Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Looks cool. :cool:

Is that a 5.8ghz video tx/rx system?

Could you link to the monitor screen?

Yep, 5.8ghz ts351 and rc805 transmitter and receiver. I can't link to the screen as it was off amazon, however if you were to google search for

"ePathChina® 7 inch TFT Color LCD Car Rear View Camera Monitor Support Rotating The Screen and 2 AV Inputs" then you'd find it pretty easily. It's the same as the hundreds that are on ebay, just i have free prime so bought it from there for slightly more.

I did a range/signal test drop with it as well so people can see what it's like for blue screen/snow screen.

Soldato
What shop could I buy 3.5mm male and female bullet connectors from?

EDIT:

How the hell have I just blown up a UBEC? I'm feeding it a 3S Lipo 11.v, and then it's just exploded and shot itself across the room. What is that about? Positive and negative in, then a little servo cable out for the receiver. What am I doing wrong?!

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone tried Flying their multicopter via gps waypoints, just sending it off and praying that it comes back? Tempted to set it up to fly it to my brothers house and back, across town, and record the footage. If you did it at a reasonable height it wouldn't be too obnoxious.

Please don't do that.

Soldato
I went for the SD, it's cheaper and if I get the bug I'll be upgrading next year. While learning to fly I expect to crash frequently, so I'm quite happy to deal with the lower camera resolution in the meantime.

Soldato
Has anyone tried Flying their multicopter via gps waypoints, just sending it off and praying that it comes back? Tempted to set it up to fly it to my brothers house and back, across town, and record the footage. If you did it at a reasonable height it wouldn't be too obnoxious.

I do that with my Vision, and yes its worrying that it wont come back.

But as above, flying over people/houses is a no no.

Soldato
Yeah, I know it's dodgy, I'll be very careful. It's not exactly cheap. I won't be doing that.

Anyone familiar with the Multiwii Pro? I've built the frame, got the motors on, mounted the ESC's to the frames, I just need to connect the ESCs to the MultiWii pro, but I have no idea where to connect them.

I've got a diagram but it mentions a connector that I've not got, I think I've got a later version than one referenced in the diagram.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I know it's dodgy, I'll be very careful. It's not exactly cheap. I won't be doing that.

This comment is am little worrying. You wouldn't allow your multirotor to fly off out of sight, on a pre planned course over buildings and people, with the potential to cause all sorts of damage/injury/distrutpion because it cost a few quid? Not because its a ludicrously irresponsible and stupid thing to do... OK. Rant over, let's hope you don't win the lottery :p

Soldato
This:

Followed by this:
How the hell have I just blown up a UBEC? I'm feeding it a 3S Lipo 11.v, and then it's just exploded and shot itself across the room. What is that about? Positive and negative in, then a little servo cable out for the receiver. What am I doing wrong?!

And this....
Anyone familiar with the Multiwii Pro? I've built the frame, got the motors on, mounted the ESC's to the frames, I just need to connect the ESCs to the MultiWii pro, but I have no idea where to connect them.

I've got a diagram but it mentions a connector that I've not got, I think I've got a later version than one referenced in the diagram.

...is the reason these things are likely to be banned in the uk. Flying out of sight is against the CAA rules. Flying above towns and people out of your control... is against CAA rules. Flying high enough to be obnoxious over a town when you can't see the thing is DAMN DANGEROUS. Especially for someone who has somehow blown up an ESC and can't find out how to assemble one of the easiest RC vehicles to assemble.

Look at the picture, 'motor pins' is where you plug your esc's
** No hotlinking images **
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3/1/6/3/0/5/a5344019-114-HK-Mega-v1-connections.jpg

All flight controllers have the same basic layout, receiver channels one side, ESC's the other.

Once you've done that, look at these pictures of what these "toys" can do. This is why you shouldn't fly over towns, especially on autopilot.

