Project GODUS kick starter - Peter Molyneux

Was working fine from the office on BT, but not working at home for me on VM.

edit - Scrub that, worked fine going from RPS main site then following the link. Guess their site is getting hammered though, must be linked all over the web by now.

Soldato
Link didnt work for me, but going to the site without the link and then clicking on the article from the front page worked fine.

yeah thanks, I eventually got it somehow(though even google links to it weren't working either).

Really, really painful to read that. It is like listening to the black box of a plane that has crashed!...a kind of sense of dread watching him trying to wriggle out of it, but there is no way out:(...This guy was once a hero:(

I don't think I would like to actually watch or listen to the interview!

The tone is a little aggressive, but it is nothing that doesn't need saying tbh. One of the comments below summed it up perfectly - "that wasn't an interview, it was an intervention". Exactly what I was thinking!

Last edited:
Soldato
At least it'll be the last time he misleads people, you'd have to be particularly dense to trust him again after this.

It was the Milo demo for the Xbox 360's Kinect that did it for me.

Soldato
To be honest I'm a little annoyed with myself for backing it but he is like a childhood hero, met him a few times and, well, I always trust him for some reason.

Stelly

Same here, except for the meeting him part. I know he gets carried away but I always love his enthusiasm, and he was responsible for some of my favourite games. I stuck up for him when people ****ged him off during the kickstarter campaign, I guess I've been proved wrong on this occasion. :(

Its such a massive shame, its not about the money (though I may feel that way if I'd been one of the large backers), but I was so excited when I initially heard what he was trying to do and really wanted this to succeed.

Maybe they should have just started with 'Populus + modern graphics' and worked from there.

Caporegime
Take a great game that had a great gameplay and story.... and put a new story with the same mechanics and you have a second great game. When you put the same story with new mechanics, 99 out of 100 times it will be a worse game.

People find a way to blame the devs, someone buying them, some other situation but more often than not it's the same guys with a different name above the door, they just had a good idea... it doesn't mean every idea will be good. The simple fact is that most devs/studios have one really good idea, and make every subsequent game worse either in small steps or one giant leap and very few of them come back from it. They always end up chasing the one idea they had and not working out why the original worked and everything since sucked... mostly because they thought some new mechanic was better. how can a great game plus something new and better be worse.... because they believe all their ideas are good I guess.

PM has been a joke for so long and the general history of gaming suggests that repeat greatness is so exceedingly rare and with his personal history why anyone would think he could do something great I don't know.

But what bugs me more is devs who are willing to put the risk in the gamers hands but the reward in theirs... WHEN THEY HAVE MONEY ALREADY, it's inexcusable. He has money, he can fund what he likes, he didn't need Kickstarter money, why give him any? When a new company get together, preferably younger guys who haven't had a chance to build up a chunk of cash, I can completely understand backing them. But when a guy has money and decides to try and get you to fund his ideas so there is zero risk on his end... that boils my blood.

Caporegime
I stopped believing a word that came out of his mouth after playing Black and White. Expecting kick ass AI and it was no different than anything else out there.

yea b&w was pretty good because of the idea but technically it wasnt a great game.
the sequel however was dire everyone remembers the ai pathing in that game right? lol

Soldato
Reading that interview on shotgun, I think there's a million and one brick walls that an operation of sorts has to face on a daily basis. All to easy for rps to exploit a free pass through every one of them, backing peter in to an uncomfortable corner. The longer the interview went on, the worse it was ever going to get.

To make any kind of comment on it myself though, from what little I can grasp, 22 cans were pretty much acting as a manned up studio, not so much the 3 or 4 guy indy team...

A full on staff is going to cost, can kickstarter support that model?

3 or 4 guys hitting those brick walls could continue on with a increased time rate, and me personally I would understand that. My own personal backed kickstarter is heading towards 2 years overtime... But there's one guy making it... and he puts himself out there with constant updates, alphas, beta's ect.... you can see the means to an end.

You can't excuse everything, when you're taking peoples money and personal relationships are getting in the way, breaking it down, then there's no excuse.

Soldato
I remember when PM came onto the scene with Populous. The interviews in ACE and Amiga Format were informative and very inspiring etc... He had great vision and motivation. The rps interview leaves you with nothing and is quite sad.

It sad to see how far the media can seem to make a person fall. I know he's made mistakes but the way hate is directed is just wrong.

Associate
Because Peter Molyneux is famously long on promises and short on delivery.

Edit: Despite that, I frequently enjoy his games a great deal. Black & White and Fable are brilliant, if horribly flawed and oddly anaemic.

Wow from 2012 so very very right!!!!!! :D

Associate
Same difference with Rober Space Industries. $2,134,374 would never have been able to fulfil even half of their promises. What would have happened if both Frontier and RSI had not continued to sell after the Kickstarter had ended?

The plan with Star Citizen on Kickstarter was to essentially prove there was a market, an interest within the gaming community to build a space sim on the PC, because the industry (publishers) really didnt believe there was.

From there they'd find investors to allow them to fund the whole project, using KS as proof of interest. That was always the plan, but that changed when CR realised that not only was there interest, that interest was such that it was capable of comfortably funding the project without outside help, and on it goes.

Godus wasnt done in the same way, they implied they needed X amount, without publishers, they'd do it alone. They got more, and they've needed more.

Something i noticed that RPS story doesnt mention, is that Kickstarter only raised SOME of the funds, they've still sold it on Steam and had those funds. So its not just what they got from KS, its more... and yet not enough.

Associate
I’d have been gutted if this had been David B from Elite. The only game I’ve ever backed on KS and unreservedly so as it was the game of my Childhood/ Early teens in the 80’s. Sad for everyone who backed this and feel let down.

To me he comes over like a dodgy builder when questioned about problems with the build.

Soldato
Actually I came away from reading the RPS interview with a great deal more respect for Molyneux than I previously had, he makes some valid points and RPS comes across as a bit childish. It just remains to be seen if they bother finishing it or give up and walk away I guess.

It's hardly unique that a project has issues of such scale, the only unique thing here is that it was a kickstarted project and that the press has gone after Peter Molyneux like a rabid pack of dogs.

Caporegime
Actually I came away from reading the RPS interview with a great deal more respect for Molyneux than I previously had, he makes some valid points and RPS comes across as a bit childish. It just remains to be seen if they bother finishing it or give up and walk away I guess.

It's hardly unique that a project has issues of such scale, the only unique thing here is that it was a kickstarted project and that the press has gone after Peter Molyneux like a rabid pack of dogs.

How on Earth?

Back
Top Bottom