Any Brits moved to Aus?

Soldato
How did it work out for you? Have you stayed?

I've been thinking about it for years but I've always had a fairly good job with a decent company... Times are changing and blah blah so I have been looking for work around NSW, just north of Sydney sort of area. Got a mate who's is Dee Why.

What kind of money do I need in my pocket to set up out there and what sort of salary will I need to live well? I hear aus is expensive. Also, I'm a trained mech eng fitter, the OH is a physio, and we're both 25. I'd like to think we could find work quite easily?

I've been looking on seek.au and there seems to be plenty of work. Any tips from those in the know?

Cheers guys

Soldato
I've a bunch of friends who moved over there, if you can get a good visa and job you'll be loving it. One of my friends ended up pretty much on the opposite side of the country to where she studied abroad and made all her friends and finding it very lonely though for example. Considered it myself but I couldn't hack it living in a hot climate all year round!

Soldato
OP
lol, you don't hang round GD enough then :p
I'm about... Take little notice though :p

I've a bunch of friends who moved over there, if you can get a good visa and job you'll be loving it. One of my friends ended up pretty much on the opposite side of the country to where she studied abroad and made all her friends and finding it very lonely though for example. Considered it myself but I couldn't hack it living in a hot climate all year round!

I believe I'd initially get a 1 year working holiday visa, I guess when that runs out I'd need to prove I'm supporting myself... The biggest ? Is how to find a good job... They seem to be paying well but that doesn't meam to say it's not an aweful place to work...

Soldato
Well that's a risk like any other you have to take, I literally didn't know a soul when I flew out to work for a year in US but worked out to be one of the best years of my life and that's with my workplace being very average. You can of course do some research on the company if possible beforehand. If you're in good financial shape though and like travelling and new experiences, could be a very nice year abroad in worst case scenario? Living costs are pretty high over there but wages normally match that.

Only other thing though is depending how close you are to your family and friends, and if you can go on with your life without seeing them for long periods of time.

Soldato
A friend of mine went out there over 20 years ago, to Perth, as a welder! (his brother got in as a bricklayer...) and has never, ever regretted it! He's now a manager of a plant company at a mine, on a great salary.
Huge house, swimming pool, the lot.
He has said that prices are getting really expensive lately though. I would say go for it, not much to look forward to here is there.

Caporegime
My aunt moved there about 20 years ago and has moved back to Europe about 5 years ago. She got too annoyed at Australians, was way too isolated, culturally lacking and just too damn expensive to retire to.

Soldato
OP
I'm close to my immediately family (mum/dad/brother) but I could manage easily I reckon... Its my lady that'd struggle with being away. I'd rather go and at least try it than look back in 20 years and regret not going I think... Just not sure I have the balls.

Soldato
It's not that bad. I saw a few white tail spiders and redbacks, as well as a snake or two when in the outback. The sun is probably more dangerous.

Soldato
How did it work out for you? Have you stayed?

I've been thinking about it for years but I've always had a fairly good job with a decent company... Times are changing and blah blah so I have been looking for work around NSW, just north of Sydney sort of area. Got a mate who's is Dee Why.

What kind of money do I need in my pocket to set up out there and what sort of salary will I need to live well? I hear aus is expensive. Also, I'm a trained mech eng fitter, the OH is a physio, and we're both 25. I'd like to think we could find work quite easily?

I've been looking on seek.au and there seems to be plenty of work. Any tips from those in the know?

Cheers guys

I went over there many years back with the intention of staying but I did come back. Outside of the bigger cities it can be redneck central. The cost of living has increased significantly in that time. Now I am not sure about your job but physios and other health care staff are in lower demand now due to the amount of people who have gone over there already. People I know who have gone recently (in healthcare) have not found they were quite so needed as they had hoped. Also there the cost of living and property have shot up due to the rare earth industries. Case in point my friend a medical consultant earns less than a neighbour who is truck driver. It's a great place though and the people are really friendly. But it can get isolated you can't generally pop to another city that requires a flight. If you can swing it with work then do it and give it a go least you can say you gave it a go. We came back due to my wife's mother getting diagnosed with cancer - that really drove home the point about how far away you are. Something worth considering depending on the age and health of your folks and your relation with them. They'll always say just go don't worry about us but you have to live with that decision yourself too.

Soldato
2 cousins and their partners have done it. 2 school friends have done it. a friends sister has done it.

bottom line is, it's very expensive (one friend is paying $7k+ for a visa apparently. she isn't married to a citizen, not sure if that's playing a part) other friend is married to a citizen and has a kid but works away 3 weeks a month and will pull 60 hours a week as a rigger to make circa £70k.

i've been and seen the life my cousins enjoy and there's no denying it's a more active kind of life, a better one on the whole? i'm not so sure. it's definitely got the better weather but there is zero culture and this grates after a while.

finishing work at 4 and going to the beach is 99% myth prepare to graft harder than you graft here if you want to survive in a rented property, prepare to work your fingers to the bone if you want a mortgage.

imo it's a move you make for you kids future, not your own. if you don't plan on having kids it's not the place to go to imo. my cousins have 2 kids and the weekends are action packed.

Back
Top Bottom