The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
And what fanboy comments have been made exactly?:confused:
You are deluding yourself again. No one is fighting over any gear or companies! No one is badmouthing companies or peoples choices. Ridiculous unfounded accusation.

people discuss hardware relating to photography, the photography business and economics, the future of cameras etc, exactly as intended by the forum. If you don't want to discuss photography equipment then this obviously isn't the place for you!

no you are deluding yourself as every argument seems to be centered around you.

You call discussing of gear when people argue with eachother like kids on how product A is better then Product B?

Thats what fanboys do. defend a product and argue against others as inferior junk

Caporegime
no you are deluding yourself as every argument seems to be centered around you.

You call discussing of gear when people argue with eachother like kids on how product A is better then Product B?

Thats what fanboys do. defend a product and argue against others as inferior junk

And where exactly is this occurring, because it certainly isn't occurring here.
Can you show any examples?

As for arguing, you seem to think that a discussion can't contain conflicting points of view and opinions. If every discussion involved everyone agreeing there would be nothing to discuss!

Of course people are arguing, because people have different opinions, and that is what makes this place interesting. As long as the arguments are backed by evidence and experience, and are not personal attacks then there is no issue. You don't see anyone calling people names or personal attacks, you don't see anyone saying their hardware is useless or stupid.

You come into this thread making such accusation when the topics of discussion was the future of camera equipment and whether Nikon and Canon will go mirrorless or not. Where exactly have you drawn your conclusions from that this is a fanboy war? No personal attacks have ensured, no companies have been unfairly branded as terrible, no ones hardware choices have been ridiculed. It is a perfectly harmless heated discussion on where we see technology going. People have presented facts and opinions form all sides of the debate.

Before that people were discussing the use of filters, presenting evidence why they do or do not use them. Again, no was was insulted, no one was ridiculed for using/not using a filter.

These are both completely off topic discussion to this thread, but then this thread is one of the most stupid in the forum (one bug willy waving contest as the title says). We could litter the forum with these threads but I actual like the fact they are contained in one place so other things like peoples photo threads are more prominent.

I'm sorry if these kinds of discussion upset you. I love technology, I'm a self confessed nerd. I love discussing gear, but I am not a gear head and keep my kit fairly modest. I also love the artistic side to photography, I just don't see the internet as a viable place for that. I much prefer to invite friends over for dinner and give a slide show of my recent work, or discuss with clients, or watch my photo sales.

Soldato
At the end of the day debating about gear in this thread was way off topic and caused arguments and thats my main grip.

in TP people debate but dont go into any arguments. They have a nice healthy debate but in here it doesnt.

As soon as someone starts saying product A is inferior to Product B it causes people to moan and argue.

Its not good.

I like gear myself but it doesnt matter when it comes to Photography.

They are tools to do a particular job at hand and people arguing and debatingover tools is childish IMO.

Do you see builders moaning in a forum on how the Hammer they use is inferior to the Hammer another bloke uses?

Nope they dont.

They get on with the job not caring and lusting over a hammer/camera gear.

They buy a hammer/camera thats ideal for the task at hand.

Associate
...I much prefer to invite friends over for dinner and give a slide show of my recent work....

I bet they are thrilled ;) ... it was a dark-dark day when my uncle visited with his lastest slide collection :D

Very much joking BTW...

Anyway, can we see some sexy cameras and lenses please?

Soldato
10546554_703382419729373_183795228_n.jpg

Have a low quality photo of my new toy, having it's firmware upgraded.

Caporegime
If I lived closer to some large mammals I would be super tempted to buy a decent quad for photography. I would love to fly it into a heard of bison or elk and get some very unique perspectives (or at least what required an actual helicopter).

The trouble is where I now live everything is super densely forested. You do get some deer and black bears are not too hard to find but it would be impossible to fly in a forest.

Some friends of mine run a start up selling small UAVs that can autonomous make high resolution 3D textured models by flying around and recording hundred of photos from different angles and do clever stitching and image correspondence off line.

Soldato
Yes, I was looking at some photos stitched, last night. There was an utterly HUGE one of a forest area.

I've finally found the course on the CAA site and it's £60. Oddly though the same site I read last week www.caa.co.uk that said the qualification is what you need, now says that you need permission, so I'm now confused as to what exactly they expect of you. The qualification (1st part, ground specific), or a combination of the qualification AND their permission.

I'm just in the middle of looking for no fly zones in the UK. For the US there are lots of helpful maps, etc, but it seems the UK are slow adopters, as usual!

Sadly this area is getting more and more built up and the council are actively trying to sell off more ground for housing, but there is a lot of mountain space just outside here, so plenty to look at. I was thinking of going to the local police station to see if they'd let me film around that before they pull it down later this year. I imagine they'd insist on this qualification first, even if they did let me after they'd moved!

Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow with it for the first time!

Caporegime
Haven't they banned these in the national parks in the US?

No idea but it is easy to find herding bison and elk outside national parks, as well as bears, deer, coyotes etc that would all lead to interesting and unsual photography.

Soldato
No idea but it is easy to find herding bison and elk outside national parks, as well as bears, deer, coyotes etc that would all lead to interesting and unsual photography.

I was searching for the uav, dji, etc, hashtags on facebook over the last few days and it seems there is a very good use for UAVs in anti poaching, and other wildlife ventures. Finally positive press is winning over the naysayers :)

Soldato
At the end of the day debating about gear in this thread was way off topic and caused arguments and thats my main grip.

in TP people debate but dont go into any arguments. They have a nice healthy debate but in here it doesnt.

As soon as someone starts saying product A is inferior to Product B it causes people to moan and argue.

Its not good.

I like gear myself but it doesnt matter when it comes to Photography.

They are tools to do a particular job at hand and people arguing and debatingover tools is childish IMO.

Do you see builders moaning in a forum on how the Hammer they use is inferior to the Hammer another bloke uses?

Nope they dont.

They get on with the job not caring and lusting over a hammer/camera gear.

They buy a hammer/camera thats ideal for the task at hand.

I don't know why you keep saying it never happens over on TP, the D810 thread is one of the latest. Other threads also get moderated for non gear related issues...

Soldato
I don't know why you keep saying it never happens over on TP, the D810 thread is one of the latest. Other threads also get moderated for non gear related issues...

Not wanting to derail this thread again, but it's true. There are some absolutely astonishingly rude and idiotic people on TP that go out of their way to argue, rather than constructively discuss things. There are a lot that have the mindset that because their favourite photographer does something, everyone else is wrong. And on that basis, if you disagree you'll get 5 people telling you you're wrong without providing evidence, and when you yourself provide evidence, they'll then ignore that and take issue with wording you used to argue about that, and not talking about the actual subject anymore as they've been proven wrong. There is even one bloke on there that is an advertiser, and he seems to get away with causing massive amounts of trouble, and has an amazing lack of respect for anyone. Personally I hope his business goes under so he vanishes, he's such a tool.

But anyway, gear! UAVs! WOO! :D

Back
Top Bottom