Any Brits moved to Aus?

Associate
Made the trip in the opposite direction! just moved to London from Sydney nearly two months ago now. Thankfully I had a job to walk into but otherwise was annoying trying to find somewhere to live as it seemed everything I wanted was snapped up immediately. Aus isn't as bad but rent is just as expensive especially Sydney and perth. If you need any tips on Sydney or aus in general let me know!

Associate
I did the same at age 24, lived over in Sydney for 2.5 years. Loved every minute of it and wish I could go back but the practicalities are a little less appealing now I'm 30. Lived on Bondi Beach, worked in Bondi Junction - didn't have many complaints apart from it's isolation.

Do it!

Soldato
My aunt moved there about 20 years ago and has moved back to Europe about 5 years ago. She got too annoyed at Australians, was way too isolated, culturally lacking and just too damn expensive to retire to.

This coming from a man who wants to spam the UK with immigrants :rolleyes:

Soldato
I got a job working in IT within two weeks of arriving in Melbourne.

It's a land of opportunity, as long as you're good at your job and don't mind hard graft. Similar to the states in that respect.

Associate
Are you talking Australia as a whole there or just the Perth/WA area where you live?

As a whole, I keep getting offered work in Sydney and Brisbane where I have contacts, but I don't want to move back to either. Loads of work in Melbourne as well. These all go on what you know so easier to get employed there than WA.

I got my PR based on my experience, Job and quals before I even left Ireland. Came to do a year traveling and got bored not working so picked up job offers very quickly in Sydney and Brisbane but took a job in Kalgoorlie WA.

Canberra I am not allowed any of the IT security jobs I am after as I need to be a citizen for the highest level clearance which I will be next year.

Perth is the odd one loads of jobs but they hire by who you know not what you know, so I found Perth very frustrating to get into positions you wanted or were qualified for. Also customer service in WA is non existent. And they are behind Ireland and the UK in term's of IT, service and general IT security etc

Slowly building up contacts here in Perth and go to all the conferences and shows. So have an SANS InfoSec on at the end of the month.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This coming from a man who wants to spam the UK with immigrants :rolleyes:

This thread is about a UK citizen actively wanting to become an immigrant so whilst you might think you're being clever, leave your political leanings out of it. You have absolutely nothing to offer in this thread, nothing. There is literally no value you can add.

OP, there are quite a few people actually living in Ozzie who have chimed in but you'll note that they don't all agree on all the same things. Part of that is personal and subjective opinion, part of it is shaped by just the sheer scale of the place (3 time zones!) and the differing views that provokes, and part of it is everything else which moving just about as far away as you can from the UK means to how your life will work out.

The most obvious things I can think of to investigate are:

(1) Housing - Sydney is expensive and its housing costs can make your eyes bleed unless you already have substantial rent or mortgage payments. In case you're taking this lightly, it might be an idea to jump on to one of the Property websites to see exactly what you're looking at.

(2) Job opportunities - I know nothing of current trends but Xordium and 1 or 2 others mentioned the health care side of things having peaked and now in real decline. Do your homework.

(3) Cultural fit - All Australians are brilliant and they won't wait for you to ask. They will shout it at you but they will do it in such an infectious way that you won't think they're the asshat they perhaps are. More seriously - and this is a huge generalisation and one I won't apologise too much for - they're upfront, manners be damned, tell it like it is kind of people by and large. In my experience, of course.

(4) Distance - if you or your partner need to see mum or dad or the inlaws every Sunday for brunch then this will not work. Unless they come with you (do not do this). You can be back in the UK within 30 hours, you can skype in real time, you can call for very reasonable rates but you cannot pop round for a chat with your mates or go and check on your mum's cats.

(5) Health (related to 4) - if people you care about are very old or on the decline in terms of health then have a think about where you want to be.

(6) Networks - one of the reasons we found the UK > NZ move so effortless was that my wife, as a kiwi, already had friends and family in NZ. A lot of ex-pats talk about isolation so bear that in mind when upping sticks to a place where you might not know a single other person.

(7) Be realistic - it might work or it might not. It's pretty binary I think. Don't go with the expectation that it MUST work, rather that you hope it WILL work. the world is a really big place and different people enjoy living in different places.

(8) Try before you buy - for some reason I can't now see your OP as I type this and can't remember if you've holidayed in Aus. If you haven't, it's a very good thing to do.

(9) - Good on you! - even if you don't do it, or do do it and don't like it, I salute the fact that you're even thinking of it. Good for you.

Associate
Perth is the odd one loads of jobs but they hire by who you know not what you know, so I found Perth very frustrating to get into positions you wanted or were qualified for.

So if you wanted to move from the UK to Perth in an IT position and have no network at the moment are you saying it is going to be pretty nigh on impossible to get a job there or it is do-able but just more difficult than if you went to, say, Sydney?

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread but the wife and I are actively looking at this at the moment and Perth is the place we have highlighted as to where we would like to go (Sydney is our 2nd choice). The job situation in Perth could well scupper it though by the sounds of things :(

Associate
We could have just been lucky but we have found it a breeze :) though I suppose it all depends on your expectations.

No trouble with the jobs for us, the missus got offered 3 jobs before we even got here, I applied for my first role and was interviewed and employed the next morning!

We have been here just shy of 4 years now, designed and built a house, made some brilliant friends, and have no regrets whatsoever ...... But, it is very very far away so if you are a family person it may cause you problems.

Christmas Day in the pool, drinking a beer and it being 43deg is a bit different though!!!!!!

Associate
So if you wanted to move from the UK to Perth in an IT position and have no network at the moment are you saying it is going to be pretty nigh on impossible to get a job there or it is do-able but just more difficult than if you went to, say, Sydney?

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread but the wife and I are actively looking at this at the moment and Perth is the place we have highlighted as to where we would like to go (Sydney is our 2nd choice). The job situation in Perth could well scupper it though by the sounds of things :(

No that's not correct, it helps though to move through your career. If you do plan on making the move to Perth, send me your cv :)

What does your missus do for a living?

One thing that we did do however was we decided we would only come over here on a permanent visa, we didn't like the 457 limitations.

Last edited:
Associate

Perth relied heavily on the mining boom which is now well in decline due to the price of iron ore. You'll definitely find it much easier to find work in Sydney or Melbourne than you would perth.

Associate

Bloody hard, you might be lucky and be the only one in for the position. But atm with the resources sector slowing (It happens all the time and goes in circles of boom and bust) a lot of IT were let go and the market is flooded.

Most I have come across have little qualifications or good experience yet demand high salary due to the mining industry.

So for every IT job here there are 30 - 80 people applying. I lost out on a high level manager one by one place. 80+ went for it they interviewed 5 and picked one as he had more experience in that industry.

Had an interview yesterday and one today and been asked back for second round on both. Been in the same place for 3 years and need a change. If you want WA you will get jobs in Kalgoorlie and outer towns easier to get a foot in the market.

Last edited:
Associate
I applied for one last week through the Seek website in the Perth area (actually I applied for a few!!). Had a really nice email back from one recruitment guy saying that his client had needed to move fast but he liked my experience and skills and that while it may be difficult to get a job while still in the UK it isn't impossible. I got asked the question I seem to be getting a lot though - "when are you relocating to Australia"? I have had this an awful lot when applying for jobs and when I reply back and say "ideally when I have got a job out there" they just reply back and say "sorry can't really help you right now". I do understand this though as they need to fill jobs quick so they can get paid.

I am looking at Perth city so it may be worth looking at Kalgoorlie and other places then - thanks for the advice smelf1

xxalxx - once I reply to this I will see if you have trust enabled so I can email you my CV :)

Back
Top Bottom