Polo 9N AWY 'check engine' light on

Caporegime
OP
Have driven another 50 miles or so since the light came on and everything still seems absolutely fine.

What cheap OBD reader would you recommend? I would just get a VAGCOM cable, but I don't actually have a laptop. :p

Soldato
Have driven another 50 miles or so since the light came on and everything still seems absolutely fine.

What cheap OBD reader would you recommend? I would just get a VAGCOM cable, but I don't actually have a laptop. :p

And they're stupidly expensive. Check clubpolo or any VAG group for guys in your area with VCDS or w/e it is.

Caporegime
OP
Super unleaded... you crack me up.

Really? What is the point in *not* using better quality fuel when it is only 3P more per litre? :confused:

It surely has to be marginally better for the fuel delivery & injection components, it costs about the same amount per mile because I get a few more miles out of a tank*, and to me, the engine feels slightly more plucky with less flat spots.

*I tested something like 8 tanks of regular 95 and 8 tanks of Momentum 99 doing the same runs to and from the same places and I got a consistant 2 - 3 MPG average advantage over 95 when using 99.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It makes no difference to cars not tuned to use it, I've been using supermarket fuel for over 20,000 miles with no problem. I did 1 tank of Super out of curiosity and the MPG was the same and the car drove the same. Running it on a 3cyl 1.2 6 valve engine is just utterly hilarious.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I tested something like 8 tanks of regular 95 and 8 tanks of Momentum 99 doing the same runs to and from the same places and I got a consistant 2 - 3 MPG average advantage over 95 when using 99.

I have all the figures noted down somewhere, will look for them when I get home if you want. :p

I was surprised by it as well. It might be something to do with the weird low power triple cylinder short-stroke engine in the Polo? Something knock sensor related? I don't know...

Caporegime
OP
Seems a little odd that each tank was consistently better... I don't know what exactly I would subconsciously change about my driving style if I know I have better fuel in the tank? :p

Man of Honour

Your car has illuminated a light telling you that there is some sort of engine fault. You don't yet know what this fault is, so your idea is just to... keep driving the car? Really?

Really? What is the point in *not* using better quality fuel when it is only 3P more per litre? :confused:

It's not 'better quality' per se, it's just a different specification, a specification that is of no use to your engine.

it costs about the same amount per mile because I get a few more miles out of a tank*, and to me, the engine feels slightly more plucky with less flat spots.

All placebo. It makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom