The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Permabanned
I disagree, at over £600 combined with the horrendous support from asus and the escalating numbers of issues with this monitor. it is too big of a risk. For me anyway.

Someone asked if the monitor was worth the price ignoring G-Sync.

IMO going by fact there is plenty of 24/27" 1080p 144HZ 1ms monitors on market and this is 1st with 1440p its still not worth £300 to me due to poor colours/blacks and that is before the issues/faults than arise for many users.

I really got suckered in by the "really best quality TN ever seen", my old 20year old Mitsubishi 4:3 CRT TV I keep for older SD TV box sets and old SD movies had better colours/blacks.

I really wanted to like it not the other way round but a fault arose and that decided it for me.

Man of Honour
It would appear to me by reading both massive threads and owning a Rog Swift for 1 week that both have major Q/A issues but the Rog Swift will never have non washed out colours or good blacks esp in a dark room when I play game most of my games ie Batman etc, it is just passive for me in a bright natural daylit room but the coating still get glare/reflection and AFAIK its the reason you see a pattern on the screen if you look (lines or crosshatching similar to the EIZO) but not a fault like the Eizo just the type of coating.

I don't understand why (and I hope its not an indication of a progressive change that ends with the fuzzy text, etc. issues) but the image on my swift changed/improved over the first week of owning it - out the box it had a warm reddish tinge and after a week I've got fairly decently balanced colours and (helped by tweaking gamma in the drivers) "ok" blacks, not going to compared to say a VA panel but a lot better than I was expecting to be able to get. (Between the panel seeming to "run in" a bit and tweaking its an order of magnitude away from the washed out/bleached look out of the box).

Last few days its been working flawlessly as a 120Hz 2560x1440 panel and about as good as I'd hope to get with a TN so fingers crossed it continues to do so.

Permabanned
I meant passable not passive (finally got my lenses in an fixed most typos). :o

Could be your just getting used to it Roff and its now normal to you as I am not aware LCD's need burn in like Plasma etc before pro calibration.

Even most VA are not the best of black but better than TN/IPS, my 2013 LG TV was VA and poor blacks/shadow details and 2014's are now IPS and reviews ay same again.

I have no clue how Eizo did it with that gaming monitor but were a high end/prices commercial manu's before those and its one of those special Sharp panels and at end of the day Sharp invented LCD TV (I think Texas Instruments invented LCD display ie the black on grey background found on calculators).

Last edited:
Soldato
@ wunkley, Was your Eizo made in Germany, Norway or Japan (sticker on rear)?

There is a massive thread on hardforum about them as well as the Rog Swift, yes many did get a batch batch but the Jap ones are said to be less prone to all the issues like crosshatching on screen and that gap at side of screen you had and a few other issues.

Someone else above said "the black were too inky"

He must be brainwashed into seeing LCD Greyish Blacks as that is what all monitor/TV manu's are aiming for, ie Plasma Blacks and LCD cannot do it, CRT and OLED sure.

Also on the Rog Swift he said the viewing angles do not matter, that's correct as you look at it straight on not side on but the colour shift is very evident if you move your head a few inches off centre, in fact one of worst I have used but then again is a larger screen than most.

It would appear to me by reading both massive threads and owning a Rog Swift for 1 week that both have major Q/A issues but the Rog Swift will never have non washed out colours or good blacks esp in a dark room when I play game most of my games ie Batman etc, it is just passive for me in a bright natural daylit room but the coating still get glare/reflection and AFAIK its the reason you see a pattern on the screen if you look (lines or crosshatching similar to the EIZO) but not a fault like the Eizo just the type of coating.

I nearly bought an Eizo twice (once here in the MM and other on Bay) both used and both Jap and claiming to be flawless but 24" 1920x1080p today for me is still going backwards.

You're testing my memory now but I think it was made in Germany. I've got posts in the massive Eizo thread on here somewhere with all the details I think from about 6 months ago.

Associate
What issues, if any, are you having with yours? The only quibble I have is the minor inversion thing, very rarely in a few games. It sounds like there are different levels of severity of this (I get no really obvious vertical lines or anything like that). Touch wood I think I struck lucky with mine.

They come with a 3 year warranty, so if you're having no problems, just enjoy the best gaming monitor on gods green earth, and shut up :)

The inversion thing is very variable, I had two (both returned) and one was dramatically worse than the other. Some people's monitors obviously don't suffer as bad and/or it's not noticeable to them. You may want to consider waiting for Acer's model, though that might be Q1. It ultimately depends on how concerned you are about having to potentially RMA the monitor.

Man of Honour
Could be your just getting used to it Roff and its now normal to you as I am not aware LCD's need burn in like Plasma etc before pro calibration.

LCD's don't need to burn in no - not sure what it was but if I whack the settings in I had during initially playing with it now there is a slight green/aqua tint to it so it has definitely changed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Link

You couldn't make this up. I would say this is 'unbelievably bad' but Asus has had a poor reputation for customer services for years. From what I've read their at Creative Labs and EA's level.

Disgruntled Asus Swift user said:
Well to update on my RMA experience with ASUS. I sincerely hope that NOBODY has to go through what I did. To cut the story short, I still don't have a working display and the RMA I sent in arrived unusable and in worse shape than I sent it.

After going through the general hassle to file an RMA through ASUS, shipping the unit in (in it's original box and packaging) I finally receiving the unit back a process that ate 2 weeks the new unit arrived as follows. Disassembled, and with a broken ribbon cable on the base and missing the power block which I admittedly sent in along with the unit.

My first corse of action was to review the included paperwork. The packing slip listed the display, the base and tower, and the power block. The proprietary power block was nowhere to be found, the unit base was busted and disassembled. I had no way to even test if the panel would work.

The repair paperwork stated that the repair on the unit was made. What was replaced? The paperwork stated that the "bezel" was cracked and repaired. That is NOT what I sent the unit in for. The problem was clearly described with photos. Basically they took the display in, broke the base (I'm assuming because it was disassembled and the screws were included neatly in a separate ziplock bag. The tare is also such that I doubt it came off during shipping and more likely had come apart during disassembly. The fact that it was allowed to be sent as such is phenomenal in 2014!

When I called in to ASUS to ask them WTF? My first concern was that I could not test the panel to see if the display even worked since they did not send back my power block. When I mentioned the damage, the repair work conducted and the missing power block (which was included on their own packing slip)

The tech's reply word for word "Sir DID you READ? the RMA instructions? "

Completely ignoring the fact that the base was broken and the paperwork had stated that the repair was for something completely irrelevant to the original problem and the fact that their packing slip included the power block. He was of corse educating me to the fact that they tell you not to send in accessories (not sure what you'd do if your power block was the culprit lol) but regardless. The power block was the least of my concerns.

Sensing my frustration with his reply to nearly scold me regarding me sending in the power block along with the display and ignoring my concerns about the paperwork, the work done and the fact that the unit was broken I got transferred to a "supervisor". (ASUS outsources their customer support via PEGATRON in far away places btw)

After talking to the supervisor and explaining the problem. He requested photographic PROOF that the display was damaged. Again ignoring the fact that no actual internal work was conducted and nothing was repaired. He gave me an email to send in the photos. Which I did (attached below) instantly via my cell phone. I made sure that he had received them by keeping him on the phone until they arrived in his box. He said yes I got them and that I should expect a new RMA#, a new shipping label and that they would be shipping a replacement display which would include the power block to me once they receive the tracking number for the shipment. Satisfied with the reply, I concluded the call.

This was Thursday morning. By Friday night, I had not heard back. Hoping to get an email on Monday, I emailed the supervisor directly informing him that I had not received any new RMA, shipping label etc.

His reply? (Again, copy pasting here)

Asus Support said:
"We are waiting on pics for the damaged product. Or did you already send those?"

Thinking WTF? I sent him the following.

I had spoken with you specifically and had mailed the pics to you and your subordinate the day you requested them. You had (that moment) on the phone told me that you had received them. Now you don’t have them? I’m confused. You had said that you were going to issue a new RMA number and send a replacement display that would include the power block. My job was to wait for the email with RMA instructions and a shipping label. What am I missing here?

Here they are pics again.

Finally today (Tuesday) I got the following.

Asus Support said:
Let’s get that bad monitor on its way back to us so that we can close out your issue. I will be sending a shipping voucher for the return if you have not already done so. We need to have that tracking number communicated to us so that we can release the replacement. I would prefer a phone call, but an email would also be great.

Good Luck

Good LUCK is RIGHT! It looks like I'm going to need it. I received the shipping voucher. I am sending the damaged unit out today yet again. Hopefully this time I can get an actual replacement, and one that works. So far nearing a month without a display.

If it weren't for the fact Asus were so big retailers ought to stop vending their products like OcUK did with XFX which had the effect of XFX changing their ways but alas I don't think that would work with a company the size of Asus.

Associate
Is still worth buying one of these?

I've read so many problems about them on forums and people having issues...

I'm thinking of getting one on Thursday...is still worth it?

Associate
I have had two, I love the idea of one (styling/performance), but not meant to be - bad QA - lets put it that way.
Mileage may vary. Also, if they were 400 quid a pop, i would care less about the issues! Asus will learn
to fix their issues (maybe) / lower the price once the competition comes.

I would wait for the Acer version next year (27"/GSync/144Hz) but for now I have to have G-Sync as
I have learnt that now for me this is now a must have. I will by trialing the Acer xb280hk 4k
(60Hz only) soon and who knows, maybe I will make 4k a must have now.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Is still worth buying one of these?

I've read so many problems about them on forums and people having issues...

I'm thinking of getting one on Thursday...is still worth it?

In all fairness the return rate is a little higher on these than we would like, but a lot of that is because it is a £600+ TN panel monitor so people want perfection. However we've sold nearly 1000 of these now and over 900 of those customers are happy. :)

Wait until Friday before buying one, cheeky Black Friday deal I am feeling. ;)

Associate
I ordered one of these last night, i've now read the last few pages of this thread and am starting to regret buying it based on all the complaints !

Associate
I ordered one of these last night, i've now read the last few pages of this thread and am starting to regret buying it based on all the complaints !

Generally the most feedback you find is negative feedback.
I've had my swift since July now and haven't had one problem yet. Monitor still works flawlessly and not a dead pixel in sight. My only real problem is getting the full 110+ fps from it with my 780ti

Associate

Just stick it on now so I can buy straight away! :D

Or any idea how much by? I'll pull some money out of the ISA if it's cheap enough and need some days notice! :)

Last edited:
Associate

I'm going to order it on Thursday around 18:01 lol (with an 5960x and a 970)
The sale will be open from 18:00 and I want it the next day to be home, or the latest on Saturday.

Are OCUK going to stay overnight and work on orders? Or it will be processed the next day (Friday), delivered later that day and arriving on Saturday? :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
In all fairness the return rate is a little higher on these than we would like, but a lot of that is because it is a £600+ TN panel monitor so people want perfection. However we've sold nearly 1000 of these now and over 900 of those customers are happy. :)

That's really useful numbers there gibbo thanks for that. In summary you can say 9/10 customers are happy with the swift so far then based on your sales and returns. Not 'great', but not totally terrible numbers?.

What type of return rate do you get on other higher spec new monitors? I'm thinking like the 34inch LG 21:9 superwide that seems to have had a lot of quality control issues.....

Associate
I'm going to order it on Thursday around 18:01 lol (with an 5960x and a 970)
The sale will be open from 18:00 and I want it the next day to be home, or the latest on Saturday.

Are OCUK going to stay overnight and work on orders? Or it will be processed the next day (Friday), delivered later that day and arriving on Saturday? :cool:

You normally have to order by 4.30 for next day delivery don't you?

Back
Top Bottom