How many buy Grey vs Local ?

If you're buying a grey import, just make sure it is with a company providing a uk vat receipt and you request it up front. If you receive it as a consumer you should then be covered?

The vat/import dodging companies do so under the fact that the end seller are the actual importer and they are the only middle man.

There are the companies that state they do pay uk vat, however it was from one of them that I purchased from and they were unable to provide a vat receipt and the goods arrived marked as a gift (~£500 lens). It would appear that you only get a vat receipt when requested up front...

It is the property of the seller until it is received... IE, delivered to the end recipient... so the seller are indeed the importer...

Still doesn't lessen his opinion. Again, why mention HMRC if everything is okay?

All I will say, is that during my yearly DV review my BACS transfer payment to a grey importer was raised. It was flagged by them as an unusual payment and I had to explain it all.

What lessens his credibility is using fringe cases to try to support an opinion and change peoples actions.

I don't understand what you mean by "ok", us importers all know it's illegal tax evasion, but that doesn't make it immoral. We think the excessive taxation is immoral.

What lessens his credibility is using fringe cases to try to support an opinion and change peoples actions.

I don't understand what you mean by "ok", us importers all know it's illegal tax evasion, but that doesn't make it immoral. We think the excessive taxation is immoral.

lol, keep telling yourself that.

It is the property of the seller until it is received... IE, delivered to the end recipient... so the seller are indeed the importer...

You have no clue. You buy anything from abroad and you are the importer, plain and simple. There are UK based companies which get around this for you, make sure you check their t&c's and buy from them.

Erm, scaremongering much...

As already noted previously body only cameras are often split from a kit box. Manuals / warranty cards are often removed when they come with a non-English version. Some suppliers do include English manuals, so do not and tell you to download the PDF from the manufacturer site.

Not the end of the world for the savings involved. You pays ya money and you makes your choices.

Oh god no not a manual, that's worth paying £500 for. :rolleyes:

D.P. you come off as if you work for HMRC, your posts are not credible.

I updated that thread to say that I contacted them and they sent me a paper manual a few days later. Great service from them and fast email response. I'll definitely not hesitate to use them again.

I updated that thread to say that I contacted them and they sent me a paper manual a few days later. Great service from them and fast email response. I'll definitely not hesitate to use them again.
Yeah but that wouldn't sound as scary when D.P. sets off on his anti grey crusade... ;)

Wex currently have 10% off on canon lenses which for something like the 24-70 more expensive lenses puts them in the ball park of Grey.

£1260 for the 24-70 with the code. In fact that's the same price as Hdew.

Has anyone used eglobalcentral? the lens I want is £150 cheaper there than HDEW.

Yes, Bought an E mount Samyang 12mm from them about 3 weeks ago, opted for the insured delivery for an extra few quid, Paid £203 in total. Brand new sealed item wrapped in plenty of bubble wrap was with me in about 7 days.

Yes, Bought an E mount Samyang 12mm from them about 3 weeks ago, opted for the insured delivery for an extra few quid, Paid £203 in total. Brand new sealed item wrapped in plenty of bubble wrap was with me in about 7 days.

Thanks. I take it you got the box and all the bits? did you have to pay any tax?
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom