**The Massive TFT Sticky - FAQ, Links and Buyers Guide**

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Be nice if it got a wee update.

last time i bought a monitor was 2005 and still using it. But it now take ten min's of going off and on now before it stays on for some reason. Anyway getting a new game rig come next year but thought i may need to get a new monitor to work with the old machine Cica Nov 2004 build just to surf the web etc.

I thought 27" but a Good 24" seems to be the gamers choice so I'm a bit lost. I used to look at price to workout the best but there are £240 ones looking just as good as £450 ??? So lost a bit. I'll have another good read through this.

Associate
I have a rather random question,not really worthy of a thread

I currently have two monitors,i bought a stand with an extending/pivoting arm for my 2nd screen,due to the monitors design,the vesa mount slighty blocks the DVI port(ever so slightly,feels like a massive oversight by the Monitors manufacturer )

So im stuck with only the Vga port to hook the monitor up to my PC.

My card has 2 Mini DP's,1 DVI and 1 hdmi output.

I at first got a DVI>vga covertor which i plugged into the GPU then ran a standard VGA cable into the monitor.For whatever reason it wouldnt output at 1920x1080,only at other sub 1080 rez's(I think it was because it was just a crappy bit of kit,not sure tho)

So i grabbed a a standard DVI>VGA cable,now it works but it has some ghosting.And frankly i friggin hate it.

Any ideas of what cables/adapters i could use to hook up this screen to my GPU and not have ghosting issues.

Man of Honour
OP
what exactly do you mean by ghosting issues there? is there not a DVI cable perhaps which is a little thinner to allow you to use the DVI port on the monitor?

Associate
This image shows the sort of ghosting i am reffering too http://www.overclockersonline.net/images/articles/samsung/2463UW/large/test-5.jpg

The only way i could fit a dvi cable is if the left hand side of the connector(the screw section,and all the plastic casing that side) didnt exsist.Basically cutting away all the case off of the side,meaning that side of the connecter ends where the casing of the input pins do.

There is no way its possible for me to use a standard DVI cable currently :/ i tried looking for a DVI cable that doesnt have the screw sections on the side and is overall shorter in width,couldnt find one tho

Man of Honour
OP
ghosting like that should not be impacted at all by the connection, whether thats VGA or DVI. it would be caused by pixel response times. the only thing the connection should/might impact would be picture sharpness and quality, with DVI providing a digital end to end signal for a normally sharper image. VGA has to convert to analogue so sometimes isnt quite as sharp. I very much doubt that ghosting has anything to do with the inability to use DVI i'm afraid.

which monitor is it?

Associate
ghosting like that should not be impacted at all by the connection, whether thats VGA or DVI. it would be caused by pixel response times. the only thing the connection should/might impact would be picture sharpness and quality, with DVI providing a digital end to end signal for a normally sharper image. VGA has to convert to analogue so sometimes isnt quite as sharp. I very much doubt that ghosting has anything to do with the inability to use DVI i'm afraid.

which monitor is it?

AoC 2450swda Its a pretty low end monitor(why its my 2nd one,use BenQ as my main).But the ghosting isnt just the monitor.It works fine with a standard Dvi connection(no ghosting).Just sadly thats not possible when using a stand thats isnt the one that comes with it :(

Actually i quick search through Oc'uks monitor section shows that they changed the placement of the inputs on the back of the monitor to avoid the issue i am experiencing with the newist iteration of that product (2470s).On mine they inputs are horizontal rather than vertical

Man of Honour
OP
Ive never known a change of interface to cause ghosting and blurring. Are there any settings in the OSD for overdrive control?

Caporegime
Might as well post this in here first before creating a new thread

Is the spyder 5 any good for calibrating or is the xrite still the best?

Man of Honour
OP
Might as well post this in here first before creating a new thread

Is the spyder 5 any good for calibrating or is the xrite still the best?

i've heard fairly good things about the new Spyder5's, but the X-rite i1 Display Pro is still rated very highly. i've always found the X-rite devices more reliable and easy to use as well

Caporegime
Thanks.

I would like to get the x-rite i1 pro calibrator but I really don't want to spend "that" much on a calibrator :o :p

Seen a few people reporting good things about the spyder5 and it is decent bit cheaper so might try it out, still not sure if £90 is even worth it though...

Back
Top Bottom