What games first got you into PC gaming ?

Associate
I started computer gaming with the ZX81, and moved from there to a C64. But my first PC gaming memories are from an old IBM 8086 PS/2, and I remember playing Zork and Leather Godesses of Phobos between doing university work.

It wasn't until Monkey Island came out that I really thought that a PC could be a convincing games machine. I was really sold by MechWarrior, X-Wing, and Doom.

Associate
I remember the ZX81, damn that was years ago. Remebering a game where you had to control a large foot stamping on spiders and whatnot, bug splat? Also remembering the magazines you used to buy with the game code written in so you would type it in and get your game, pre cover mounted media!

Associate
I remember the ZX81, damn that was years ago. Remebering a game where you had to control a large foot stamping on spiders and whatnot, bug splat? Also remembering the magazines you used to buy with the game code written in so you would type it in and get your game, pre cover mounted media!

And then the damned RAM pack would drop out the back of the thing, and lose all your hours of typing. Still have very fond memories of 3D Monster Maze.

Associate
Ram Pack, Yep remember that. 3D monster maze, class game!
Also on the Spectrum you had to be careful with the Peak and Poke commands as iirc you could over heat the unit and kill it!

Spectrum 16/48k games like "Horace goes Skiing", "ATIC ATAC", "Trans AM" etc.

Cookie was a class game. Jetpac was superb. Chuckie Egg was my favorite.

Last edited:
Soldato
Half-life

I didn’t even play games but I had to install them for my brother on our dad’s PC and play around with the settings to get it working, I think it was on OpenGL. Black screen, ‘is it working?’ The train ride Black Mesa Inbound. Down the rabbit hole. Still there...

Soldato
Oh yeah just remembered playing Prehistorik (by Titus?), must have been very nearly 90s. Pretty generic platformer that involved playing a stoneage dude and clubbing dinosaurs to death.

Back
Top Bottom