Yamaha MT-125

Associate
got myself the ABS version 2 weeks ago. as i started a new job and wanted something good looking and quicker than most 125s. had enough of used bikes failing (im 39 and yet have been on a 125 for 3 years now, suits my commuting needs for now and weekend fun with the motorbike club im with. they all love this bike) had a varadero 125 before on which the engine failed. im not a small person and the MT125 is a big size and its quick enough, im still being careful but have had it up to 75mph. its cheap to run aswell.

with engine protector and fly screen installed-
mXHlWrp.jpg

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
got myself the ABS version 2 weeks ago. as i started a new job and wanted something good looking and quicker than most 125s. had enough of used bikes failing (im 39 and yet have been on a 125 for 3 years now, suits my commuting needs for now and weekend fun with the motorbike club im with. they all love this bike) had a varadero 125 before on which the engine failed. im not a small person and the MT125 is a big size and its quick enough, im still being careful but have had it up to 75mph. its cheap to run aswell.

with engine protector and fly screen installed-
http://i.imgur.com/mXHlWrp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be better to get full license and for this same price buy a bike in cat. A2 range? :confused:

Associate
Wouldn't it be better to get full license and for this same price buy a bike in cat. A2 range? :confused:

i didnt have time to do the full test. one day. no rush though. i have been bikeless for 6 months. then got the job two weeks ago and had half a week to choose a bike to commute with. so chose what i got. ill do my big bike test eventually. not had either the time/money to do the test yet. plus i also own a yacht which costs money

Associate
all the best.

i started revising for the full test last year but then lost my job. so everything was on hold.

im planning to do the test next in a years time

Associate
i didnt have time to do the full test. one day. no rush though. i have been bikeless for 6 months. then got the job two weeks ago and had half a week to choose a bike to commute with. so chose what i got. ill do my big bike test eventually. not had either the time/money to do the test yet. plus i also own a yacht which costs money

you have to do a CBT every two years, full test don't take that much longer so why not just get it done?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Does look very nice for a 125 - streetfigher version of the yzf125, which gets good reviews and is the best selling 125 iirc. Trouble is it's still a 125.
+1, It would be so much better with more power, as not only can you overtake more comfortably... you also feel safer as the power is there in case you need to escape/avoid an accident/collision.

you have to do a CBT every two years, full test don't take that much longer so why not just get it done?

SfWLs.gif

Associate
as i said, circumstances stopped me at the time carrying out the full test. now i need to get settled in my new job and make sure it works out and i couldnt get there with public transport and so opted for a new bike i could rely on but was better than most 125's. is plenty quick enough for UK roads. has quick accelleration. and is cheap to run fuel wise which is what i wanted. the big bike will come in time but im in no rush. the CBT takes one day without the need for revising or doing a test. the full license and test comes to about £600 with bike hire. cbt is £100 every two years. but granted the 600 means never have to take any bike course ever again and can ride anything. i do want to do it but am in no rush.

Soldato
Looks very nice for a 125. But as with all "premium" 125s, i can't help but think back to my KH125 and what happened when i came off.

My KH125 had massive chucky indicators and mirrors. I slid on wet leaves and just replaced the indicator and left the mirror scratched. If you come off of this, just sliding at low speeds will quite horrible in terms of bike damage, even the engine casing sticks out quite a lot. And lets face it, 125s are 90% ridden by beginners, so it's highly likely to happen.

If i had a son that wanted a 125 motorbike for his 17th birthday. Like hell would i buy him this. Not then, or after 5000 miles experience.

As for a town commuter for the relatively experienced and sensible, yes please.

Associate
I saw this bike when I was buying my Scooter at the dealership and was quite impressed but the price is way too high for me. It's almost a grand more than I intend to spend on my first big bike. That being said if I fail my DAS I might be tempted.

Man of Honour
For the price you'd pay for a brand new one of these you can pretty much afford to do your full test and pick up a tidy 2nd hand big bike.
While it looks pretty as others have said it's still just a 125 and no one wants to be all show and no go.

Associate
Am in the 40 year old one day I want to do my big boy bike test.... But sadly with 2 children and other things going on.... It will be probs forever be on the back burner.

The daily commute is 25 miles through 2 towns and a flat A road... I'm like the fact I could finance this and pay relatively little and 100 mpg?!

Surely better to run than a ford focus yawn everyday..... These things built to commute? Or just a few thousand miles before you rebuild the thing? Would be my first bike.

Back
Top Bottom