** NEW NVIDIA 9xx SERIES NOTEBOOKS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER FROM MSI!! **

Associate
Really disappointed that none of the displays have gsync. This is definitely a feature I'd be waiting for before dropping over 2k on a new Nvidia gaming laptop!

Soldato
Disappointing to still see the same cpu in the GT72, would really expect 4810 or better to acompany the 980gtx, especially for a flagship model. I know the reason is the cpu being soldered to the mainboard and still having plenty of GT72 stock with 8 series gpus to shift, but still dissapointed.

Have £2k burning a hole in my pocket atm for the right laptop, the search continues.

Wait the CPU on the top end gaming laptop is BGA rather than socketed?!

Associate
Any idea on cost for this please? Need to know if it's more cost effective to upgrade or send the current one back under 60 day policy and order a new one.

Hi Brok

There is no available cost as yet because the 9xx is not in ready supply.

We will know more when Nvidia have more available stock.

Regards

ARJiBEAR

Associate
Wait the CPU on the top end gaming laptop is BGA rather than socketed?!

Correct, sadly I think it is the way of things to come.

Have a look at the Asus G751JY.

Cheers mate, appreciate the heads up. We've got a pair of g750's atm with the better cpu and 8gb 880's however the screen is poor and a problem for me to work on and games like diablo 3 have problems with gpu switching back and forth willy nilly. Not sure how the g751 compares to the g750 but the gt72 solved both of the issues with the g750, will go have a look.

Soldato
Correct, sadly I think it is the way of things to come.

:o

It makes sense for the GS range due to space (every MM counts) but for the GT72 model it makes no sense at all given that all of its direct competitors will be using LGA based CPU's (and thus are upgradable by the enthusiast community - which is pretty strong in this market).

Looks like I will be upgrading the CPU & GPU in my Clevo rather than bothering with a new laptop after all.

Associate
The G751 has an IPS screnen.

So I discovered earlier, sounding like we may have a winner.

:o

It makes sense for the GS range due to space (every MM counts) but for the GT72 model it makes no sense at all given that all of its direct competitors will be using LGA based CPU's (and thus are upgradable by the enthusiast community - which is pretty strong in this market).

Looks like I will be upgrading the CPU & GPU in my Clevo rather than bothering with a new laptop after all.

Preaching to the choir my friend, I very much agree.

Associate
Hi Arjibear

am interested in the gt72. Is it possible to get 8 gb ram and upgrade something else?

Also when will gt72 get ips 1080p? How much will it cost?

Cheers.

Associate
So I discovered earlier, sounding like we may have a winner.

Preaching to the choir my friend, I very much agree.

Hey Fars

LGA CPU's are being made a compulsory thing, so I think they have been made it with MSI for the GT72.

The GS models will come with 6GB 970s around the end of November I am being told.

Of course, some things do not please some people, so all I can really do is tell you what I know on this.

The GT72 is a very decent chassis, and the way it was designed was for longevity hence the GPU part being up gradable.

Hope this helps

ARJiBEAR

Associate
Hi Arjibear

am interested in the gt72. Is it possible to get 8 gb ram and upgrade something else?

Also when will gt72 get ips 1080p? How much will it cost?

Cheers.

Hi Delahmed

The GT72 can be upgraded to 32GB memory.

The HD configuration can also be changed.

The GT72 at the moment has no plans to change to an IPS screen.

Hope this helps!

ARJiBEAR

Associate
Is the difference between the MSI GT72 2QD 223 and the 228 just an ssd and the bluray player and £300? Not having a dig at the price difference btw just making sure before I order anything :)
So I can just add an SSD at a later date and upgrade to dominator pro spec as well if needed or are the chassis different on these?

Associate
Hey Fars

LGA CPU's are being made a compulsory thing, so I think they have been made it with MSI for the GT72.

The GS models will come with 6GB 970s around the end of November I am being told.

Of course, some things do not please some people, so all I can really do is tell you what I know on this.

The GT72 is a very decent chassis, and the way it was designed was for longevity hence the GPU part being up gradable.

Hope this helps

ARJiBEAR

Yup, that's what I was saying above. Lga is the direction intel is pushing, not much anyone can do about it for new hardware.

The gt72 I've used was indeed excellent, the cooling being second only to a g750 and the gt72 is less bulky too, they're both in a league of their own chassis wise.

Sadly it can have all the gpu upgrades it wants, but for me the cpu is the issue, i wasn't happy pairing a 880 gtx with a 4710 cpu part with better cpu options on the market, so you can imagine how I feel about pairing the frankly incredible 980gtx with the same cpu.

As I said, I understand why MSI did it, it was the fastest and most cost effective way of bringing the 980 gtx to market, when the gt72 gets a new mainboard with a better cpu I think you'll have a real winner in the top end gaming laptop market.

Associate
Hi everyone,

I'm very interested in the MSI GT72 2QD, the £1300 one, but am i bit confused by the lukewarm reception.

To me the specs are awsome for the price and not that different from the much more expensive 2QE but everyone seems to be dissapointed.

Can someone explain to me why i shouldnt buy the 2QD version and maybe recommend a better alternative for around the same price please as i'm obviously missing something.

Really tempted to buy one so i'd appreciate any help if i'm making a mistake.

Thanks

Bob

Associate
That £1300 seems good value. Everyone was moaning at the phenominal price the original selection was released at

Id put that one you are looking at ahead of gigabytes offerings personally, although what's swaying me is the offer of a 980 for a bit more. I cant afford any of msi's 980 offerings..

Associate
The GT72 chassis is very good, I have one of the few that came into stock with an 880m and have been more than happy with it. I may send it back under 60 day no quibble but not because i dont like it, just so I can get one with a 9xx series card in it :)

Associate
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear it wouldn't be a mistake to go for it.

Still confused why the £1300 (MSI GT72 2QD (Dominator)-223UK) one is so much cheaper than the £1600 one (MSI GT72 2QD (Dominator)-228UK), they seem almost identical.

Even the more expensive ones don't seem that different.

What am i missing?

Associate
So has anyone who preordered received theirs yet? I'm thinking of getting from ocuk as the product page says there's 9 ready as my other reseller choice(no delivery fee) is out of stock.

Back
Top Bottom