Returning unopened TV to Tesco without receipt

Soldato
Hi guys, have any of you had experience with returning an unopened TV (or similar item) to Tesco for a refund (in cash or vouchers), without having the receipt?

Before you ask, no it's not stolen (in fact I don't actually have it yet). Basically, I am morally corrupt, and am thinking of getting the current Tesco Direct deal of an LG TV + Xbone for £484, and plan on returning the TV only (TV RRP is £299, only want the Xbone, this deal makes it cheap).

What do you think are the chances of me getting full RRP refund?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've returned low value items (up to about £20 I guess) without a receipt before, I'm not sure it would wash with something worth £300 though. I expect they will want to see the receipt.

AJK

AJK

Associate

None whatsoever in my opinion.

If you order via Tesco Direct and try to return it in-store, they'll say "you must have a receipt/record/confirmation, we'll look it up in the system." If you try to claim you bought it in the store and have lost the receipt, they'll be well aware of the deal and will probably be prepared for the scam you're attempting... can't see you getting away with this...

Associate
No you will need proof of purchase so they can lookup the sale in their systems..

Plus you wont get full value back on the TV as its a package... they will more than likely refund the whole package then sell you the Xbox at full price..

Soldato
Hi guys, have any of you had experience with returning an unopened TV (or similar item) to Tesco for a refund (in cash or vouchers), without having the receipt?

Before you ask, no it's not stolen (in fact I don't actually have it yet). Basically, I am morally corrupt, and am thinking of getting the current Tesco Direct deal of an LG TV + Xbone for £484, and plan on returning the TV only (TV RRP is £299, only want the Xbone, this deal makes it cheap).

How did you pay for it? All you need to do is show them proof of purchase, so if you paid on a card, then show them a card statement with the value on it and they will have to offer you a refund.

Edit: Ah right, I just read the thread properly. If you do that, they'll realise it was a bundle as they'll match the receipt on their system, and they'll refund it all and then charge you for the rest separately. Stop trying to play them man.

Soldato
OP
How did you pay for it? All you need to do is show them proof of purchase, so if you paid on a card, then show them a card statement with the value on it and they will have to offer you a refund.

Trouble is, as it's part of a bundle, it will come up as £484, when the TV is only £299.

I was hoping to play the part of poorly organised consumer who bought the wrong TV and then lost the receipt

AJK

AJK

Associate
I was hoping to play the part of poorly organised consumer who bought the wrong TV and then lost the receipt

And you may get away with it, so by all means attempt to get something for nothing. There are plenty of reg flags about the whole situation that any customer service operative should spot though!

Soldato
OP
Your wife/OH hated it and insisted you return it would be my advice :p

Interesting.. my wife saw how much it cost and was so angry that she ate the receipt.. and that is why I don't have the receipt..

And you may get away with it, so by all means attempt to get something for nothing. There are plenty of reg flags about the whole situation that any customer service operative should spot though!

Well considering Tesco were letting Xbones with a few games go for £305 recently (glitch in their system) I'm not sure how robust their system is.

Soldato
This could be the final nail in the coffin for Tesco, are you prepared to cost 310,000 employees their job? Won't someone please think of the children?!

Soldato
Trouble is, as it's part of a bundle, it will come up as £484, when the TV is only £299.

I'm sure their policy is, if you buy something as part of a discounted bundle then you will have to return the whole lot. Not just part of it and expect a partial refund.

Also, if you buying something from Tesco Direct and don't have the receipt then they will track it by order number. Ive returned stuff to them before with no receipt. So they go off the order number on their system to valid the return.

Last edited:
Associate
Let's just say, having worked as a retail assistant in a few supermarkets and met many people responsible for knowing these things, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked :p

AJK

AJK

Associate
Well considering Tesco were letting Xbones with a few games go for £305 recently (glitch in their system) I'm not sure how robust their system is.

Not the same thing really! "I've lost my receipt" is universal retail code for "I am attempting a scam"...

Back
Top Bottom