WARNING: graphic pictures of injuries

Then read these. I know they're boring, but you need to know what you're doing because at the very least, you can get a hefty fine for breaking them, could result in the banning of the hobby or even worse, seriously injure/kill someone.

Associate
Went out this morning to try and get some sunrise footage, didn't quite go to plan

My gimbal keeps having a fit whenever I fly forwards, then I let the battery go a little too low. Just as I was getting back to my landing spot it stopped responding to my inputs. Luckily it hit a tree, no major damage on first look except the gimbal got ejected off the quad

Video to follow...

Soldato
I was charging my batteries when I saw the sun coming up.

By the time I got out the sun was fairly high, and I forgot I had an ND filter on my Vision. Took a few pictures and not that happy with them.

This is straight from the camera with no pp at all.

8SQP1im.jpg.png

Wish I had some camera skills like others on here, then my pictures might come out better.

Soldato
This:

Followed by this:

And this....

...is the reason these things are likely to be banned in the uk. Flying out of sight is against the CAA rules. Flying above towns and people out of your control... is against CAA rules. Flying high enough to be obnoxious over a town when you can't see the thing is DAMN DANGEROUS. Especially for someone who has somehow blown up an ESC and can't find out how to assemble one of the easiest RC vehicles to assemble.

Look at the picture, 'motor pins' is where you plug your esc's
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3/1/6/3/0/5/a5344019-114-HK-Mega-v1-connections.jpg

All flight controllers have the same basic layout, receiver channels one side, ESC's the other.

Once you've done that, look at these pictures of what these "toys" can do. This is why you shouldn't fly over towns, especially on autopilot.

WARNING: graphic pictures of injuries

Then read these. I know they're boring, but you need to know what you're doing because at the very least, you can get a hefty fine for breaking them, could result in the banning of the hobby or even worse, seriously injure/kill someone.

Thanks for the diagram, BT I'm not going to bother reading the rest of it. Me asking, then stating I wouldn't actually do it doesn't warrant your tone. Blowing up a UBEC and then asking for helping doesn't mean I'm a total retard and cannot function in life, thank you very much.

I'll exit this thread.

Soldato
Cyclone - pushed the saturation a little and straighten - nothing else but still a nice picture

20141206_8_SQP1im.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for the diagram, BT I'm not going to bother reading the rest of it. Me asking, then stating I wouldn't actually do it doesn't warrant your tone. Blowing up a UBEC and then asking for helping doesn't mean I'm a total retard and cannot function in life, thank you very much.

I'll exit this thread.

You said you wouldnt do it because the drone is expensive, thats not the same thing!!

Everyone who starts this hobby really needs to read those rules and be aware of the damage these things can do if they fail. Its worrying that you were tempted to do it despite the fact you're clearly a beginner/have very little idea of what you're doing. I never implied you're a retard in every day life you big drama queen, but you clearly dont know much about what you're doing in relation to flying. My "tone" was serious, because these pieces of kit have serious repurcussions if not used properly. When i first started i was the same... "i'll fly over my house/town with a go pro and do backflips etc", i got the same reaction and it sunk in. At the end of the day, i'm doing YOU a favour by offering it all for you like that. Theres been quite a few people who have just bought a phantom and flown it in town and been slapped with several thousand pound fines for doing it. My information was blunt, but not agressive or patronising, simply concerned and factual.

I personally think all flying "toys" should have a brief bullet point sheet outlining the rules of flying to anybody buying this equipment.

The other things you've asked about i've helped where i could, but when it comes to peoples safety and uk flight regulations its pretty clear you havent bothered checking and its annoying. I dont want my hobby being taken away due to other peoples ignorance and lack of care.

I really hope you dont just up and leave the group, we're actually a friendly bunch, but if people put silly/dangerous things up then they need to expect people wont be happy.

Associate
Personally i'm glad you posted those links, it's made me see that i need to practise and learn how to control my little Q4 before i look at going bigger and better.

Back
Top Bottom