How many buy Grey vs Local ?

Caporegime
Always by local.

If you want to take more risk and get lower prices then second hand beats grey import.

Caporegime
The used is likely to be grey as well ...so where does that leave you?
It is not liekly to be grey, grey market camera product make up a fraction of a single percent of units so the chances are slim. Plus I always check to see if it comes with the orginal warranty card.

And if you do end up with a grey then you will also end up with more money in your pocket, a clean conscious for not committing tax fraud, and if you buy used forma store you get a warranty form the store typically than if you purchased a grey product new.

Associate
Mostly grey and some from Amazon UK depending what it is. Grey is generally cheaper, longer warranty in most cases and personally always been a hassle free experience.

Caporegime
Having been against it for years I can totally understand why people go that way. When you sell second hand no one quotes UK prices, they want import prices minus second hand value. The surge in people in the UK going grey has certainly pushed down second hand prices. I do get this is still a small amount of the total camera purchases but anyone looking at £500-2k lenses is someone fully aware of the grey market.

Clearly it's up to customs to do their job better and if Canon really cared they could offer no repairs at all without a warranty card/uk receipt or offer longer warranties on uk stock.

As a side, has Kerso stopped trading? He doesn't have anything much in stock these days and his threads are gone from TP.

Soldato
OP
D7200 Body £640 or WEX at £920
Nikon 80-400 £1435 or WEX at £1624 after £275 cash back

Total save £469 for grey off the bay... "already in UK" sellers.

I started looking because of the cash back offers from Nikon.... thinking it would level the score.... alas not.

Caporegime
If I had paid for my 70d in UK it would have cost me 150 more and bought me a year less warranty.
Fantastic

Lenses usually save less. But on 500-1k lenses 100-200 is common
I've only actually bought 1 lens in the UK on special price match

It's unlikely my 70d will break
Its unlikely the shop won't honour the warranty (heard good things)
Even if both failed I'd STILL be in pocket!

Caporegime
If I had paid for my 70d in UK it would have cost me 150 more and bought me a year less warranty.
Fantastic

Lenses usually save less. But on 500-1k lenses 100-200 is common
I've only actually bought 1 lens in the UK on special price match

It's unlikely my 70d will break
Its unlikely the shop won't honour the warranty (heard good things)
Even if both failed I'd STILL be in pocket!

I get your point but you can't say you would still be in pocket if you don't know what would be broken :p

Caporegime
I get your point but you can't say you would still be in pocket if you don't know what would be broken :p

I often think warranties just aren't worth it. For me to pay UK prices I'd need 5yr
The grey importers can afford 3yr warranty with small margins because these things break so infrequently

If it works on arrival it probably fine for this stuff

I personally despise 1-2yr warranty on anything over 200

Caporegime
Having been against it for years I can totally understand why people go that way. When you sell second hand no one quotes UK prices, they want import prices minus second hand value. The surge in people in the UK going grey has certainly pushed down second hand prices. I do get this is still a small amount of the total camera purchases but anyone looking at £500-2k lenses is someone fully aware of the grey market.

Clearly it's up to customs to do their job better and if Canon really cared they could offer no repairs at all without a warranty card/uk receipt or offer longer warranties on uk stock.

As a side, has Kerso stopped trading? He doesn't have anything much in stock these days and his threads are gone from TP.

Nikon don't service grey import gear in the US at all, even if you pay them. They are also greatly limiting the number of independent places that are allowed to repair, or that is get parts to allow them to repair.

Caporegime
2nd hand from private buyer, zero warranty. 2nd hand from shop, 3 month warranty. New UK grey, 1 - 3 year warranty. Seems a simple choice ?

The warranty second hand forma shop varies form 3 months to a year and will be cheaper than grey.

UK grey stock wont have any official warranty from the manufacturer so you are then dependent on the shop. Some do have a warranty but not all.

It is all a gamble really. A new grey stock item should have a longer life than a second hand item but there is no guarantee for any of it. I would also trust a bricks and motor shop to honour their warranty over some Chinese online-only shop that purposely commit tax fraud.

Back
Top Bottom