The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Man of Honour
Greetings, I am now back and as fickle as I may sound it isn't my fault...

I am now on my 3rd Asus Rog (Production Date November (EB)). Let me just say that once you have used an Swift and treated to all its glory, there is nothing that can replicate its fluidity (yet) and it is down to its specifications (120Hz+, GSync, 27" - The trifecta of a gaming monitor) + it looks amazing.

I have been back to 27" IPS, 24" TN's and Even tried 4K. Nothing comes close to it. It has been a roller coaster of 4 weeks and I have been severely dissapointed everytime (the closest I could get was a BenQ XL2420Z and that was not a close 2nd at all!).

I have found that the vertial lines in this one (whilest still apparent) was not as servere as the 2nd one (E9 Batch) (E8 Batch was my first and I can't remember thinking anything at the time but how bad i felt when it broke). I have also come to learn that even other TN panels (whilst not having vertical lines, have more of a waffle pattern) have artifacts.

All I need now is for the monitor to stay working and hoping that because it is the latest batch they have added more measures / fixed issues... Suffice to say I will be sticking with the Swift, I have no choice. Thanks Asus!

*Edit* I would like to add that the pixel inversion or vertial lines when moving side ways is significantly less with my EB (Current) than with by E9 monitor and probibly was like my E8 was (since I never noticed it then)
Perhaps all just luck but there you go.

On mine the screen door effect didn't even show up that much at first - can't remember exactly how long but it was over a week before it started being very noticeable (progressively worse though seems to have stopped getting worse now) in certain situations where it wasn't doing it at all out the box - but it only shows at 144Hz (so far) 120Hz has been perfect. If it continues to work flawlessly as a 120Hz 2560x1440 panel with gsync I'll be perfectly happy.

As above though the Swift fills a niche that currently nothing else comes even close to doing, I've tried various 21:9, 4K, 120-144Hz 1920x, etc. etc. without coming close to the experience the Swift can provide so as long as its only a smaller proportion of them that have game stopping faults its worth persevering with.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
So what do I need to do with regards to having a UK plug? Have I had a refurbished unit or something?

You have EU stock, due to shortages on ROG Swift Asus shipped some stock from EU. The downside is they clearly forgot to put a UK plug in the box.

Webnote/call our returns and they will sort you a UK lead.

Associate
Well managed to sort one out until I pop in and pick one up, apparently I left it on the side so they were included oops :p

As for the monitor it's absolutely ace! I have 1 dead pixel though at the top but I don't think it will bother me.

Soldato
Does anyone know if you have to accept b-grade as a replacement.

Of course you don't. You'd be well within your rights to kick up a stink.

The thing is though, as long as the 3 year warranty still stands, which it will (but you should get confirmed in writing)- if you get a good version of this monitor and it exhibits none of the issues some fellow swift users are getting, I would actually take it, personally even if it's b grade. It's worth it for the brilliance of the monitor, and the potential of less hassle in the long run. IF it's a good un.

Last edited:
Associate
Of course you don't. You'd be well within your rights to kick up a stink.

The thing is though, as long as the 3 year warranty still stands, which it will (but you should get confirmed in writing)- if you get a good version of this monitor and it exhibits none of the issues some fellow swift users are getting, I would actually take it, personally even if it's b grade. It's worth it for the brilliance of the monitor, and the potential of less hassle in the long run. IF it's a good un.

Cheers, thats what I am thinking accept then inspect carefully

Soldato
How can I tell if G-Sync is on? In a video I watched it said about an LED at the bottom of the screen, when I'm not in game it's blue when I load up a game it just turns off, any idea?

Man of Honour
It should turn red if gsync is on - mine is fairly faint red though which could be mistaken for off if you weren't looking at it from the right angle.

Soldato
Hmmm, G-Sync is on in the control panel, v-sync is set to G-Sync, when I'm in Windows the light is green then whenever I go in to any game it turns off, I've pretty much pushed my face up against it and it's defo not red :( Thanks though mate, wonder if it's fault? While I'm getting high frame rates I'm not blown away from it which is what has made me start to question if it's working. Not sure what it is but ULMB is also greyed out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Come on people get with it and rtfm! It's not the big base light which is always red unless you choose to turn it off via the osd! The gsync indicator is on the bottom right underside of the actual monitor edge. Read your manual for what the colours mean. When it's red gsync is active, and it works 100% accurate.

Soldato
Come on people get with it and rtfm! It's not the big base light which is always red unless you choose to turn it off via the osd! The gsync indicator is on the bottom right underside of the actual monitor edge. Read your manual for what the colours mean. When it's red gsync is active, and it works 100% accurate.

I've read the manual, the big base light it turned on and off with an option, the LEG is the right hand underside of the monitor, currently it looks blue/green, when I load up a game the light turns off. G-SYNC is enabled in Nvidia control panel, v-sync set to g-sync, games are being run in full screen with v-sync off and the light just turns off when I load a game up.

I've uninstalled the GFX cards, the monitor, re installed the lot but still the same. I've also got a fair bit of ghosting on Farcry 4, not sure if that's game specific though as I haven't tried any other games for per longed periods.

Here is the picture with it on/off
2HOnkEs.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom