To those of you with a 'weekend' car

Associate
I'll do a thread sometime but here is one for you (seeing as you asked).;)

*snip*

545BHP/tonne supercharged madness. Go large, or go home. :cool:

I've seen a few on trackdays and absolutely love the total crazyness of them, that and I get lapped pretty rapidly by them! They are an expensive way into 'kit car' style cars but look absolutely brilliant!

Associate
I agree Atoms are expensive to buy but they aren't kit cars.

The issue with a kit car is always support, build quality and reliability etc.

Atoms are high quality, reliable, factory build, limited edition, high specification, sports / track day cars.

They look like kit cars but they are not the same. I totally get your comment tho.:)

They also retain their value very well with very low depreciation.

If you want the ultimate performance (barring aero) then Atom is the way to go unless you are utterly minted. It is almost impossible to go faster for less money.

AND they are utterly crazy!:eek: :D :cool:

Man of Honour
I love it! I had a ride in a non V8 one and it was absolutely mad. I can imagine the full fat version being incredible!

I watched Chris Harris review it saying it wasn't that good handling wise as it was too stiff and couldn't get the power down - would you agree with that?

Associate
I agree Atoms are expensive to buy but they aren't kit cars.

Atoms are high quality, reliable, factory build, limited edition, high specification, sports / track day cars.

They look like kit cars but they are not the same. I totally get your comment tho.:)

They also retain their value very well with very low depreciation.

If you want the ultimate performance (barring aero) then Atom is the way to go unless you are utterly minted. It is almost impossible to go faster for less money.

AND they are utterly crazy!:eek: :D :cool:

Yeah I didn't want to belittle an Atom by calling it a kit car but its hard to know exactly what category to use other than 'bats*** crazy'!

Totally agree on the depreciation, they seem to hold their value ridiculously well - surprising as most people who can afford such an item would be able to afford new so the 2nd hand market isn't usually as buoyant.

Associate
I love it! I had a ride in a non V8 one and it was absolutely mad. I can imagine the full fat version being incredible!

I watched Chris Harris review it saying it wasn't that good handling wise as it was too stiff and couldn't get the power down - would you agree with that?

Mine is not the V8 one, but it is the s/c version with 300BHP. That gives 545BHP/tonne not 545BHP total. ;)

I'm not suprised the v8 is hard to put the power down. 500BHP from a peaky bike type engine sounds tricky.

In my car traction is good in the dry due to mid engine layout, sticky tyres, and LSD. The engine delivery is also smooth and torquey until you hit vtec and it goes mental! LOL

In the wet you have to drive like a nun as there is WAAAAY too much power and the A048's are rubbish. It is kinda amusing but sitting there in the rain is never going to be "fun".:(

If you don't think about what your doing, feeling for the grip, and apply too much throttle mid bend it will spin, and its very hard to catch. It also does NOT like un-even road surfaces. Nothing suprising really but it has caught me out before. Basically it is VERY fast and demands a careful measured approach untill you get it straightened up on some smooth tramac exiting a corner. Very unlike say a modern hot hatch where you can floor it in most scenarios. It handles beautifully tho and cornering speeds are high. It is fully adjustabke too so you can tailor it to your preferance.

Its a challenge and I LOVE it. I'd recomment one to anyone.

IMO the depreciation is low due to low volumes, reliability, good ownership experince and the value of the brand.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

My Westfield has been the most reliable car I've ever owned - but that's because I built it and didn't go mad on the engine spec - reliability over speed was a priority. It's done 18k miles in 5 years with just a few oil changes and nothing else and sailed through every MOT.

The support is great (24/7, 365 days a year and the chap always answers ;) ) and the build quality is also top notch - it's been done properly. I also have the benefit of if something does go wrong with it, I know how to fix it, without even needing a Haynes manual (not that there is one).

621683_4835653687984_681189957_o_zps666e20e2.jpg

I wouldn't like to buy someone elses though, unless I personally knew them and was aware of how the build was completed. I wouldn't even buy a factory built Westfield.

I would love an Atom though, but I couldn't justify the cost and for the money there'd be other cars I'd choose.

@ OCPete - how many rose joints and rear bearings have you gone though? My best freind had an Atom for 4 years and went through two sets of rose joints @ £1200 a pop and three rear wheel bearings @ £300 a pop. He was doing failrly high miles for an Atom though (about 5k a year) and a bit of track work (four or five sessions a year). I purposely avoided the rose joint upgrade on my Westfield due to thier accelerated wear rate. He PX'd the Airel for a Noble M400 last year - although that's been no cheaper to run!

10580840_10203156287881360_3540036839487260168_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Nice westy. I even like the colour-scheme! :cool:

What engine spec you running?

You hit the nail on the head with reliability. Your self build gave you reliability. ALL Atoms are reliable as the factory are spot on with the work they do. It is absolutely critical to the ownership experience. Well done for getting the same benefit at a cheaper price point, but i'm not as good with a spanner. So it wasn't an option for me.

Rose joints are a consumable on an Atom. I've had a one replaced already (done 4kmiles). If I get a few per year i'll be happy. Not too bad IMO.

The price you quote would be for all of them to be replaced for the entire suspension setup for all 4 wheels. Thats something you will not have to do often unless you don't clean / store the car correctly.

They fail as they get wet and lose lubrication and wear. You are supposed to grease them (which reminds me. LOL).

In comparison to other cars of similar performance the odd rose joint etc is nothing serious. The engine is strong and there is little else to go wrong. Its all relative. Having had other cars i know seemingly little things can easily cost you thousands. Most of these are not even applicable to an Atom as they are not even fitted. Its all simple mechanicals and the reliable engine. Add to that cheap servicing at the factory its not costly to run. It is also light on brakes and the clutches last well too. Tyres last as long as you want. If you drive like a loon the rears wear fast but they are cheap to replace.

If you just drive on road i reckon they are cheap to run. If you hoon on track it will cost more but then all cars do as everything takes a hammering.

I'm happy, and it looks you are too. Windscreens & roofs are for girls! :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nice westy. I even like the colour-scheme! :cool:

What engine spec you running?

Just a good old Pinto :)

filter.jpg

Spec is:-

205 block
ARP head studs,
+1 size inlet valves, 3 angled seats, std size exhaust valves.
Bored to 2093cc
Piper OHC 134 high torque cam
Suzuki GSXR throttle bodies controlled by Megasquirt v3 MSnS ecu

Pulls 180 but has 170lb/ft of torque due to the cam - basically you can country lane it and leave it in 4th gear all the time :) So driveable.

You hit the nail on the head with reliability. Your self build gave you reliability. ALL Atoms are reliable as the factory are spot on with the work they do. It is absolutely critical to the ownership experience. Well done for getting the same benefit at a cheaper price point, but i'm not as good with a spanner. So it wasn't an option for me.

Yeah - and even then there are things I'd do differently 2nd time around. Wiring behind the dash for example, it's all proper connected, terminated, fused and relayed but it's a bit of a birds nest. If I did it again I'd be a bit more methodical with the order of wiring and labelling everything. It didn't help that I didn't want to use the rubbish duralite switches so had to adapt the loom to use the fancy Savage switches.

Rose joints are a consumable on an Atom. I've had a one replaced already (done 4kmiles). If I get a few per year i'll be happy. Not too bad IMO.

The price you quote would be for all of them to be replaced for the entire suspension setup for all 4 wheels. Thats something you will not have to do often unless you don't clean / store the car correctly.

They fail as they get wet and lose lubrication and wear. You are supposed to grease them (which reminds me. LOL).

Oh yeah - my friend went in fully knowing the ownership costs - at teh end of the day it's not a Fiesta and it uses high performance parts so those parts wear quicker and are more expensive to replace - just par for the course of Atom ownership :)

In comparison to other cars of similar performance the odd rose joint etc is nothing serious. The engine is strong and there is little else to go wrong. Its all relative. Having had other cars i know seemingly little things can easily cost you thousands. Most of these are not even applicable to an Atom as they are not even fitted. Its all simple mechanicals and the reliable engine. Add to that cheap servicing at the factory its not costly to run. It is also light on brakes and the clutches last well too. Tyres last as long as you want. If you drive like a loon the rears wear fast but they are cheap to replace.

Considering the ragging he gave it all the time the reliability was remarkble - nothing broke or failed - items just simply wore out. What we were impressed with was it's track "resistance" - other cars would have to pull in after 4/5 laps - even high perf cars like Ferraris, GTR's and Porches due to getting hot but the Atom just sucked the laps up without even flinching - and on the track there was very little that could keep up with it (even though he couldn't get past me on the short, twisty tracks - ones with a decent straight he flew by though!

I'm happy, and it looks you are too. Windscreens & roofs are for girls! :D

Absolutely - enjoy what remains of the summer and especially those rare but glorious crisp winter days :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime

I was at Bedford a while back and about 15 Atoms were there. Not a single one seemed to have decent traction or looked particularly planted, they were all a bit skittish and 'lively'.

Not a single person either driving them or passengering them got out without the worlds biggest grin on though, so they are doing something right :D

Soldato
I was at Bedford a while back and about 15 Atoms were there. Not a single one seemed to have decent traction or looked particularly planted, they were all a bit skittish and 'lively'.

Not a single person either driving them or passengering them got out without the worlds biggest grin on though, so they are doing something right :D

Funny you should say that - I was at Bedford last week and experienced exactly the same thing. It was almost as if they were going off at every corner, even when they weren't entering it a lot quicker than me. Credit to them though, they kept pushing hard. :D

Man of Honour
I think a weekend car has to be really special and frankly a fast saloon (for me) simply isn't special enough. M cars, RS Audis, AMG Mercs and suchlike, for me at least, are not special enough for weekend cars and is why I have used such cars as daily cars. I think the Atom above and Westfield thingy are ideal weekend cars and actually a GT3/RS is also another as most people would never put up with one daily.....unless you're an idiot like me.

Associate
I run a land rover defender as a fun/weekend car. Its got all the kit for off road and looks like a tonka toy, its even a soft top! I go off roading in it once a month or so and it doubles as a tip run vehicle and is obviously fantastic in the winter, the snow is never high enough!

Not bothered about speed as my daily is an S5 v8 so fast enough and then wife has the family car.

Simples!

Soldato
I think a weekend car has to be really special and frankly a fast saloon (for me) simply isn't special enough. M cars, RS Audis, AMG Mercs and suchlike, for me at least, are not special enough for weekend cars and is why I have used such cars as daily cars. I think the Atom above and Westfield thingy are ideal weekend cars and actually a GT3/RS is also another as most people would never put up with one daily.....unless you're an idiot like me.

I think you're a bit more spoilt than me when it comes to cars, but you're probably older and richer than I :D

Problem with having an expensive fast saloon as your daily drive is that you desire EVEN MORE for a toy. That is usually expensive, dangerous, marriage-splitting territory.

If I retain my 330D xDrive for the full finance term, i'd want a ridiculous petrol convertible to compliment it, but the 330D delivers impressive figures already, so the bar is is already higher than most affordable sports cars (MX5, Elise etc). And, it sounds silly, but a Westfield or Caterham with a top speed around 100MPH doesn't appeal to me (even if the 0-60 figures are <5sec).

I'd probably aim for a TVR or Exige convertible... but would likely end up getting something like a Boxster Spyder or a Z4 35iS!

I do have a hankering for a Land Rover Defender too...

Back
Top Bottom