Competitions

Associate
Okay I caved and ordered a dual 5650 server. It should be here Wednesday so will have it set up in time for the competition. The question is should I just put Windows 10 on it or try out Windows server?

Soldato
Okay I caved and ordered a dual 5650 server. It should be here Wednesday so will have it set up in time for the competition. The question is should I just put Windows 10 on it or try out Windows server?

I have never used either of those OS but what I can tell you with Win10 is you'll need either professional, enterprise or ultimate in order to recognise both processors, I believe Colinmcr fell foul of this buying Win10 home which only recognised 1 proc.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Couldn't you get another one and then run each OS to see which one is faster over the challenge ?
:D

Soldato
I don't know why he has HT turned off on all his machines, nonetheless a welcomed addition.
and now hes added a load more lol

he did ask last time in the POGS thread if hyper threading makes any difference but theres no way to contact him to let him know unless he reads this, hopefully he'll see it

Last edited:
Associate
From what I've seen on DENIS from accidentally having HT off for a few days, it significantly helps having it on.

Unit processing times were about 16 minutes with HT off and rose to 21 minutes with HT on, but ofcourse the number of units running doubled.

Associate
OP
From what I've seen on DENIS from accidentally having HT off for a few days, it significantly helps having it on.

Unit processing times were about 16 minutes with HT off and rose to 21 minutes with HT on, but ofcourse the number of units running doubled.

Be carefull with the times, they are sending so many different wu`s with different times, from 3 mins to 21 mins might be easy to get confused lol , im doing a batch of 8 min wu`s atm but this will change

Associate
Be carefull with the times, they are sending so many different wu`s with different times, from 3 mins to 21 mins might be easy to get confused lol , im doing a batch of 8 min wu`s atm but this will change

You can tell from looking at the tasks name. The WU's start 3XP_XXXXXXXXX_600_XXXXX_X. The 600 part is the important one for length. 600 is the shortest which usually take about 3 minutes, then you have 1000, 1200, 1800, 2400 and 3600 with the latter taking about 29 minutes depending on your CPU speed. I looked at WU processing times for 2400's which is what I posted :)

Soldato
if its a cpu one and theres a few weeks notice, a few people will be scrabbling around to find cheap xeon / opteron cpus with lots of cores, and to be fair you can probably build something from ebay for the same price as building an i7 pc lol
infact the amd g34 cpus are cheap, its finding a board that's cheap aswell

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yer cpu are prob best, cheaper to run if you turn off folding at the same time as well :)
I just wish intel would let us use more then 1 5960x per pc but it aint gona happen , my 1 was up there with the big boys with just its lil 16 threads hehe

Associate
yer cpu are prob best, cheaper to run if you turn off folding at the same time as well :)
I just wish intel would let us use more then 1 5960x per pc but it aint gona happen , my 1 was up there with the big boys with just its lil 16 threads hehe

Your cpu did very well, I'd be tempted to change my 5930k for a high core count Xeon in my sabertooth board.

Back
Top Bottom