*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
5 x 8 pull-ups is good - I struggle with them a lot. I feel your pain on added weights though - it really does make a difference just adding a few % to your body weight.

It's only on a rubbish home bar so it's not really as good as doing proper 5 * 8 anyhow. I might be trying a new gym out in March in which case I can do "big boy" pull ups again :p

Soldato
Ugh strongly considering buying a texas power bar, I can't handle the whip/wobble in the eleiko oly bars after ~250kg and between 220-250 is just about bearable but it does upset my groove.

I'd love an eleiko or ivanko power bar but my god they're expensive :eek:

Associate
Ugh strongly considering buying a texas power bar, I can't handle the whip/wobble in the eleiko oly bars after ~250kg and between 220-250 is just about bearable but it does upset my groove.

I'd love an eleiko or ivanko power bar but my god they're expensive :eek:

Having just ordered a load of gym equipment i'm considering the texas power bar as an upgrade to my strength shop bar in the future. Couldn't stretch the budget on my startup setup. But I know i'll need something stronger before look (at least i hope so).

I did a little research before realising I couldn't stretch my budget to get one yet and there seems to be a bit of debate over whether the bar is actually whipy or not compaired to similar bars. But then there also seems to be a few different versions of the power bar. From what i gather the original buddy capps version is the one to get.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the bar if you do purchase one though.

Man of Honour
Pullum Texas bar is very good, but the knurling is extremely aggressive so might not be to everyone's taste.

I will be getting my hands on the Strength Shop Texas bar in the next few weeks, and I'm hoping that it's similarly good.

Associate
First time back in the gym for.... A while. Hit 70kg front squat 4x1, pretty chuffed with myself :). I want to get into it a bit more, are there good shoes that are also cheap?

Caporegime
First time back in the gym for.... A while. Hit 70kg front squat 4x1, pretty chuffed with myself :). I want to get into it a bit more, are there good shoes that are also cheap?

Elaborate.

What shoes? Flat soled? Ones with heels? Many people front squat without heeled shoes. Some use flat soled ones and put a plate under their heel if ankle mobility is an issue.

Associate
Elaborate.

What shoes? Flat soled? Ones with heels? Many people front squat without heeled shoes. Some use flat soled ones and put a plate under their heel if ankle mobility is an issue.

Flat shoes for all lifts, my ankle mobility hasn't been an issue so far but I'll do the same if I do have problems, I currently only have running shoes.

Man of Honour
Bah, I'm struggling to motivate myself to go to the gum at the moment. I genuinely enjoy it, but I took time off before Xmas after injuring my hip flexors squatting and I've not been back since. Ridiculous really seeing as I went nonstop from 18-21 years old and loved every second of if and when I started going back again last year I found I still liked it... Need to stop being a lazy ****.

I used to use low ankle Converse Allstars, cheap and seemed to work well when I was awesome and lifted... but I don't anymore because I have discovered "britain's Best Back Garden" as well as that new shopping channel. I just find it so engrossing I don't have time to lift!

Try that on for size. ;) :D

Man of Honour
What people wear in gyms does make me smile. Many years ago I used to go to a gym in London near my work. Most people wore quite expensive designer gym clothes and a colleague from work used to wear £100 running shoes for the cycles. I would turn up in £5 Tesco jogging trousers, £6 Tesco trainers and one of my old TShirts that I would have thrown in the bin.

Now I train in my garage and use the same £5 jogging trousres, the same old TShirt and have downgraded the shoes to old flipflops :)

Although I don't use them anymore the cheap Tesco trainers would probably be good for lifting because they are cheaply made so just flat and hard.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Although I don't use them anymore the cheap Tesco trainers would probably be good for lifting because they are cheaply made so just flat and hard.

Tried this when I started out... and quickly realised that lifting barefoot was infinitely better. :(

I now lift in high heels, however, so feel free to discount my perspective. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom