Justified or gun happy?

Associate
There's obviously a fail in parenting. Which highlight a rather deeper global social problem.

While I don't want to go as far as to say that the officer murdered him, I do feel he should be prosecuted.

Surely he could have went for a none lethal shot (Given how close he was), or taser from out of the window (You know, given how he kind of shot the kid as he was coming out of the car, could have used the taser on him).

They're not trained to deliver "non leathal" shots.

If they shoot, they aim for the torso, also, what a lot ofpeople might think are "non leathal" shots can actually yield the same lethal results as shooting someone in the torso i.e. shooting someone in the leg (a highly vascular area and likely to lead to major blood loss).

I also imagine that the user of a taser is counter indicitive in a situation whereby someone is suspected of having a firearm.

Caporegime
I might be wrong here. But why does everyone assume that every police officer has a taser on them? Pretty sure that is not the case, and IF they did, it wouldn't be on their persons, it would be under lock and key in the car somewhere?

Also non-lethal shots are things of fantasies. Hollywood rubbish.

The problem with prosecuting is that precedents are then set. Prosecute here and then every time a policemen shoots someone in public with a BB gun then there will be grounds for prosecution.

So, you wouldn't class a shot to the foot as a none lethal shot?

And if they're not equipped to deal with a situation none lethally, then surely that's a flaw in the system.

This situation never needed to end lethally, it did. Ergo there's a problem.

Caporegime
They're not trained to deliver "non leathal" shots.

If they shoot, they aim for the torso, also, what a lot ofpeople might think are "non leathal" shots can actually yield the same lethal results as shooting someone in the torso i.e. shooting someone in the leg (a highly vascular area and likely to lead to major blood loss).

I also imagine that the user of a taser is counter indicitive in a situation whereby someone is suspected of having a firearm.

We've all watched enough of "I've got a knife, if I cut, you'll bleed out in XX" to know that :p

Associate
i used to play with a bb gun that looked like a desert eagle. Got stopped by the police for running around the street with it. Thinking back i'm lucky to be alive if it were America id probably have been shot too.

On the other hand I'm guessing faced with armed police you would have put your hands up when ordered instead of reaching for your replica weapon.

Soldato
So, you wouldn't class a shot to the foot as a none lethal shot?

And if they're not equipped to deal with a situation none lethally, then surely that's a flaw in the system.

This situation never needed to end lethally, it did. Ergo there's a problem.

You ever fired a gun before? Shooting someone in the foot with a pistol requires a huge amount of skill. You miss? Then it ricochets god knows where. The fundemental reason for shooting someone is to neutralise the threat. Shooting them in the foot does not achieve this, its more likely to aggitate things. You have to remember, the police do not know this weapon is a BB gun.

Tasering isn't 100% non-lethal either. I imagine the risks are quite high on a 12 year old as well.

Caporegime
You ever fired a gun before? Shooting someone in the foot with a pistol requires a huge amount of skill. You miss? Then it ricochets god knows where. The fundemental reason for shooting someone is to neutralise the threat. Shooting them in the foot does not achieve this, its more likely to aggitate things. You have to remember, the police do not know this weapon is a BB gun.

Tasering isn't 10% non-lethal either. I imagine the risks are quite high on a 12 year old as well.

I'm not suggesting it's perfect. But it's better than putting a 12 year old in the ground.

Soldato
Surely he could have went for a none lethal shot

Please can we have a script on the forum that detects whenever someone posts something like this, and replaces the entirety of that post with the text "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about"?

Honestly, the number of times this has been posted and responded to in this (and the Michael Brown) thread, I'm starting to wonder if half the people replying have actually read any of the previous posts... :rolleyes:

Soldato
Even today if I was doing no wrong, I wouldn't just simply "obey". It'd never cross my mind that someone's going to put me down.

Have you ever been confronted by armed police officers?

I have, aged 19. I was stopped in my car by 2 ARVs (4 officers with MP5s), a dog unit, numerous support vehicles, air support and a very angry police Inspector. From the instant I realised they were targeting my car I had no other thought than being completely compliant.

Caporegime

I have, aged 19. I was stopped in my car by 2 ARVs (4 officers with MP5s), a dog unit, numerous support vehicles, air support and a very angry police Inspector. From the instant I realised they were targeting my car I had no other thought than being completely compliant.

Confronted by armed police officers, pointing at me would make me compliant.
Being told to obey from a car (Or just when they're talking to me) wouldn't make me compliant. I don't respond to "orders" being barked at me.

Again, if you've seen the CCTV, the kid wasn't "confronted" the officer literally shot him within a second of being out of the car.

In his situation, I'd never imagine being shot at.

In yours. I would. Your situation being radically different to a point they're not directly comparable.

Soldato

May I ask what for :D

Soldato
The scary thing about this, in light of the video, is that the police were willing to shoot a child in the face without even seeing a gun - just on the back of a report from a member of the public and the child moving his hand toward his waistband.

Back
Top Bottom