that mistaking a couple of posts from two people who are saying much the same thing really means that your argument is won and somehow reflects on my ability to use good judgement with my own dog? Really?

Actually it does because you are arguing your judgement is foolproof when quite clearly like every other human you do make mistakes.

You really would have to be petty and up your own arse if you think that's gonna fly.

Hit a raw nerve have we?

Oh, and again, are you scared of dogs?

No, but I have a degree of empathy for people who do. Seems like you do not.

Soldato
They have to hold a license
The UK did have a dog license at one stage... Dunno why they got rid of it, really.

But a driver isn't going to go speeding through a 30 zone.
A driver isn't *supposed* to, no... A driver is never supposed to speed ever... 17 million of them in 2013 still did, though.
What sound judgement they had, eh!!

The onus is on dog owners to take responsibility for the risk they present to a situation.
Yes and where a dog can be let off lead responsibly, it should be free to do so. Many dogs can and are loose in public places.
But equally, humans are supposed to recognise antagonising/threatening/upsetting animals is generally a stupid thing to do... yet a surprising number of those occasions where it turns out bad gets blamed on the dog/owner instead of the kid that was throwing stones at it, or whatever.
Drivers aren't supposed to go speeding past horses, honking their horns and revving their engines, yet I see that happen an awful lot too...

I'm on both sides of the fence.
There are a lot of people who don't understand the responsibilities of owning a dog and even those who get one for all the wrong reasons (particularly status dogs), but there are also plenty of non-owners who don't understand that it's a dog and should be treated as such.
Back when I was a kid, when we did some of the things modern day 'victims' do, we were ridiculed and told, "Of course it bit you, you pillock - it's a dog!!".

If you mean do I look when I cross at a pedestrian crossing
No, I simply mean do you, under any circumstances, trust other people to have good judgement and not do anything to harm, or by omission of action allow harm to come to, you?

No it's not. There are more non-dog owners than dog-owners so that is wrong.
*sigh*.....
It's a figure of speech. The UK has always been famous for having one of the highest percentages of dog ownership in the world...
Cor, you really are in a pedantic mood tonight, aren't you?

Caporegime
Mostly correct... However, some owners don't know trouble when it's staring them in the face and the dog is telling them too!!

There have been a fair few instances where a dog has defended the owner, who was actually being attacked/mugged/robbed/etc and yet the dog is still put down.

source?

Then again, a burglar can break into your house, trip over your coffee table and then sue YOU for damages, so....

no, thats just Bull**** you scraped out from between your ears and mashed into the keyboard with your brain dead face.

Soldato
Err... life?
Do you not read the papers, or anything?

We had one just up our way about a year ago, where I know the owner reasonably well. Typical bunch of 'yoof' were hassling a lone young woman walking her White GSD in Palmer Park one evening. One of the five tries to take her handbag and when she resists, two others throw her to the ground. Dog kicks off, one Yoof gets a ventilated calf muscle, the others rapidly vanish. Dog deemed dangerous and put down.

no, thats just Bull**** you scraped out from between your ears and mashed into the keyboard with your brain dead face.
Never heard of the Human Rights Act, then?
'cause that's exactly what they sue you under, or your home insurance company if you have one. You still have a duty of care to trespassers, which a burglar is classified as.

http://overlawyered.com/2011/02/uk-shed-owners-warned-wire-on-windows-could-hurt-burglars/

Insurance companies are even advising on it: http://www.confused.com/home-insurance/archive/burglars-suing-homeowners-how-home-insurance-can-help

Even the cops are at it:
http://overlawyered.com/2013/04/u-k-policewoman-sues-man-called-999/

UK: “£500,000 for youth injured in fall while trespassing”
by Walter Olson on March 22, 2005

Carl Murphy, 18, of Merseyside, England, has received £567,000 for injuries sustained while criminally trespassing on the roof of a private warehouse in 1996, from which he fell 40 feet, sustaining multiple injuries. Murphy, who has convictions for robbery, burglary and assault, “received his compensation after suing the company that owned the warehouse. He claimed that if the perimeter fence had not been in disrepair he would not have been able to gain entry and suffer his injuries.” Although groups representing victims of crime expressed anger at his getting a sum 50 times higher than a murder victim’s family could expect to receive from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, Murphy was unapologetic about his windfall, saying he planned to buy “a few houses and a flash car”: “This money is mine now and I’ll do what I want.” Murphy “was expelled from two schools in just over two years after his recovery and his family blamed the fall for his bad behaviour.” And more: “His mother, Diane, and her partner, Kevin Parsons, both 36, are currently serving three years in prison for setting up a heroin and crack cocaine business from their council house.”

Soldato
I have a little small dog... Pomapoo/Cairn Terrier cross and he's the most delightful little **** you've ever met. He gets big man syndrome and barks at animals on TV (he especially hates horses) and people and things beyond the fence etc., but with other dogs out in the big wide world he's just playful to the max, rough and tumble but never aggressive.

If he gets worked up, like with tonight's thunder you can egg him on and start going wild and he just goes beyond the energy threshold and reverts to "lick mode", where just wildly licks everything that gets within range, so he'll lick the head straight off your shoulders if you let him.

He's brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom