** NEW NVIDIA 9xx SERIES NOTEBOOKS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER FROM MSI!! **

Associate
Hey all

Just some replies :

These are the first wave off 980M - and when things like this launch we always try to put the highest spec out there. The 980M we provide comes with a 8GB GDD5 also - maybe overkill but it's the maximum we can put on.

Also with the GT72, we use the MXM technology so your GT72 is futureproof in terms of GPU.

More models will follow in the future for sure with different configurations, but as the initial quantities are so low, we have decided to make the specs quite high.

I understand some of you want something around £1800 and as with time, there will definitely be a model released around that. Initially, as we all know when something get's released, it's always at a premium. The Nvidia 9 series is the same.

3k panels we always get asked for so that's why we have got these with them on the GS60,.

4K panels will also be available soon. This is something that other brands have done, and people applauded it.

All feedback is taken aboard and fed back to HQ.

For now though, these are our options....and there is quite a decent selection on the 970M also.

Any more questions, fire away!

ARJiBEAR

Last edited:
Associate
Are overclockers going to be taking part in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZZ5hGDZpI8#t=743 ?

Will they sell kits or offer a service where you can get them to do it?

Yes they will be.

This is all being discussed and arranged.

OCUK will be able to do upgrades to your GT72 whilst not voiding your warranty.

It's a few months away - but will happen.

ARJiBEAR

Caporegime
Just read that many competitors are using the 6GB 970M version... so a good reason to avoid MSI if you want future-proofing, as these cards are surely fast enough to last the next 2 years.

3GB just won't cut it down the line.

Last edited:
Associate
Just read that many competitors are using the 6GB 970M version... so a good reason to avoid MSI if you want future-proofing, as these cards are surely fast enough to last the next 2 years.

3GB just won't cut it down the line.

Indeed the 3GB version is used on the 970M on the GS60 / GS70 versions.

On the GT60/70 & GT72 they will use the 6GB versions.

We also use the 8GB versions on our 980M.

You will see reviews of the 970M 3GB very soon, hopefully this will help convince you about the 3GB versions of the cards!

ARJiBEAR

Associate
Any news on cheaper models that may be released on the back of the new GPUs coming out? I understand you want to push the new models with new cards but for those of us that have a realistic budget this isn't really useful. I hope MSI doesn't forget the broader market of £800-£1000 buyers. I get a model won't be available for this price with the new hardware because that's just not practical but surely the release of new models would come with changes to older models and their prices?

Associate
Any news on cheaper models that may be released on the back of the new GPUs coming out? I understand you want to push the new models with new cards but for those of us that have a realistic budget this isn't really useful. I hope MSI doesn't forget the broader market of £800-£1000 buyers. I get a model won't be available for this price with the new hardware because that's just not practical but surely the release of new models would come with changes to older models and their prices?

Hi Barrel

We have not forgot that at all. The new models do not impact any 840/850/860M prices as they have not been replaced.

Still working on something with OCUK. Hopefully have something soon :)

ARJiBEAR

Soldato
Boooooooo!
I didn't realise the 870/880m was being replaced so soon. I had figured since it was what, 7 months old? it still had some life in it...Kinda wish I had waited, but then I would have probably killed myself with my old laptop by sandwiching my head inside it due it being so slow on autocad nowadays...

Stupid outdated gs60 2pe...it should feel shame, and turn into a 2qe...

Is the GS70 2QE really 1.96KG? if so, HOW? How can it possibly be the exact the same weight as the GS60 2QE, with the same components, and yet one is a bigger chassis/screen?

Associate
Boooooooo!
I didn't realise the 870/880m was being replaced so soon. I had figured since it was what, 7 months old? it still had some life in it...Kinda wish I had waited, but then I would have probably killed myself with my old laptop by sandwiching my head inside it due it being so slow on autocad nowadays...

Stupid outdated gs60 2pe...it should feel shame, and turn into a 2qe...

Is the GS70 2QE really 1.96KG? if so, HOW? How can it possibly be the exact the same weight as the GS60 2QE, with the same components, and yet one is a bigger chassis/screen?

Hey Ch3m

Your laptop is still GOOD! There is no need to panic because the new one is out. Tbh there is still allot of 7 series out now that still does the job very well.

:)

ARJiBEAR

Soldato
I know :p

The new models are out of my price range anyway, same spec with a 970 ~2-300 more. Which was too much anyway. Granted prices will drop in a few months once the tech isn't so new, but by then I wont be so annoyed.

Mine still looks super flash in the office, had two people ask me for laptop advice since I bought it, and they don't even know I am an also an IT guy, they just see the shiny and decide they need a new laptop.

Associate
I know :p

The new models are out of my price range anyway, same spec with a 970 ~2-300 more. Which was too much anyway. Granted prices will drop in a few months once the tech isn't so new, but by then I wont be so annoyed.

Mine still looks super flash in the office, had two people ask me for laptop advice since I bought it, and they don't even know I am an also an IT guy, they just see the shiny and decide they need a new laptop.

^^ That's cool

The GS range does look super cool!

Nvidia released 2 GPU upgrades in a year - so hopefully these will stick around for at least 1 year now :)

ARJiBEAR

Soldato
do you have an answer to the question about the weight of the gs70 2qe? the spec in this thread says its the same as the gs60 2qe, which would be some magical engineering if true, unless you have simply made the chassis thinner to account for it being wider or soemthing.

Associate
Disappointing to still see the same cpu in the GT72, would really expect 4810 or better to acompany the 980gtx, especially for a flagship model. I know the reason is the cpu being soldered to the mainboard and still having plenty of GT72 stock with 8 series gpus to shift, but still dissapointed.

Have £2k burning a hole in my pocket atm for the right laptop, the search continues.

Associate
Yes they will be.

This is all being discussed and arranged.

OCUK will be able to do upgrades to your GT72 whilst not voiding your warranty.

It's a few months away - but will happen.

ARJiBEAR

Any idea on cost for this please? Need to know if it's more cost effective to upgrade or send the current one back under 60 day policy and order a new one.

Back
Top Bottom